Topics

Amel is going lithium

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hi Scott,

To place the charger in the engineroom has some downsides:
- hunidity
- heat
- limited space so probably the charger is mounted sideways what lowers airflow.
- long wires

I customized widened the switch area and drilled ventilation holes to the alley.
I install 120mm thermocontrolled fans with heat alarms to blow fresh air into the cabinet.

The 120A5000W fits vertical.

The lifepo is smaller than batteries before with same capacity so i could install a new separation.

The starter batt is now behind the onan in the engine room.

No more dirty lead in the cabin. Hydrogen Should not be an issue as most other yachts place the starter batt around the engine room.

Oliver from Vela Nautica

A54#39

Portugal

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

From: Scott SV Tengah
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
CC:

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Joerg Esdorn

Sorry, Ofer.  It appears I didn’t post the pics.  Here they are. Sorry for the delay.

Willem Kroes

Hi Arno,

I bought in China 8 100 Ah at 12 V LifePo4 batteries and imported these by myself into the Netherlands. The total coast was 400 euro per battery. So not cheap, but affordable. After 2 years of use I am very happy with these batteries. I changed the charging system as follows: I reprogrammed the Mastervolt 60A 24 V Chargemaster according to the battery specifications. I bought a new Prestolite 60 A alternator and the internal controller was removed by a Mastervolt dealer and a new Alfa Pro external controller was added and also programmed according to the battery specifications. When the batteries are full the alternator will stop charging and also the temp sensor will interfere when the alternator becomes too hot. First the charge will be half the full charge and when this is not enough the charge will stop at all. After two minutes or so it will start to charge again.
The old Dolphin 30 A charger can't be programmed, but as a backup it works fine after giving it a shock of low voltage by using the coffee machine together with the microwave for a very short time. Afterward the charger will continue charging (dip switch set to gel batteries).
.

I haven't changed any 220 V applications until now., but I want to run the airconditioning unit for the aft cabin on the batteries in stead of using the gen set. I will need an electrician to arrange this.

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM#351 KAVANGA

now in the Ionian in Greece

Matt Salatino

Willem,
Who is your Chinese battery source? Is there a website?

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 6, 2019, at 8:24 AM, Willem Kroes <kavanga@...> wrote:

[...]

Scott SV Tengah

FYI it turns out my Quattro is mounted vertically in the engine room, so airflow is as Victron recommends. That is probably why it doesn't suffer any ill effects from being in the engine room.

See attached.

The Skylla is mounted sideways, but again, I have never experienced reduced output from it. That's probably because it's only running at most 2 hours at a time and that's if the battery bank starts out nearly empty.
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Gerhard Mueller

Willem,

even it was 2 years ago and things may have changed now
please publish your source.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60