Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Introduction

Anne and John <hollamby@...>

Message text written by INTERNET:amelyachtowners@...
<
Super Maramu No 319 Bali Hai is in the marina at Ay Nicholau and we hope to
rejoin her there about 8 August. We have made a number of "improvements"
including an excellent helmsmans seat ,owners bunk,navigators seat
etc..Good cockpit table to be installed when we return.We should be very
happy to show you these if you are interested.
Incidentally we think you spoke with my wife Anne when we were in Hania.

Regards John Hollamby

Anne-Sophie Schmitt <nearlynothing@...>

I would be very interested to know the details of your
improvements. I have #308. This winter I intend to
raise the fixed dodger by 50 mm (so one can actually
have a clear line of vision forward) and to replace
the plexi windscreen windows with properly built SS
frames, divided windows with the outboard 2 opening,
glass in the place of plexi. I think the engineering
can be very clean and minimally "invasive". The final
profile will be little altered, more pleasing I think,
and far more practical. I liked the helm seat on my
old Maramu better, and intend to cut away the left
arm-rest on the standard SM helm. I look forward to
your details. Thank you. Claude Roessiger
--- Anne and John <hollamby@...> wrote:
Message text written by
INTERNET:amelyachtowners@...
<

http://autos.yahoo.com

Anne and John <hollamby@...>

Message text written by INTERNET:amelyachtowners@...
<
I removed the Amel seat by taking out the bolts and slowly cut through the
mastic with a long razor knife. I had obtained two pedestals from New
Zealand,these are important because all the other makes do not seem to have
up/down and in/out movements with gas filled struts.The pedestal fits
perfectly on the centre line of the wheel and is secured with bolts through
six new holes in the floor of the cockpit. You have to remove the light
fitting in the engine space,cut away the foam sound proofing and put a
piece of marine ply larger than the base of the pedestal on the underside
of the cockpit floor to take the securing bolts and put mastic on the base
before fixing. Then fix the foam back with contact glue and refix the
light.
The pedestal takes any of a number of plastic seats....mine was an import
from the States available in Europe and my wife made some removable
cushions secured by press studs and it looks great.
The lowest position of the seat is about level with the cockpit seats and
the highest position is similar to the Amel seat from which I coud not see
the horizon. As the seat swivels one can actually face the people in the
cockpit and turn back when you like,it can of course be locked in any
direction and the movements are very easy thanks to the gas struts.The
backwards and forwards movement is about three inches.
The table is then unfixable as the supports are gone but we are about to
get a fitting that will solve that problem although it will mean that the
table will be stored in a locker when not needed.
As the pedestal is made in NZ it is not expensive and could easily be sent
air freight.The fax no of the Kiwi company is on my boat and if you want it
let me know and I will send it on.
The second pedestal replaces the Amel stool which is easily removed by
taking out the bolt under the floor.The wooden base is fixed with a mastic
and has to be cut away with a chisel. The floor is strong enough to take
the pedestal bolted down through a new hardwood pad and I moved the
position of the seat forward as far as possible,ie so that the pad still
covers the hole which supported the original stool. It might have been
better if I had moved the position an inch or so nearer the centre line of
the boat.
Moving the position forward gets the seat out of the way a bit and suits us
as we are right handed at the chart table.
The seat was then upholstered and is very comfortable and suits us who are
over six feet tall and also my grandchildren who are about four feet high
!!
I would post some pics to this site if I knew how !!!!!

Regards John Hollamby

Anne-Sophie Schmitt <nearlynothing@...>

Thank you for the detail. I will solve the view out
from the helm by raising the dodger 50 mm. Amel should
take note of this visibility issue, either lowering
the helm seat or raising the dodger. Thanks.
[...]
!!!!!

Regards John Hollamby

http://autos.yahoo.com

Anne and John <hollamby@...>

Message text written by INTERNET:amelyachtowners@...
<
If you raise the fixed dodger you will have to make a big alteration to the
bimini so that it can still be opened and closed.

Regards John Hollamby SM319 Bali Hai

Anne-Sophie Schmitt <nearlynothing@...>

Actually very little; only the middle support tubing
must be slightly shortened, by approximately 40mm each
side; a metal saw and a drill will achieve this. The
front one can remain as is and the rear-most one can
stay in exactly the same position as it is. I think
you will see what I mean if you look at this "on the
boat". Thanks. Best regards