Topics

Amel original hard antifouling?

Scott SV Tengah

Hi all,

We're hauled out right now and the antifouling seems to be flaking off the boat down to a very hard, shiny antifoul. The odd thing was that the antifoul looked great upon haulout and slowly started flaking after it dried out. Underwater, it looked fine.

I have read somewhere that I can't recall the brand of antifoul that Amel puts on new hulls, particularly the Amel54 / SM. Anyone know what the brand/model antifoul originally used by Amel? Thanks.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Gerhard Mueller

During the decades I have sailing I have learned the kind of antifouling does not depend of the brand of the boat but rather more of the water the boat is swimming in.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Scott,

Amel has changed antifouling over the years. Amel currently uses SEAJET 033 SHOGUN. Amel SAV told me that SEAJET antifouling is compatible with all others, although I would double-check that. I continue to respect the quality of Micron 66.

I had antifouling flaking upon haul-out as you describe. It was traced to an unscrupulous painter who substantially thinned my Micron 66 before application with an airless sprayer. Like you, it was fine as long as it was wet, but once it dried, it started flaking. The manufacturer of Micron 66, International, traced the problem to a well-known painter in New Zealand. International reimbursed me for some of the costs of removing all of the antifouling. I am not saying this is your issue, but it definitely happened to me. We had everything scraped and sanded down to the gelcoat and started over.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 3:27 AM Gerhard Mueller via groups.io <carcode=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
During the decades I have sailing I have learned the kind of antifouling does not depend of the brand of the boat but rather more of the water the boat is swimming in.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60
Currently Kalamata, Greece

Scott SV Tengah

Thanks Bill.

We are scraping as much as we can and then going to feather sand and paint over it. The yard here can't do soda blasting so I don't want to risk a hand sanding. Tengah is 13 years old so maybe next time around its time to go down to gel coat.

The manual specifies a hard bottom paint so I presume it was something other than the self ablative Shogun 33. Any idea which hard paints were used in the past?

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Scott, I was told that Amel used the International Micron series, including Micron 66 and the less effective Micron Extra were used in the past. I believe that Hempel makes a reasonably good hard antifouling. They have several ranges including one for fast boats that you do not want. I am not 100% sure which one you want for cruising, although I suspect it is Hempel Cruising Performer.

Bill

On Sat, Nov 21, 2020 at 10:30 AM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Thanks Bill.

We are scraping as much as we can and then going to feather sand and paint over it. The yard here can't do soda blasting so I don't want to risk a hand sanding. Tengah is 13 years old so maybe next time around its time to go down to gel coat.

The manual specifies a hard bottom paint so I presume it was something other than the self ablative Shogun 33. Any idea which hard paints were used in the past?

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Scott SV Tengah

Bill,

I guess I should have been more clear with my original question.

I already have micron antifoul on hand but it seems the existing paint is peeling back to what appears to be a hard antifoul. As such I want to get some idea of what this hard antifoul might be to make sure it's compatible.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Scott,

I don't believe anyone can answer that except the person who owned her when it was applied. Possibly it is pealing because a primer was required between the new and the old. I gave you my experience which was Micron 66 on top of Micron 66, but the top layer had been seriously thinned during the application.

Good luck!

Bill