Topics

Amel is going lithium

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hi Scott,

To place the charger in the engineroom has some downsides:
- hunidity
- heat
- limited space so probably the charger is mounted sideways what lowers airflow.
- long wires

I customized widened the switch area and drilled ventilation holes to the alley.
I install 120mm thermocontrolled fans with heat alarms to blow fresh air into the cabinet.

The 120A5000W fits vertical.

The lifepo is smaller than batteries before with same capacity so i could install a new separation.

The starter batt is now behind the onan in the engine room.

No more dirty lead in the cabin. Hydrogen Should not be an issue as most other yachts place the starter batt around the engine room.

Oliver from Vela Nautica

A54#39

Portugal

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Amel is going lithium
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
CC:

I guess this is a reminder that I still owe the group my writeup. :)

Oliver, how do you vent the compartment where you've installed the Victron 24/5000/120 inverter/charger? I mounted mine in the engine compartment (connected with the recommended 2x pair of 50mm2 wires - not 95mm2 as I previously mentioned) in the same location as the old Dolphin 100amp charger, with the same ventilation from outside as the original Amel setup. 

Even then, the charger/inverter gets damn hot especially when we are cooking and the induction, microwave and boiler are drawing tons of current. Or when it's charging at the full 120 amps.

Part of the reason I ask is that the electricians installed the Victron 150/35 MPPT in the same compartment where you installed your charger/inverter (where the main battery switches are) and I'm getting very high temperatures in that closed compartment after a full day's charging. If you've figured out a good cooling solution, I'd rather implement that than try to move my MPPT!

I was considering adding a little timer controlled 24v fan on the vent in the battery compartment and connecting the two compartments, but haven't for two reasons: (1) Amel kept the two compartments isolated. I am loathe to violate that as they probably did that for a reason (2) The fan is just another part to fail and I have enough things to keep up with already! 

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Scott SV Tengah

I never considered adding more heat to the living spaces by venting it into the passageway/alley.

Perhaps my thinking is influenced by the high heat and high humidity I'm dealing with right now, but that passage berth, which is perfect for the off-watch crew member, gets warm enough as is. I'd be loathe to do anything that makes it even hotter.

But you're right, the charger/inverter is mounted sideways in the engine compartment. We directed outside air right near the charger/inverter intake, similar to the old Dolphin setup. The Dolphin lasted 12 years, so I presume the "salt air" won't cause damage. And we don't see output tapering even after running it near capacity for longer periods. We followed the Victron recs for line size and used some online calculators to verify, so I'm not too concerned about voltage drop. 

That said, neither solution is ideal, imo. Boats are always compromises, I guess!
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

You are right about additional heat, at this time its quite cool here but that will change soon.

But I just realized that we might use the old lead acid vent that is useless now. Its not huge but might get some heat out.

As I undestand AMEL did the same with the 60 and mounted heat issue gear under the bunk.

Oliver from Vela Nautica

A54#39

Portugal

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Amel is going lithium
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
CC:

I never considered adding more heat to the living spaces by venting it into the passageway/alley.

Perhaps my thinking is influenced by the high heat and high humidity I'm dealing with right now, but that passage berth, which is perfect for the off-watch crew member, gets warm enough as is. I'd be loathe to do anything that makes it even hotter.

But you're right, the charger/inverter is mounted sideways in the engine compartment. We directed outside air right near the charger/inverter intake, similar to the old Dolphin setup. The Dolphin lasted 12 years, so I presume the "salt air" won't cause damage. And we don't see output tapering even after running it near capacity for longer periods. We followed the Victron recs for line size and used some online calculators to verify, so I'm not too concerned about voltage drop. 

That said, neither solution is ideal, imo. Boats are always compromises, I guess!
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Joerg Esdorn

Sorry, Ofer.  It appears I didn’t post the pics.  Here they are. Sorry for the delay. 

Willem Kroes

Hi Arno,

I bought in China 8 100 Ah at 12 V LifePo4 batteries and imported these by myself into the Netherlands. The total coast was 400 euro per battery. So not cheap, but affordable. After 2 years of use I am very happy with these batteries. I changed the charging system as follows: I reprogrammed the Mastervolt 60A 24 V Chargemaster according to the battery specifications. I bought a new Prestolite 60 A alternator and the internal controller was removed by a Mastervolt dealer and a new Alfa Pro external controller was added and also programmed according to the battery specifications. When the batteries are full the alternator will stop charging and also the temp sensor will interfere when the alternator becomes too hot. First the charge will be half the full charge and when this is not enough the charge will stop at all. After two minutes or so it will start to charge again.
The old Dolphin 30 A charger can't be programmed, but as a backup it works fine after giving it a shock of low voltage by using the coffee machine together with the microwave for a very short time. Afterward the charger will continue charging (dip switch set to gel batteries). 

I haven't changed any 220 V applications until now., but I want to run the airconditioning unit for the aft cabin on the batteries in stead of using the gen set. I will need an electrician to arrange this.

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM#351 KAVANGA

now in the Ionian in Greece

Matt Salatino

Willem,
Who is your Chinese battery source? Is there a website?

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 6, 2019, at 8:24 AM, Willem Kroes <kavanga@...> wrote:

Hi Arno,

I bought in China 8 100 Ah at 12 V LifePo4 batteries and imported these by myself into the Netherlands. The total coast was 400 euro per battery. So not cheap, but affordable. After 2 years of use I am very happy with these batteries. I changed the charging system as follows: I reprogrammed the Mastervolt 60A 24 V Chargemaster according to the battery specifications. I bought a new Prestolite 60 A alternator and the internal controller was removed by a Mastervolt dealer and a new Alfa Pro external controller was added and also programmed according to the battery specifications. When the batteries are full the alternator will stop charging and also the temp sensor will interfere when the alternator becomes too hot. First the charge will be half the full charge and when this is not enough the charge will stop at all. After two minutes or so it will start to charge again.
The old Dolphin 30 A charger can't be programmed, but as a backup it works fine after giving it a shock of low voltage by using the coffee machine together with the microwave for a very short time. Afterward the charger will continue charging (dip switch set to gel batteries). 

I haven't changed any 220 V applications until now., but I want to run the airconditioning unit for the aft cabin on the batteries in stead of using the gen set. I will need an electrician to arrange this.

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM#351 KAVANGA

now in the Ionian in Greece

Scott SV Tengah

FYI it turns out my Quattro is mounted vertically in the engine room, so airflow is as Victron recommends. That is probably why it doesn't suffer any ill effects from being in the engine room.

See attached. 

The Skylla is mounted sideways, but again, I have never experienced reduced output from it. That's probably because it's only running at most 2 hours at a time and that's if the battery bank starts out nearly empty.
--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah

Gerhard Mueller

Willem,

even it was 2 years ago and things may have changed now
please publish your source.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60