Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Bow locker seals

eric freedman

Hi Kent,

Thanks

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of karkauai via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2019 10:33 PM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] [Amel Yacht Owners] Bow locker seals

I ordered from Amel, I haven’t received it yet, but Maud had several kinds.  I described what was originally installed and she said she’d send what appears to be the same.  It’s a D with all the walls the same, about 5mm thick all the way.  She didn’t know anything about the cylindrical piece that was described as placed into the D seals at the corners, and said they don’t have anything like that.

When I get it, I’ll take some pics and try to describe the material and compressibility.

Kent Robertson

S/V Kristy

SM243

On Sep 12, 2019, at 8:38 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

What gasket did you find for this job?

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: Sunday, August 04, 2019 4:10 PM

Danny I am sure A represents what Amel installed, but since apparently all manufacturers have cheapened the foam by lowering the density. This is the reason that I believe I would replace it with B profile. 

That said, I will wait for a final judgement until after Kent has talked to the manufacturer.

Kent, you should ask: Is B better than A in situations where the compression will be greater than 25%. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019, 2:23 PM Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

I would think A is closest to what I have on Ocean Pearl

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocen Pearl

On 05 August 2019 at 04:47 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

I am resending this because the first email did not really look correct with HTML

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

http://www.acmerubber.com/round.htm

Best,

CW Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St

+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 11:41 AM CW Bill Rouse via Groups.Io <brouse= gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Kent,

If I am not mistaken, they have exactly what I think will work best, which is CACD240:

A

B

C

D

E

R

Figure
Letter
(See Above)

CATALOG
NUMBER

Base Width

Wall

Open Height

Base T

Total Height

Radius

B

CACD240

1"

1/8"

9/16"

5/16"

1"

-

Let me know what they say

Best,

CW Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St

+1(832) 380-4970

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 3:11 AM karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Here’s the site I was looking at.  These are truly half-round with base 1”, height 1/2”(not 1”).

I’ll contact them and Steve’s site to see if I can find 1” x 1” high D profile in neoprene.

Kent Robertson

S/V Kristy

USA cell: 828-234-6819

On Aug 3, 2019, at 10:42, CW Bill Rouse < brouse@...> wrote:

Steve, 

Note that Trim-LOC says it uses EPDM Rubber. 

EPDM is related to polyethylene...I assume that this will be similar to polyfoam. The specs state that "compression Rating Recommended 25% compression for the maximum performance." This is where I had a failure with the gasket I previously used. If you notice the weight of the engine room hatch, it will compress the D Gasket to more than 25%, especially if the center hole is large.

Maybe the one that Kent found with a 3/16" hole will be the best.

It will take about 90' to do everything.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St

+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Aug 3, 2019 at 1:34 PM Stephen Davis < flyboyscd@...> wrote:

Hi Bill,

How does this product look using the BT Tape?  

Regards,

Steve

Aloha SM72

karkauai

I got the seals from Maud at Amel France.  They are half-round with a stiff bottom and what I think is neoprene rounded top.  The top is very soft and appears to be exactly the same as the originals.  The attached pics show the old (on the left) and new seals, the adhesive strips, and how Amel cut a small “V” at the site where the hinge bolt/washer/nut come close to the seal.  It is difficult to make the corners exact, I chose to add silicone caulk inside the corners and at the sites where the wedge was cut out to make room for the bolt.

Hardest part is reinstalling as it requires working on both sides of the hatch to tighten the hinge bolts.  Made easier by replacing the slot head bolts with Phillips heads.  Would be much easier with two people.

I will report again in a month or two to let you know how well it worked.

Stephen Davis

Hi Kent,

What is Amel charging per meter for the material?

Thanks,

Steve
Aloha SM 72
Hawaii

On Oct 9, 2019, at 09:39, karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...> wrote:

I got the seals from Maud at Amel France.  They are half-round with a stiff bottom and what I think is neoprene rounded top.  The top is very soft and appears to be exactly the same as the originals.  The attached pics show the old (on the left) and new seals, the adhesive strips, and how Amel cut a small “V” at the site where the hinge bolt/washer/nut come close to the seal.  It is difficult to make the corners exact, I chose to add silicone caulk inside the corners and at the sites where the wedge was cut out to make room for the bolt.

Hardest part is reinstalling as it requires working on both sides of the hatch to tighten the hinge bolts.  Made easier by replacing the slot head bolts with Phillips heads.  Would be much easier with two people.

