Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Bow locker seals

karkauai

I posted this s few weeks ago with no definitive answers, trying again.  I want to replace my deck locker gaskets, and haven’t found a source for them other than Amel.  Bill R’s post earlier indicated they are hollow and reinforced at the corners with something in the hollow.  John was looking for a 1inch “half-round” gasket.  Richard built up new gaskets out of neoprene layers. John and Anne found leaking spots with a hose test with her in the locker, and said Amel drilled small holes in the seals at those points and injected silicone which stopped the leaks.

I have found 1-inch half round gaskets in three configurations: D with a large hollow, D with a 3/16 hole down the center, and Solid half round.

Does anyone know which of these profiles most closely resembles the originals?

Are the originals truly 1” half-round with 1inch height?

What material are they?  Neoprene? Something else?

What material was used to reinforce them at the corners?

John and Anne, is the Amel silicone injection repair holding up?

Thanks for any advice/thoughts/sources/etc

Kent
SM243
Kristy

Kent,

I believe the difference between what is available today in D profile gaskets and what was available to Amel when the SM was made is that gasket manufacturers have changed the density of the neoprene foam used to make the gasket, thereby lowering their material costs, which enables them to lower resale costs, which is the number one thing demanded by buyers. Get it?

That said and assuming I am correct, 1-inch half round gaskets in the configuration of D with a 3/16 hole down the center may be the best solution. Direct me to the source, and I will investigate further.

D Profile with a large hole in the center.

Are the originals truly 1” half-round with 1 inch height?
25mmX25mm (25mm = 0.984252")

What material are they?  Neoprene? Something else?
I think they are  neoprene foam  

Amel inserted a round piece of solid neoprene foam about 10cm long and about Ø12-15mm inside the D gasket at the corners.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:51 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I posted this s few weeks ago with no definitive answers, trying again.  I want to replace my deck locker gaskets, and haven’t found a source for them other than Amel.  Bill R’s post earlier indicated they are hollow and reinforced at the corners with something in the hollow.  John was looking for a 1inch “half-round” gasket.  Richard built up new gaskets out of neoprene layers. John and Anne found leaking spots with a hose test with her in the locker, and said Amel drilled small holes in the seals at those points and injected silicone which stopped the leaks.

I have found 1-inch half round gaskets in three configurations: D with a large hollow, D with a 3/16 hole down the center, and Solid half round.

Kent
SM243
Kristy

Stephen Davis

Hi Bill,

How does this product look using the BT Tape?  

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 8:02 AM CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Kent,

I believe the difference between what is available today in D profile gaskets and what was available to Amel when the SM was made is that gasket manufacturers have changed the density of the neoprene foam used to make the gasket, thereby lowering their material costs, which enables them to lower resale costs, which is the number one thing demanded by buyers. Get it?

That said and assuming I am correct, 1-inch half round gaskets in the configuration of D with a 3/16 hole down the center may be the best solution. Direct me to the source, and I will investigate further.

Amel inserted a round piece of solid neoprene foam about 10cm long and about Ø12-15mm inside the D gasket at the corners.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:51 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I posted this s few weeks ago with no definitive answers, trying again.  I want to replace my deck locker gaskets, and haven’t found a source for them other than Amel.  Bill R’s post earlier indicated they are hollow and reinforced at the corners with something in the hollow.  John was looking for a 1inch “half-round” gasket.  Richard built up new gaskets out of neoprene layers. John and Anne found leaking spots with a hose test with her in the locker, and said Amel drilled small holes in the seals at those points and injected silicone which stopped the leaks.

Kent
SM243
Kristy

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Bill and Kent. I would suspect it is the D with the large hole but the is an opinion from my office chair. Ill be on the boat later and Ill look.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 04 August 2019 at 06:02 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Kent,

That said and assuming I am correct,  1-inch half round gaskets in the configuration of D with a 3/16 hole down the center may be the best solution. Direct me to the source, and I will investigate further.

Amel inserted a round piece of solid  neoprene foam  about 10cm long and about Ø12-15mm inside the D gasket at the corners.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 11:51 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Kent
SM243
Kristy

Steve, 

Note that Trim-LOC says it uses EPDM Rubber. 

EPDM is related to polyethylene...I assume that this will be similar to polyfoam. The specs state that "compression Rating Recommended 25% compression for the maximum performance." This is where I had a failure with the gasket I previously used. If you notice the weight of the engine room hatch, it will compress the D Gasket to more than 25%, especially if the center hole is large.

Maybe the one that Kent found with a 3/16" hole will be the best.

It will take about 90' to do everything.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 1:34 PM Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

Kent,

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Kent
SM243
Kristy

Stephen Davis

Thank you for the info. 

Steve

On Aug 3, 2019, at 10:42, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Steve, 

EPDM is related to polyethylene...I assume that this will be similar to polyfoam. The specs state that "compression Rating Recommended 25% compression for the maximum performance." This is where I had a failure with the gasket I previously used. If you notice the weight of the engine room hatch, it will compress the D Gasket to more than 25%, especially if the center hole is large.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hi Bill,

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

Kent,

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Kent
SM243
Kristy

karkauai

Here’s the site I was looking at.  These are truly half-round with base 1”, height 1/2”(not 1”).

I’ll contact them and Steve’s site to see if I can find 1” x 1” high D profile in neoprene.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
USA cell: 828-234-6819

Steve, 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hi Bill,

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Kent and Bill. I checked on Ocean Pearl today and all the hatch seals unquestionably have the large hole in the center

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 04 August 2019 at 20:11 "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

Here’s the site I was looking at.  These are truly half-round with base 1”, height 1/2”(not 1”).

