Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Bow locker seals

karkauai

I posted this s few weeks ago with no definitive answers, trying again.  I want to replace my deck locker gaskets, and haven’t found a source for them other than Amel.  Bill R’s post earlier indicated they are hollow and reinforced at the corners with something in the hollow.  John was looking for a 1inch “half-round” gasket.  Richard built up new gaskets out of neoprene layers. John and Anne found leaking spots with a hose test with her in the locker, and said Amel drilled small holes in the seals at those points and injected silicone which stopped the leaks.

I have found 1-inch half round gaskets in three configurations: D with a large hollow, D with a 3/16 hole down the center, and Solid half round.

Does anyone know which of these profiles most closely resembles the originals?

Are the originals truly 1” half-round with 1inch height?

What material are they?  Neoprene? Something else?

What material was used to reinforce them at the corners?

John and Anne, is the Amel silicone injection repair holding up?

Thanks for any advice/thoughts/sources/etc

Kent
SM243
Kristy

Kent,

I believe the difference between what is available today in D profile gaskets and what was available to Amel when the SM was made is that gasket manufacturers have changed the density of the neoprene foam used to make the gasket, thereby lowering their material costs, which enables them to lower resale costs, which is the number one thing demanded by buyers. Get it?

That said and assuming I am correct, 1-inch half round gaskets in the configuration of D with a 3/16 hole down the center may be the best solution. Direct me to the source, and I will investigate further.

Does anyone know which of these profiles most closely resembles the originals?
D Profile with a large hole in the center.

Are the originals truly 1” half-round with 1 inch height?
25mmX25mm (25mm = 0.984252")

What material are they?  Neoprene? Something else?
I think they are  neoprene foam

What material was used to reinforce them at the corners?
Amel inserted a round piece of solid neoprene foam about 10cm long and about Ø12-15mm inside the D gasket at the corners.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:51 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Stephen Davis

Hi Bill,

How does this product look using the BT Tape?

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 8:02 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill and Kent. I would suspect it is the D with the large hole but the is an opinion from my office chair. Ill be on the boat later and Ill look.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 04 August 2019 at 06:02 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Steve,

Note that Trim-LOC says it uses EPDM Rubber.

EPDM is related to polyethylene...I assume that this will be similar to polyfoam. The specs state that "compression Rating Recommended 25% compression for the maximum performance." This is where I had a failure with the gasket I previously used. If you notice the weight of the engine room hatch, it will compress the D Gasket to more than 25%, especially if the center hole is large.

Maybe the one that Kent found with a 3/16" hole will be the best.

It will take about 90' to do everything.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 1:34 PM Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...> wrote:
[...]

Thank you for the info.

Steve

On Aug 3, 2019, at 10:42, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Here’s the site I was looking at.  These are truly half-round with base 1”, height 1/2”(not 1”).

I’ll contact them and Steve’s site to see if I can find 1” x 1” high D profile in neoprene.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

[...]

Hi Kent and Bill. I checked on Ocean Pearl today and all the hatch seals unquestionably have the large hole in the center

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 04 August 2019 at 20:11 "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Danny, are they half-round ie 1” x 1/2”, or taller ie 1” x 1”?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Aug 4, 2019, at 5:30 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

If I am not mistaken, they have exactly what I think will work best, which is CACD240:
image.png

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Let me know what they say

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 3:11 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I am resending this because the first email did not really look correct with HTML
image.png

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

http://www.acmerubber.com/round.htm

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 11:41 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I'll measure today, but they are wider than higher but of course they've had a lot of years of compression.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 August 2019 at 01:37 "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

I would think A is closest to what I have on Ocean Pearl

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocen Pearl

On 05 August 2019 at 04:47 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Alan Leslie

Ours look more like A

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Danny I am sure A represents what Amel installed, but since apparently all manufacturers have cheapened the foam by lowering the density. This is the reason that I believe I would replace it with B profile.

That said, I will wait for a final judgement until after Kent has talked to the manufacturer.

Kent, you should ask: Is B better than A in situations where the compression will be greater than 25%.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019, 2:23 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

The important thing is that the material should not be so firm and high that it stresses the hinges and will latch down evenly. Too thick or firm would make stress and uneven compression that could lead to leaks.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 August 2019 at 08:10 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

I’ll call in the morning.  Just to be sure, the height of the original gasket is 1” or 25mm, correct?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Aug 4, 2019, at 4:30 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes. 1" or 25mm

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019, 8:22 PM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

eric freedman

Hi Kent,

What gasket did you find for this job?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

I ordered from Amel, I haven’t received it yet, but Maud had several kinds.  I described what was originally installed and she said she’d send what appears to be the same.  It’s a D with all the walls the same, about 5mm thick all the way.  She didn’t know anything about the cylindrical piece that was described as placed into the D seals at the corners, and said they don’t have anything like that.

When I get it, I’ll take some pics and try to describe the material and compressibility.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243