Amel - made Genoa Furler Bronze Spur Gear

I have recently given out the contact information of the Swiss guy who owned the machine shop that made the genoa furler for Amel. Apparently, he has gotten greedy and is quoting outrageous prices for spare parts. I need to borrow the bronze Spur Gear from someone to see if we can reverse engineer it. All SM owners are going to need this Spur Gear, especially if they have not added the ability to add grease to the genoa furler. Email me at brouse@...

image.png

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Bill

We tried to email the Swiss guy 4 times with no reply.  We would really appreciate it if you can have the furling gear fabricated by another source.

We appreciate your efforts to assist with this furling gear issue and will definitely be interested in purchasing it.

Kind regards

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently cruising Turkey

--
Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi

I will try, but first I need to borrow an unused new gear from someone.
Hoping I find one...I know there are several out there.

Bill

<brouse@...> wrote:
I have recently given out the contact information of the Swiss guy who owned the machine shop that made the genoa furler for Amel. Apparently, he has gotten greedy and is quoting outrageous prices for spare parts. I need to borrow the bronze Spur Gear from someone to see if we can reverse engineer it. All SM owners are going to need this Spur Gear, especially if they have not added the ability to add grease to the genoa furler. Email me at brouse@...

image.png

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
View My Training Calendar

--
Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi

A member of this Group and SM owner is loaning us a new and never-used SM Genoa repair kit that was once offered by Amel. 2 other SM owners have volunteered to get the Spur Gear duplicated at a machine shop that will be able to accept orders and ship them as needed. I will post the information and contact information in a new thread.

Every SM owner should consider purchasing the bronze Spur Gear for the SM Genoa. When the current gear wears out, one of the other options will be to replace the Genoa Furler completely with one made by FACNOR at a cost of about 10.000 euro.

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Craig Briggs

Bill,
That sounds great - thanks for coordinating.
My understanding is the SM and SN furlers were identical except for 24v vs 12v motors. Can you (or others) confirm that?
Many thanks,
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Our goals are:
  1. To document and confirm the size of the Spur gear and document the other parts included in the Amel-sourced rebuild kit
  2. To find a machine shop that can:
    1. Duplicate the Bronze Spur Gear
    2. Sell & Ship the Spur Gear to Amel owners when ordered
At this time I am not sure that the steel worm gear was included in the kit, and I am not sure that the worm is needed in the kit because all of the worn parts I have seen are limited to bearings and the Spur Gear. I believe most of the other parts included in the Amel-sourced rebuild kit can be sourced by an Amel owner at various places local to the owner.

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 10:08 AM Craig Briggs <sangaris68@...> wrote:
Bill,
That sounds great - thanks for coordinating.
My understanding is the SM and SN furlers were identical except for 24v vs 12v motors. Can you (or others) confirm that?
Many thanks,
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

hanspeter baettig

Hi Bill
Its Hanspeter, Tamango 2; Nr.16
The Swiss Guy you mentioned is not doing anymore this Spur Gear. He is more then 80 Years old. I got the last Spur Gear Amel had in stock from Albin in Martinique, last Year.
My old one was a littel worn out, but still functioned after 29 Years of lots of sailing . 4 times Atlantic crossing.
So What should I do ?
Send the old one to you to Texas ?
Pls advice.
I’m until January in Santa Marta, Columbia
You have I think still my email
Best regards
Hanspeter
SM 16, Tamango 2

Von meinem iPad gesendet

Am 08.12.2021 um 17:03 schrieb CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>:

I have recently given out the contact information of the Swiss guy who owned the machine shop that made the genoa furler for Amel. Apparently, he has gotten greedy and is quoting outrageous prices for spare parts. I need to borrow the bronze Spur Gear from someone to see if we can reverse engineer it. All SM owners are going to need this Spur Gear, especially if they have not added the ability to add grease to the genoa furler. Email me at brouse@...

<image.png>

<image.png>

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

Hanspeter,

Thanks for your email and your offer. I know the Swiss guy is 80 and not doing this anymore, but he has some parts inventory from when he was making this furler for Amel. I have had dozens of email discussions with him over the past several years.

I do not need your old Spur gear. Another SM owner is loaning us a complete overhaul kit supplied by Amel. We are attempting to find a quality and reliable machine shop to duplicate the original Spur and ship it to Amel owners when they order it from him.

I will let everyone know sometime next year when the details are worked out.
Bill

On Sun, Dec 12, 2021 at 12:01 PM hanspeter baettig <hanspeter.baettig@...> wrote:
[...]

Alan Leslie

Excellent Bill !
I emailed the Swiss guy, but never got an answer.
I am in for a spur gear when they are available.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

Hi Bill,

What do you know about this furler? Does it take the same spares you're talking about here?

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
NZ

On Mon, Dec 13, 2021, 3:12 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
A member of this Group and SM owner is loaning us a new and never-used SM Genoa repair kit that was once offered by Amel. 2 other SM owners have volunteered to get the Spur Gear duplicated at a machine shop that will be able to accept orders and ship them as needed. I will post the information and contact information in a new thread.

Every SM owner should consider purchasing the bronze Spur Gear for the SM Genoa. When the current gear wears out, one of the other options will be to replace the Genoa Furler completely with one made by FACNOR at a cost of about 10.000 euro.

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Bill,

Is this bronze spur gear for the Genoa gearbox of a different size or the same size as the one for the main and outhaul gearbox?

Best Regards
Eric
Sv Abayomi
SM 158

Eric Freedman

I had my rigging changed in Martinique 3 years ago. I also had Amel rebuild the Genoa furler.

This was after about 75,000 miles.

When they took the furler apart they noticed my grease fittings and then showed me the bronze gear. They said it looked like new. They did change the bearings and seals. Moral do as we do grease all the gearboxes twice a year . It takes 20 minutes.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Is this bronze spur gear for the Genoa gearbox of a different size or the same size as the one for the main and outhaul gearbox?

Best Regards
Eric
Sv Abayomi
SM 158

Jose Venegas

I also had Ipanema’s Genoa furler overhauled in Martinique in 2019 and was told the same about the bronce gear which I have kept well greased for the last 10 years

José
Ipanema M2k 278

Enviado desde mi iPhone

Eric Freedman

These are photos that Maude sent me about 10 years ago of the spares that Amel had in stock at the time.
JUST a FYI.
Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

I also had Ipanema’s Genoa furler overhauled in Martinique in 2019 and was told the same about the bronce gear which I have kept well greased for the last 10 years

José
Ipanema M2k 278

Enviado desde mi iPhone

Nicolas Klene

Hello Bill
I have a very good well equipped with latest machine technology shop who has done parts for me before , so if you could give me a few scaled measure , infos &  photos I could ask for a quote !
All the best
Nicolas
DarNico
Amel 53#471
Marseille 🇫🇷

Le 12 déc. 2021 à 17:22, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> a écrit :

[...]

SM2K # 471
In Marseille

Nick,

OK, thanks for that. I want to get all the drawings needed for duplication. When I have those I will be in touch