From: spritoaffine <captaingrey@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Sent: Wednesday, 3 October 2012, 21:01
Subject: [Amel] Rudder cables

Hello All
I have been reading old posts with regard to rudder cables hoping to find some information on the adjustment process. I have about 4 or 5 inches of free movement at the wheel rim before the rudder moves and this seems to me to be excessive

The Neco autopilot which I'm sure does not have the most sophisticated electronics by today's standards is easily confused by anything other than a smooth sea state and I wonder whether the aforementioned play is a contributory factor. Your thoughts please

I was happy to read in the posts of the system being able to work on one cable, let's hope it's never needed

David Worthington
Sharki148 Spirito Affine
Preveza Greece

svbebe <yahoogroups@...>

Dave,

I believe Graham's explanation is very accurate and very clear. I would add to check quadrant tightness to the rudder post.

On Super Maramu #387, the quadrant is attached to the rudder post with a clamp and two bolts. We found that slightly loose bolts/nuts on the quadrant clamp allowed for 2-3" of helm movement.

How this helps you.

Bill
BeBe, SM2k, #387
Currently Fethiye, Turkey

--- In amelyachtowners@..., Graham Johnston <grahamjohnston42@...> wrote:

Hi Dave,
We had similar play in our system when we bought Zephyr. The cables are just standard Teleflex type steering cables, in our case Ultraflex M53 19ft F53, and are easily adjusted. At the rudder end of each cable you will find that the cable is mounted in the bulkhead with a circular threaded flange. Simply use a pair of pipe grips to rotate the tubular metal end fitting and adjust both cables equally to remove most of the play. If you go too far the steering with become stiff. We have less than an inch play and the steeering is smooth and free.

I hope that I have explained this well enough if not let me know and I will send some photos.

Regards
Graham

________________________________
I have been reading old posts with regard to rudder cables hoping to find some information on the adjustment process. I have about 4 or 5 inches of free movement at the wheel rim before the rudder moves and this seems to me to be excessive

The Neco autopilot which I'm sure does not have the most sophisticated electronics by today's standards is easily confused by anything other than a smooth sea state and I wonder whether the aforementioned play is a contributory factor. Your thoughts please

I was happy to read in the posts of the system being able to work on one cable, let's hope it's never needed

David Worthington
Sharki148 Spirito Affine
Preveza Greece

laetitiaii

Hi,

If you are adjusting a large play in the steering cables, it is wise to pull out the cables. check their state, give them a good lubrication if they are not damaged and re-install.

As for the Neco autopilot, if there is any sea... the boat will sway a lot, unlike the almost straight course steered when you use a more modern electric pilot.

The previous owner of my boat had to complete the arrival in the Med from the Açores with the jury rudder arm. It works, but its not simple...

Serge Opera, Mango #51

I have been reading old posts with regard to rudder cables hoping to find some information on the adjustment process. I have about 4 or 5 inches of free movement at the wheel rim before the rudder moves and this seems to me to be excessive

The Neco autopilot which I'm sure does not have the most sophisticated electronics by today's standards is easily confused by anything other than a smooth sea state and I wonder whether the aforementioned play is a contributory factor. Your thoughts please

I was happy to read in the posts of the system being able to work on one cable, let's hope it's never needed

David Worthington
Sharki148 Spirito Affine
Preveza Greece

Dave_Benjamin

Since we're discussing rudder cables again, I'm hoping someone can offer clues on lubrication points on a Maramu. I have not figured out how to lube the system.

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "svbebe" <yahoogroups@...> wrote:

[...]

GrahamJohnston42 <grahamjohnston42@yahoo.com>

Hi Dave,
Although it is a very long time since I used to install Teleflex steering systems I seem to recall that the cables are sealed for life and have a plastic/teflon type liner and lubrication was not recommended as mineral oils would damage the liner. There are no obvious lubrication points on our Ultraflex cables, so perhaps the same applies. I could be wrong though it is over 25 years since I last worked with them!

Regards
Graham

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Dave_Benjamin" <dave_benjamin@...> wrote:

[...]

spritoaffine

Hi GrahamYou were up and about early on this glorious autumn morning. Re steering cables I found no method of lubricating them and was told by a pal with a Maramu that they were sealed for life, I'll look on the web against your cable spec and see what I can find. Hope you're keeping wellBest regards David

To: amelyachtowners@...

I have been reading old posts with regard to rudder cables hoping to find some information on the adjustment process. I have about 4 or 5 inches of free movement at the wheel rim before the rudder moves and this seems to me to be excessive
The Neco autopilot which I'm sure does not have the most sophisticated electronics by today's standards is easily confused by anything other than a smooth sea state and I wonder whether the aforementioned play is a contributory factor. Your thoughts please
I was happy to read in the posts of the system being able to work on one cable, let's hope it's never needed
David Worthington
Sharki148 Spirito Affine
Preveza Greece

laetitiaii

Hi,
After the previous owner of my boat had to replace the streering cables which broke during a transatlantic crossing I was concerned with this situation since I was considering crossing my Mango  singlehanded!
When I was intalling a new Autohelm electric pilot (retaining the NECO as a back up), I examined the short portion of the cables which could be exposed by pushing or pulling the cables and  either pushing or pulling the separate covers at the wheel end of the cables. While the existing (2005) litterature indicated that Teleflex cables were permanently lubricated, I could not readily ascertain if my cables were Teleflex brand and could not see any sign of lubrification.
I injected fine lubricating oil in the cables with a seringe (expecting that oil injected from the terminations situated behind the wheel would flow down to the rudder end by gravity) and I used Superlube grease to lubricate extremities and all moving parts.

Serge V Opera  Mango #51.

________________________________
De : David Worthington <captaingrey@...>
À : amelyachtowners@...
Envoyé le : samedi 6 octobre 2012 5h42

To: amelyachtowners@...

I have been reading old posts with regard to rudder cables hoping to find some information on the adjustment process. I have about 4 or 5 inches of free movement at the wheel rim before the rudder moves and this seems to me to be excessive
The Neco autopilot which I'm sure does not have the most sophisticated electronics by today's standards is easily confused by anything other than a smooth sea state and I wonder whether the aforementioned play is a contributory factor. Your thoughts please
I was happy to read in the posts of the system being able to work on one cable, let's hope it's never needed
David Worthington
Sharki148 Spirito Affine
Preveza Greece

Dave_Benjamin

Graham,

Thank you for responding. I thought the same thing but the owner's manual I have for the boat mentions periodic lubrication. Maybe it was lost in translation?

Cheers,
Dave

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "GrahamJohnston42" <grahamjohnston42@...> wrote:

[...]

I have a reply from Ultraflex regarding lubrication of the steering cable which confirms what I thought. By the way the same applies to the engine control cables, lubrication is not recommended.

 ' The cables are designed to have a lifetime grease with no additional lubrication required.'

Regards
Graham

________________________________

I have been reading old posts with regard to rudder cables hoping to find some information on the adjustment process. I have about 4 or 5 inches of free movement at the wheel rim before the rudder moves and this seems to me to be excessive

The Neco autopilot which I'm sure does not have the most sophisticated electronics by today's standards is easily confused by anything other than a smooth sea state and I wonder whether the aforementioned play is a contributory factor. Your thoughts please

I was happy to read in the posts of the system being able to work on one cable, let's hope it's never needed

David Worthington
Sharki148 Spirito Affine
Preveza Greece

Ellen Cahill

Hi Serge,

I was hoping to see how your steering cables have held up after you lubricated them a number of years ago. I'm having some issues with stiff steering so considering this option.

Thanks,
Ellen
Mango - Saol Nua