From: stargazer41amel [mailto:no_reply@...]
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 1:16 AM
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: headliner problems

Terry,

In our 41 Sharki, we had 3/8" tongue/groove ash milled for us. We
directly covered the vinyl and screwed into the ceiling with no
problems. We did main cabin first 2 years ago and no problems. We
did V-berth this past December. We did ourselves with a little
instruction from a woodworking friend. It looks great! Now on to
the back berth! Then we will tackle the "halls".

Delores

DHession@...

Delores ,
Thanks a lot for the tip . I bet it looks great .
Terry

Ian Shepherd <g4ljf@...>

I know that this will no be much comfort to those owners that have experienced head liner problems, but I think it maybe worth mentioning that Jacques Carteau, Amyl's architect (now semi retired by the way), did mention to me recently when I brought up this recurring problem, that they have changed the glue, and I think the backing material. I had expressed concern about heat build up when leaving the water tight doors closed in the tropics. Jacques assured me that the problem had now been eradicated, which may be of interest if you are thinking of getting the head liners replaced at La Rochelle.

I also noticed at the Paris Boat Show that they no longer use the rubbery backing material on the underside of the carpets. My carpets began to crumble after a while, and so this will be a welcome improvement too. The great thing about Amel is that they never stop looking for improvements.

Best Wishes

Ian Shepherd SM #299 "Crusader"