Topics

AMEL orange boot stripe

Ian Townsend

I know that the orange boot stripe color is AMEL specific. But has anyone used an Awlgrip or Interlux Stock product that is close? I’ve search the site and can’t find anything. The closet I see is Awlgrip International Orange or Vermillion. Not looking to go Desert Sand.

Grazie tutti.

Ian

SM153
Loca Lola II
Maryland

Arnold Mente

AWLGRIB International Orange I think is very close!!

Best

Arnold
SV Zephyr
SM203

Am 02.10.2020 um 21:27 schrieb Ian Townsend <smlocalola@...>:

I know that the orange boot stripe color is AMEL specific. But has anyone used an Awlgrip or Interlux Stock product that is close? I’ve search the site and can’t find anything. The closet I see is Awlgrip International Orange or Vermillion. Not looking to go Desert Sand.

Grazie tutti.

Ian

SM153
Loca Lola II
Maryland

AWL GRIP Touch Up Kit 2-K 180ml - Ihr Yachtfarben Spezialist

--
Arnold
SY Zephyr SM203

Jose Venegas

Ian, I used the Awlgrip and it looks very nice.

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

I painted the boot stripe red, and just had it done in GelCoat.  I am looking forward to seeing the longevity of GelCoat vs paint.  The paint lasted about 2.5 years under the stern, but the bow still was looking great.  Not sure what paint was used when I had it painted in Trinidad 2.5 years ago.  Probably should have painted it the stock Orange like you are doing, but just liked red.

Regarding the photo from Jose....  They always look beautiful splash day!  But, you don't know how good a job was done until 6 months later.  Or, unless you watch the workers every second, or just do it yourself. But, even then you probably will find the problems in 6 months.

Cheers,

Ken
Aquarius
SM2K#262

seagasm

Actually, while we are on the subject of colour, using AWLGRIP for example, what is the recommended colour match for, the brown thin stripes on the deck, the light tan imitation teak on the deck (I think Desert Sand), the off white/light cream used about the external and cock pit surrounds, the white used on the hull?

Thank you

Best Regards
Barry & Robyn
Tradewinds III SM #171

Jose Venegas

Ken,

Actually the picture was taken in Glaucester April 2019, more than 7 years after it was painted! What was new in the pic was the bottom paint. The remarkable thing is that the paint is still shining after 8 years with minimal amount of maintenance. The weakness of the paint is when you scratch it, because it can not be buffed like the gelcoat. Up to a month ago, I had been lucky and had had NO scratches. Unfortunately that changed when we entered sailing to Curaçao with very little wind and with a overheating engine (actually I erroneously thought it was). As we approached the dock, one of the fenders came up and it caused a 3 feet scratch that I will have to repaired when I get to Cartagena. Well 9 years without scratches was not too bad considering that the first 8 years we were getting in and out of a marina in Boston every weekend, 6 months per year.

Jose
Ipanema SM2K 278