Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] questions from new Amel owner

Anne-Sophie Schmitt <nearlynothing@...>

--- davidcrisp <david@...> wrote:
Hi All,

Bought a 1995 Super Maramu three months ago. AM
hoping some of you
experienced owners cananswer some questions I have.

(1) Fuel Consumption - engine (TMD22)
What is the recommended motoring speed and engine
RPM for the Super
Maramu? What is the fuel consumption at this
cruising speed? I AM REPLYING ONLY TO THAT QUESTION
FOR WHICH I FEEL I CAN GIVE RELIABLE INFORMATION: This
is tricky as there has been a great deal of incomplete
information about, not to say erroneous. But I now
have concurring opinions from Amel (Mr. Selo), from
Joel Potter, and from several technically minded
owners. This engine will run most smoothly and
agreeably somewhere between 2200-2400 RPM, depending
on your particular engine. However it is important to
run it up at "max" for 10-15 minutes every 10 hours or
so, to prevent glazing of the cylinder wall, assuming
the former owner was also careful. Above approximately
2500 RPM the fuel consumption doubles or even trebles,
so it is an RPM range used only when maximum power is
required, and then not long, although it does in no
way damage the engine. It is not good on the other
hand to idle the engine for long periods due to carbon
build up. In fact when you warm up the engine, you
should always take care to set the idle above 1200
RPM. And, when you shut down the engine, you should
idle it again at 1200 RPM for 5 minutes before
stopping it. Finally, it is good to vary engine speed,
so you do not always run the engine at the same RPM.
Mr. Selo at Amel can give you chapter-and-verse on
this, but I think the above is faithful to the
recommendations. As to fuel consumption, I think
something around 6-7 liters/hour at 2200-2300 RPM is
about it. Incidentally, in reasonable conditions this
RPM range will give you 8 knots. There was a
suggestion once not to run between 1500-2000 RPM for
extended running, but that seems now to be considered
incorrect. You can run without harm to the engine or
the turbo between 1200-3000 RPM.
An owner did contribute a very useful suggestion
recently, to clean the turbo and waste gate, to
eliminate carbon build up. This apparently can limit
RPM, and many may suffer some limitation on this
account without being aware. In the same vein I can
tell you that the smallest (literally a single
barnacle) irregularity on the folding propeller can
cause vibration and limit your potential RPM. If you
can get 3000 RPM in reverse or neutral, but not in
forward, this can be the problem. Any fault in the
propeller can cause this. You must be very careful
about the lubricant used for the folding prop as most
lubricants will not stay in the prop more than a few
turns; it is a super-sticky lubricant for folding
props which must be used.

(2) Fuel consumption - generator
What is the normal fuel consumption of the
generator? I have an
Onan 6.5KVA

(3) Battery Charger
The boat house batteries are not fully recharging
after use.
I have reset the battery management system.
After one cycle of use (to 65% discharge) the
battery management
system is indicating recharge to about 92-95%
capacity after 4 hours
of charging (this is a long time it seems to me).
After one week on
220V shore power with battery charger always on the
system is
showing 98% charge.
The battery bank has 400AHrs at 24V total capacity.
I have checked the battery bank voltage with
charger off, all load
removed and after one hour stabilization the voltage
is 26.50V.
With battery charger on voltage is 28.05V

I am concerned that as I cycle the batteries more I
will
progressively loose capacity as they sulphate
through incomplete
recharging. A new set of batteries were installed
one year ago.
Can antone advise me what to do or who to speak to?
What further checks should I make?

(4) Depth SOunder.
What is the depth offset for the depth sounder to
display actual
water depth? (ie distance from sensor to water
level)

(5) I notice there is an orange light or plastic
dome on the top of
the main mast. Can you tell me what this is for?
It has a grey
wire running from it down the mast.

(6) When motoring under power at night regulations
state you should
show red and green navigation lights in the bow, a
white stern light
and a second white light showing forwards over an
arc of 225 degrees
("steaming light") about half way up the mast. On
my Amel there is
no "steaming light" half way up the mast. In my
experience of the
Super Maramu so far Amel appear to think of
everything! Can anyone
explain why Amel has not fitted one? I believe I
need to fit a
steaming light but perhaps I have misunderstood the
regulations.

(7) The B&G Hydra system has no flux gate compass.
Can I hook the
B&G system up to the Autohelm system via NMEA in
order to share
compass data from the Autohelm? Likewise can you
link the GPS and
radar? How do you do such things?

FYI am currently in Mahon, Menorca. We hope to leave
for Gibraltar
in a few days. From there onto the Canaries and
Caribbean. Not
doing the ARC but would love to be in touch with any
other Amel
owners crossing this winter.

Regards
David Crisp
'Gallant of Fowey'

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

Erick M. <maramu@...>

Hi David
I'm the happy owner of a 1995 SM as you.
GENSET
The hourly consumption that you can expect is in the range of three liters per hour at full load(A lot of information are available in the Onan operating book).
Why I say at full load is because running the genset only for the purpose of supplying AC to the battery charger is not very good for the engine. The generator load is very little and this could lead to glazed the cylinder. As such it is recommended to run either the aircond or the heaters depending on the season as well as the water maker which will maintain a substantial load on the battery charger (turn on the water maker only after your batteries management system indicate a charge in the range of 20 amp, as turning it on too early would slow down the charging process by the amount of intensity sucked up by the water maker which if I'm not wrong is in the range of 23 to 25 amp.
Navigation Lights
Amel think about.......... almost everything. You got the navigation light regulation right, but it seems that Amel has a different reading and to my knowledge the lights which are fitted on the SM are not compliant with the regulation. However I must stress that I have never been fined for that.........I believe that while being seen is very important, to keep a thorough watch while sailing or motoring is more important
Batteries charging
The batteries charging is one of the favorite topic of discussion among Amel owners.A full encyclopedia may not be big enough to cover the topic. However in order for you to get a good understanding of the batteries charging process I would recommend you to take a look at Victon web site which covers very comprehensively the topic.
Furthermore I'm sure that many owners are better experienced and qualified than me to cover the topic http://www.onboardpower.com/pdfs/ElectricityonBoard.PDF

Have a good and safe crossing
Best regards
Erick MEJEAN