<351FA7CE-99C3-4082-956D-3396F2DE8A66.jpeg><A646EDF3-48E5-4C56-980C-CC4BA3A297FB.jpeg><70851A93-5550-45FD-A38A-6AC4660B65A1.jpeg>

karkauai

Hi Steve,
I paid 8.70€/M plus shipping. I’m not sure she has enough to do another boat.  She couldn’t tell me anything about it when I was placing my order.  Said she had Some of several different profiles that had been used over the years, and sent me the one she did based on my description and pic of my original.  It sounded like that may be the last of what she has.  It is a stock design that should be available considerable cheaper where ever you are (Hawaii?)

Malama mai ka’i nui loa lawe, ko’u ho’aloha.

A hui hou.
Kent
Kristy
SM 243

On Oct 9, 2019, at 3:45 PM, Stephen Davis <flyboyscd@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

Thanks,

Steve
Aloha SM 72
Hawaii

<351FA7CE-99C3-4082-956D-3396F2DE8A66.jpeg><A646EDF3-48E5-4C56-980C-CC4BA3A297FB.jpeg><70851A93-5550-45FD-A38A-6AC4660B65A1.jpeg>

eric freedman

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the photos.

What are the dimensions of the seals?

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of karkauai via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 4:43 PM

Hi Steve,

I paid 8.70€/M plus shipping. I’m not sure she has enough to do another boat.  She couldn’t tell me anything about it when I was placing my order.  Said she had Some of several different profiles that had been used over the years, and sent me the one she did based on my description and pic of my original.  It sounded like that may be the last of what she has.  It is a stock design that should be available considerable cheaper where ever you are (Hawaii?)

A hui hou.

Kent

Kristy

SM 243

Hi Kent,

Thanks,

Steve

Aloha SM 72

Hawaii

Stephen Davis

Thanks for the info Kent. Yep...still in Hawaii until June next year, and will sail away then.

Steve

On Oct 9, 2019, at 10:43, karkauai via Groups.Io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Hi Steve,

A hui hou.
Kent
Kristy
SM 243

Hi Kent,

Thanks,

Steve
Aloha SM 72
Hawaii

karkauai

Hi Eric.  They are 25mm across the base and12mm high.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

On Oct 9, 2019, at 5:10 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the photos.

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Steve,

A hui hou.

Kent

Kristy

SM 243

Hi Kent,

Thanks,

Steve

Aloha SM 72

Hawaii

eric freedman

Thanks Kent

Where are you now and where are you headed?

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2019 11:39 PM

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the photos.

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Steve,

A hui hou.

Kent

Kristy

SM 243

Hi Kent,

Thanks,

Steve

Aloha SM 72

Hawaii

eric freedman

Hi Kent,

Would you mind measuring the wall thickness of this gaskefw

Eric

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the photos.

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Steve,

A hui hou.

Kent

Kristy

SM 243

Hi Kent,

Thanks,

Steve

Aloha SM 72

Hawaii

karkauai

It’s just under 1/8” about 5mm

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

On Oct 10, 2019, at 9:04 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

Eric

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the photos.

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Steve,

A hui hou.

Kent

Kristy

SM 243

Hi Kent,

Thanks,

Steve

Aloha SM 72

Hawaii

eric freedman

Thanks again

Eric

Sent: Saturday, October 12, 2019 9:07 AM

It’s just under 1/8” about 5mm

Kent

S/V Kristy

SM243

On Oct 10, 2019, at 9:04 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

Eric

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the photos.

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Steve,

A hui hou.

Kent

Kristy

SM 243

Hi Kent,

Thanks,

Steve

Aloha SM 72

Hawaii

eric freedman

Hi Kent,

How many meters of the gasket material did you order and what hatches will that quantity of

Material repair?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the photos.

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Steve,

A hui hou.

Kent

Kristy

SM 243

Hi Kent,

Thanks,

Steve

Aloha SM 72

Hawaii

karkauai

I ordered 20 meters.  It will do bow lockers, port deck locker, aft lazarette, and engine room hatches, with some left over....I hope ;-)>
I’ve done all but the engine room and still have quite a bit left, I’m all but certain it will be enough.

Kent
Kristy
SM 243

On Oct 14, 2019, at 9:25 PM, eric freedman <kimberlite@...> wrote:

Hi Kent,

How many meters of the gasket material did you order and what hatches will that quantity of

Material repair?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the photos.

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Steve,

A hui hou.

Kent

Kristy

SM 243

Hi Kent,

Thanks,

Steve

Aloha SM 72

Hawaii

eric freedman

Thanks

Kent !!

Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 10:56 PM

I ordered 20 meters.  It will do bow lockers, port deck locker, aft lazarette, and engine room hatches, with some left over....I hope ;-)>

I’ve done all but the engine room and still have quite a bit left, I’m all but certain it will be enough.

