From: John and Anne on Bali Hai [mailto:hollamby@compuserve.com]
Sent: 27 March 2003 14:20
To: amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Fitting an additional Echosounder
(Interphase Twinscope)

--- In amelyachtowners@yahoogroups.com, "amershann" <shannmv@b...>
wrote:
Hi there, Does anyone have experience with fitting a "thru'hull"
echosounder (Interphase twinscope) to an Amel Maramu 1984. This is
forward and sidewards looking echosounder with a through hull
transducer on a bronze screwthread, fairly large transducer.

I am looking to fit one, but am concerned with hull cutting
procedure, transducer placement (so not as to interfere with other
sensors) and subsequent hull epoxy bounding + antifouling over
join.
Help please.

Many thanks, Amer (Synnefoula, Crete, Greece).
Amel retrofitted an Echopilot FLS to Bal Hai. They lifted the
floorboard in the forward cabin and put resin/filling on the V of
the hull a short distance in front of the web near the the front of
that section of bilge,leaving a space about 5cms between the filling
and the opening in the web so water can run back. The filling is
about 3.5cms high at the aft face and the top was level. They cut a
6mm hole with a hole saw and then made the exterior of the hull good
with filling to match the size of the through hull fitting and
antifouled it and touched up the white paint in the bilge.
I only fitted the FLS as I had removed it fron my previous yacht.
I am not impressed with the usefulness of FLS and would certainly
not have bought one again if I had not got one.
Amel ran the wire aft to the port side of the space above the galley
sink. I drilled holes big enough to take the plugs/wires at the back
of the FLS on the port side of the cockpit and through the
fibreglass below in the port cockpit locker and then fished the
wiring through. After connecting the instrument I sealed the two
holes around the wires with silicone and pushed the instrument on to
the sealant securing the instrument with a picture frame.
The FLS is useful at very slow speeds approaching obstructions such
as reefs in the S.Pacific. Shelving bottoms do no reflect backwards
and there is not enough time to react if there is an obstruction at
normal speeds or if there is any current.

Good luck with it, John Hollamby, Bali Hai SM319