Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] 3 topics

jboucharla@...

Fresh water to toilet bowl

If you want to do that you should remember that on a live ship the fresh
water system is constantly pressurised and therefore fresh water will be
continuously seeping into your toilet bowl and draining your fresh water
tank. To avoid that you need a solenoid valve switched on by the red toilet
flush button to open the fresh water line when you do flush and keep it
closed otherwise. Also you should be careful about the possibility of your
toilet bowl water backing into your fresh water tank with all attendant
problems.....

To avoid such problems you would have to run a fresh water pipe direct from
the tank to the toilet flush sea water hull intake (before the flush sea
water pump) and Tee it there. This involves more pipe runs in awkward places
but would be the safest way of doing it, both avoiding the constant pressure
problem and the potential water flow back from the bowl.

I had discussed this issue with Amel for my boat when ordering her but they
did not want to do it then. They'll come to it some day.

Good luck,

Jean Boucharlat
SM 212 "Satchimi"

John Martin <jjmartin24@...>

Dear Jean
Thanks very much for the prompt reply. Regarding your first point, yest my plan was to Tee into the fresh water before it gets to the pump that pressurizes the fresh water system. So it would seem to me this would not put pressure on the toilet system, it should be the same as the salt water input from the sea chest. You also have a good point about toilet water backing into the fresh water tank. If I installed a check valve (a valve that only lets water flow in one direction) at the Tee, many feet away from the toilets, wouldn't this take care of the toilet water backing into the fresh water tank ?
Thanks again
John Martin
SM 248 "Moon Dog"

[...]

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

jboucharla@...

Yes, you're right concerning the fresh water pressure and the check valve.
It does remain that the toilet pump itself (the one in the toilet bowl base)
will not be able to draw fresh water from your tank. It is only designed to
move the water that is already in the bowl while also macerating.

To get fresh water into your bowl you will need at some point in the fresh
water line a pump controlled by the red flush button. Here your choice is
either to use the existing seawater pump and tee it, but piping becomes a bit
complex, or install a completely independent pump. If you go for the second
solution you will also need an electric switchover from one (freshwater) to
the other (saltwater) pump in order to avoid running both together.

One possible solution, if using the original seawater pump, would be to move
it behind the toilet bowl and on the right, but, judging from your hull
number, you probably have the airconditionning compressor assembly installed
there which does not leave much room for extra equipment.

All the best.

Jean Boucharlat

asm283 <no_reply@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "John Martin"
Hi John How are you enjoying your new boat. I read in Crusaders web
site that Ian had found a device that was connected in line with the
sea water intake for the toilet. This device let out a steady stream
of blue liquid whenever the toilet is flushed. Ian if you read this
maybe you can give us some info on what it was. The sea water can
smell pretty bad if you leave the boat for any lenght of time. What I
did on my boat if I knew I was not going to be there for a few weeks
is. I would open the raw water strainer and pour in a little blue
liquid,the same as you would pour in your holding tank,. I then would
pump the heads untill the blue stuff came trough. This worked well as
the blue liquid mixed with the water killed any organisims in the
salt water and stopped the smell. The other alternative is to use the
heads on a regular basis.

Vito Ciaravino

<jjmartin24@h...> wrote:
[...]

Service.

Ian Shepherd <g4ljf@...>

Blue Water Toilet Flush

Hi John & Vito,

yes I did read with interest what John is trying to do. For Crusader I bought an inline unit from West Marine (sorry but I don't have a catalogue to hand). However it was the type that has a screw cap and pipe outlets on each side and takes cylindrical solid pellets of the blue stuff. I mounted it to a bracket that I made which was then riveted above the water maker inlet filter. I cut the feed to one of the toilet sea water pumps and connected it to the unit. I then tee'd both pumps to the outlet side, having removed and capped one of the feed pipes from the manifold on the forward engine room bulkhead.

It worked well, though the supplied pellets did not last long, so I ended up by buying regular household pellets and breaking them into small pieces with a pair of pliers ...it's cheaper but messy! The trick of using these cheaper pellets is only to use a small piece at a time, else you get a sludge in the dispensing unit that blocks up the tiny exit holes.

I am sure that it helped with the 'smell' problem, though it is messy and you can end up getting the blue all over the place! For my new boat, I shall try a couple of those pellet holders that simply hang from the inside of the toilet bowl. I have seen them on another yacht and they seem to work well, though it won't cure the stagnant water problem when the boat is left unattended. The only way that I see to cure that is either to connect to the fresh water tank (via a swan neck), or for Amel to have an inlet adjacent to each toilet, as is done on most boats. However, I fully understand that they do not do this in order to stick to their philosophy of minimising through hull connections.

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who is successfully flushing their toilets from the fresh water tank.

Regards

Ian Shepherd

SM #299