From: kimberlite1212 <no_reply@...>
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Assymetric Spinaker
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 00:15:00 -0000

Erick,
i ordered kimberlite with a balooner halyard from amel.
they also provided a few rings on the anchor roller to tie off the
balooner. where do you tie off the balooner halyard when not in use?
thanks
eric

--- In amelyachtowners@..., "Erick MEJEAN" <maramu@h...>
wrote:
My SM was not fitted with the optional pulley as the more recent SM
are.In
those days Amel was a bit reluctant to support the use of an
assymetric. One
way was to use the stock ballooner halyard but this is not
recommended as
the halyard will wear very fast by rubbing on the stay.
I bought a special steel sheet billet from Amel with an additional
block
which is bolted on the mast head. An additional halyard is running
through
this block, dedicated to the asymmetric. This fitting keeps the
halyard off
the stay and prevents any wear out of the halyard by rubbing on the
stay. It
further makes gibbing very easy as the halyard is kept ahead of the
stay
In addition I'm using an ATN tacker ( http://www.atninc.com )this
is a very
convenient device which helps you to keep the assymetric above 140o
like a
ballooner and below 80 like a kind of genaker.
My recommendation is dont hesitate to get an assymetric as it will
change
drastically your performances specially in light breezes.
For your information I use it up to 25 knots of real wind and it
makes you
feel like skipping a 60" open. Taking it down single handed with
the sleeve
is of no challenge but requires a bit of preparation and planning
Erick