Kent

Kristy

SM 243

Hi Kent,

Material repair?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the photos.

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Steve,

A hui hou.

Kent

Kristy

SM 243

Hi Kent,

Thanks,

Steve

Aloha SM 72

Hawaii

eric freedman

Thanks Kent,

The seals and some other stuff should be here tomorrow.

I will install them in the heat of the Caribbean.

Thank you so much !

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Monday, October 14, 2019 10:56 PM

Kent

Kristy

SM 243

Hi Kent,

Material repair?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kent

SM 243

Kristy

Hi Kent,

Thanks for the photos.

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Steve,

A hui hou.

Kent

Kristy

SM 243

Hi Kent,

Thanks,

Steve

Aloha SM 72

Hawaii

Bob Ross

Hi Eric, and others,

Eric did you get your seals?
If so did you order from AAA-Acme rubber company? If so what model# did you decide on? Does it have tape on it for attaching? Did you pick neoprene? Price?
I have sent an email to AAA-Acme as well, waiting on their response.

Our thread left me a little confused - but that is easy.
The measurements on our boat are 1" wide by 1/2" high.  (25mmx12mm) and hollow.
If Amel has/is running out of inventory then I guess we are looking at AAA_Acme or similar?

So I am thinking AAA-ACME CACD110 is the correct size as a 1/8" think hollow version and 1"x1/2". Not the 1" x 1" version.

Too Bill's point if today's neoprene is not as "tough" as in 2002 then should we consider 1"x1/2" solid half-round CACD120
This is a project I would like to have done before shoving off this season.
Any help, experience and advice is always appreciated.

Fair winds and good holding,
Bob
Nomad SM2K #362 Trinidad

eric freedman

Hi,

I just bought my seals from Maud.

It is on my boat and I will wait till I get to the Caribbean to install it.

What I received seems to be a low durometer. I will report back when I have a minute.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Bob Ross via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2019 3:16 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io

Hi Eric, and others,

Eric did you get your seals?
If so did you order from AAA-Acme rubber company? If so what model# did you decide on? Does it have tape on it for attaching? Did you pick neoprene? Price?
I have sent an email to AAA-Acme as well, waiting on their response.

Our thread left me a little confused - but that is easy.
The measurements on our boat are 1" wide by 1/2" high.  (25mmx12mm) and hollow.
If Amel has/is running out of inventory then I guess we are looking at AAA_Acme or similar?

So I am thinking AAA-ACME CACD110 is the correct size as a 1/8" think hollow version and 1"x1/2". Not the 1" x 1" version.

Too Bill's point if today's neoprene is not as "tough" as in 2002 then should we consider 1"x1/2" solid half-round CACD120
This is a project I would like to have done before shoving off this season.
Any help, experience and advice is always appreciated.

Fair winds and good holding,
Bob
Nomad SM2K #362 Trinidad

Arlo

Has anyone found a proper gasket for the Amel deck and cockpit lockers? I see lots of initial investigation so I am hoping that someone can post what they finally settled on. I see 1 post about ordering from Amel. I have a 1985 Mango so its unlikely that Amel will have these in stock. So I am looking for an after market solution. 

I know of 1 other Mango owner also looking for a good replacement gasket source and model number.

Thanks
Arlo
1985 Amel Mango # 46

Aras Grinius

McMaster Carr carries gasket material that matches and works/  I've used it opn my 1998 Sharki

Aras
Sharki #163 1988

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 10:16 AM Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:
Has anyone found a proper gasket for the Amel deck and cockpit lockers? I see lots of initial investigation so I am hoping that someone can post what they finally settled on. I see 1 post about ordering from Amel. I have a 1985 Mango so its unlikely that Amel will have these in stock. So I am looking for an after market solution. 

I know of 1 other Mango owner also looking for a good replacement gasket source and model number.

Thanks
Arlo
1985 Amel Mango # 46

--
Aras Grinius

Mark Pitt

Hi Arlo,

I used "D-section 342 with adhesive, 100 feet ($1.129 per foot), part 342HATS-100, from Clean Seal, Inc.
P.O. Box 2919 – 20900 West Ireland Road
South Bend, IN 46680-2919 USA
FAX: (574) 299-8044     Phone: (574) 299-1888
(800) 366-3682
HTTP://www.cleanseal.com    e-mail:cleanseal@...

It is self-adhesive and works well. There are other seals to choose from.

Mark Pitt

Sabbatical III, SM419, Rhode Island, USA

On 9/17/2020 10:16 AM, Arlo wrote:

Thanks
Arlo
1985 Amel Mango # 46