I’ll contact them and Steve’s site to see if I can find 1” x 1” high D profile in neoprene.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy

On Aug 3, 2019, at 10:42, CW Bill Rouse < brouse@...> wrote:

Steve, 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 1:34 PM Stephen Davis < flyboyscd@...> wrote:
Hi Bill,

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

karkauai

Thanks Danny, are they half-round ie 1” x 1/2”, or taller ie 1” x 1”?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Aug 4, 2019, at 5:30 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Hi Kent and Bill. I checked on Ocean Pearl today and all the hatch seals unquestionably have the large hole in the center

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 04 August 2019 at 20:11 "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy

Steve, 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hi Bill,

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

Kent,

If I am not mistaken, they have exactly what I think will work best, which is CACD240:
image.png

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Let me know what they say

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 3:11 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here’s the site I was looking at.  These are truly half-round with base 1”, height 1/2”(not 1”).

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy

Steve, 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hi Bill,

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

I am resending this because the first email did not really look correct with HTML
image.png

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

http://www.acmerubber.com/round.htm

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 11:41 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Kent,

If I am not mistaken, they have exactly what I think will work best, which is CACD240:
image.png

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 3:11 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Here’s the site I was looking at.  These are truly half-round with base 1”, height 1/2”(not 1”).

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy

Steve, 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hi Bill,

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Kent

I'll measure today, but they are wider than higher but of course they've had a lot of years of compression.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 05 August 2019 at 01:37 "karkauai via Groups.Io" <karkauai@...> wrote:

Thanks Danny, are they half-round ie 1” x 1/2”, or taller ie 1” x 1”?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM 243

On Aug 4, 2019, at 5:30 AM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 04 August 2019 at 20:11 "karkauai via Groups.Io" < karkauai@...> wrote:

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy

Steve, 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hi Bill,

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

I would think A is closest to what I have on Ocean Pearl

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocen Pearl

On 05 August 2019 at 04:47 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

I am resending this because the first email did not really look correct with HTML
image.png

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 11:41 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse= gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Kent,

image.png

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 3:11 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy

Steve, 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hi Bill,

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

Alan Leslie

Ours look more like A

Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437

Danny I am sure A represents what Amel installed, but since apparently all manufacturers have cheapened the foam by lowering the density. This is the reason that I believe I would replace it with B profile. 

That said, I will wait for a final judgement until after Kent has talked to the manufacturer.

Kent, you should ask: Is B better than A in situations where the compression will be greater than 25%. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019, 2:23 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocen Pearl

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 11:41 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse= gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Kent,

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 3:11 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy

Steve, 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hi Bill,

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

The important thing is that the material should not be so firm and high that it stresses the hinges and will latch down evenly. Too thick or firm would make stress and uneven compression that could lead to leaks.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 

Ocean Pearl

On 05 August 2019 at 08:10 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Danny I am sure A represents what Amel installed, but since apparently all manufacturers have cheapened the foam by lowering the density. This is the reason that I believe I would replace it with B profile. 

That said, I will wait for a final judgement until after Kent has talked to the manufacturer.

Kent, you should ask: Is B better than A in situations where the compression will be greater than 25%. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019, 2:23 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS < simms@...> wrote:

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocen Pearl

On 05 August 2019 at 04:47 CW Bill Rouse < brouse@...> wrote:

image.png

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Kent,

image.png

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy

Steve, 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hi Bill,

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

karkauai

I’ll call in the morning.  Just to be sure, the height of the original gasket is 1” or 25mm, correct?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy

On Aug 4, 2019, at 4:30 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

The important thing is that the material should not be so firm and high that it stresses the hinges and will latch down evenly. Too thick or firm would make stress and uneven compression that could lead to leaks.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 

Ocean Pearl

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocen Pearl

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Kent,

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy

Steve, 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hi Bill,

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

Kent,

Yes. 1" or 25mm

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019, 8:22 PM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I’ll call in the morning.  Just to be sure, the height of the original gasket is 1” or 25mm, correct?

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy

On Aug 4, 2019, at 4:30 PM, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

Regards

Danny

SM 299 

Ocean Pearl

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocen Pearl

image.png

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Kent,

image.png

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy

Steve, 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hi Bill,

Regards,
Steve
Aloha SM72

eric freedman

Hi Kent,

What gasket did you find for this job?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2019 4:10 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow locker seals

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocen Pearl

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St

+1(832) 380-4970

Kent,

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St

+1(832) 380-4970

Kent Robertson

S/V Kristy

Steve, 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St

+1(832) 380-4970

Hi Bill,

Regards,

Steve

Aloha SM72

karkauai

I ordered from Amel, I haven’t received it yet, but Maud had several kinds.  I described what was originally installed and she said she’d send what appears to be the same.  It’s a D with all the walls the same, about 5mm thick all the way.  She didn’t know anything about the cylindrical piece that was described as placed into the D seals at the corners, and said they don’t have anything like that.

When I get it, I’ll take some pics and try to describe the material and compressibility.

Kent Robertson
S/V Kristy
SM243

On Sep 12, 2019, at 8:38 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

What gasket did you find for this job?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2019 4:10 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow locker seals

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocen Pearl

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St

+1(832) 380-4970

Kent,

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Best,

CW Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St

+1(832) 380-4970

Kent Robertson

S/V Kristy

Steve, 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St

+1(832) 380-4970

Hi Bill,

Regards,

Steve

Aloha SM72