Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Moisture and Osmosis in Super Maramu

Anne-Sophie Schmitt <nearlynothing@...>

I cannot tell you how the Super-Maramu will do with
osmosis, having one which is only 2 years old, but I
had an Amel Maramu for 21 years without any hint of
osmosis. So, unless Amel have changed their process, I
would say this is not a concern. Regarding your other
questions I cannot say. I had no problems with
electrolysis on the Maramu, and I don't expect any on
the SM. The Maramu was similarly protected as the SM.
If I can be otherwise helpful please tell me. Regards,
Claude Roessiger
--- davidcrisp <david@...> wrote:
Hi all,

Am in the process of buying my first Amel - a 1995
Super Maramu. Have
just had the survey results back and it prompts some
questions.

(1) The surveyor found moisture readings of 20% in
the below water
line hull vs 5% above water line (Sovereign relative
scale not
actually 20% by content). This is high by by normal
standards but
something he has found in all 7 Amels he has
surveyed.
Anyone know why the moisture is so high? Is it an
issue? Are Amels
prone to osmosis and or blistering?

The epoxy coating on the hull which contains copper
- am I correct in
thinking this is more for antifouling than water
proofing since the
moisture readings are so high?

(2) There are only zincs on the rudder and
propellor. It seems odd
that there are no zincs on the cast iron keel. Is
it common to add
more zincs to the keel in these days of 'hot
marinas".

(3) The keel/hull join is faired in and painted over
with epoxy.
With movement of the keel and electrolysis this
paint has flaked off
and the keel is slightly corroded. What is the norm
for refinishing
keels? Maybe flexible sealer at the hull join
instead of filler and
then zinc primer and antifouling on cast iron keel?

Are there any other things to watch out for on
Amels? Are there any
standard improvemtns owners make (e.g. I note there
are no
sacrificial UV strips on the sails).

Regards
David