From: "Beaute Olivier atlanticyachtsurvey@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: 10/22/18 20:14 (GMT+01:00)
To: amelyachtowners@...
Subject: Re: [Amel Yacht Owners] Re: Companionway ( washboard ) rubber seal replacement?

Hello proud owners of AMEL dry boats,

from Sharki to AMEL 54, the companionway hatch slides into a wooden "box" that collects the potential water that could flow between the rubber "licker" seal and the wooden hatch. This box is sealed and drains into the engine room bilge, unless the draining hole is stuffed with dust and small particles.
You can get access to the bottom of this box if you remove the wooden board at the bottom of the hatch (secured with a few screws). Then you can lift the hatch up to hitting the dodger, and have a look inside (and clean it).

So..., very little chance for this water to flood the vessel.
What if your cockpit is flooded by a wave?

When the SM was in production, we made once a test of draining the cockpit (thanks to the cockpit drains). We clogged all possible holes in the cockpit, plugged both cockpit drains and filled it up with water u p to the backseats tops. Guess how much time it took to drain the cockpit?
Answer in two days.

All that said, it is good to keep the licker seal (originally a RENAULT cars part for opening windows) in good condition. I'm not sure Maud can still supply those...

Olivier

On Monday, October 22, 2018, 4:07:19 PM GMT+2, sangaris@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi James,

Wow, that's some scary arithmetic, which I'm sure is correct. If you've got a 1 foot head of water on your companionway hatch for an hour (let's see, that's like over the cockpit seats), uh, I think you've got bigger worries than some water below. And, the least of your worries might be that the weatherstripping could in no way handle that load and will have bent open,
Then again, the weatherstripping is a fine idea that "the Captain" had, notwithstanding shorter-lived companionway plywood and the need to have a dark interior with it closed.
Cheers, Craig SN68

---In amelyachtowners@..., <lokiyawl2@...> wrote :

Bill Kinney,

&n bsp;  You make some very good points.  A 22mm hole at a 1' head could flow around 615 GPH if my calculations are correct so there could be conditions where this could allow a lot of water into the boat.  I certainly hope to never encounter the conditions that Eric has.   One of the primary functions of a boat imo is to keep water on the outside and this seems to me to be a good way to reduce intrusion.  I second your concerns about silicones which can be impossible to finish over if they soak into bare wood.  Customers have brought boats to us to refinish the interior varnishwork and some where furniture polish was used were impossible to recoat,  nothing but fish eyes no matter how much cleaning we did. On the other hand some boats that also had furniture polish used on them were fine to refinish and I never determined which products had silicone or in them and which were safe so I just revarnish when needed.

    The varnish on the slider I imagine gives you a nice sealed and fairly hard surface for the wiper to rub on.  Does the wiper ever chatter as you raise and lower the slider?  I need to reface or replace my door and will go with varnish as well.

Have a safe trip back South.

James Alton
SV Sueno,  Maramu #220
La Maddelena Island,  Italy

From: "greatketch@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>
Date: 10/23/18 05:05 (GMT+01:00)
To: amelyachtowners@...

James,

The original seal was what the autobody people call a "dew wipe" for a car window, the part that is supposed to squeegee off film of dew when you roll the window down. As Mike described, they had a "felt" or "flocking" on them.  I suspect that this has long since warn off even the newest of the factory original installations on SMs.  With the "flocking" intact, on the hard, smooth varnish we don't see "chattering" of the rubber on the moving slide.

Right now, our seal is getting old again, and the flocking has worn off--in spots.  Those bare rubber spots are starting to "grab" a bit.  Time for a new seal...

Wax helps a lot on the smooth operation of the whole system.  Helps the varnish last longer, and look better too.

P.S. It has been pointed out to me that I screwed up... forgetting to move from radius to diameter.  The equivalent round hole to a 2mm x 750 mm gap is 22mm in radius, so 44mm in diameter.  Four times the area, and water flow for your calculations. I really doubt there is a condition where it would ever sink anybody's boat, but the "box" the slide goes down into on my boat is lined with a pile fabric. I just don't want any drips in there so things can grow.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

[...]

Beaute Olivier

Hello again,

I read Craig's post and my last message was probably not clear enough.
Once full of water (as per the test we made at AMEL) a Super Maramu's cockpit  (when we unplugged the drain holes) drains in 75 seconds.
So, if the cockpit is flooded by a big wave, the water will not stay long enough to bring too much water in the hatch box. But some water may enter the engine room and the lockers (at least through the locking pin holes).

Feel safe and dry, this cockpit is not so much exposed as a stern cockpit.

Olivier

[...]

---In ame lyachtowners@..., wrote :

Bill Kinney,

[...]

Willem Kroes

Hi Kent,

I looked at the website of JC Whitney's and the items number nor the items name was found.

Are you sure about this company selling the gasket that fits the companion way?

Regards,

Willem Kroes

SM #351 KAVANGA

Op 20 okt. 2018 22:37 schreef "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" :

Here’s what I found a few years ago, it works great.

Here's the gasket material I found that works fine.  It's enough to do two replacements.

My first replacement in 2010 has dried out and needs replacement again after 5 years.

Purchased at JCWhitney.com

+1 800-529-4486

Belt Weatherstripping

Item No. 819751

Cost including shipping in 2010 was $28 US.

No bending required, just holes drilled and cut to length.

Since I put spar urethane on the companionway door, I’ve had no black rubber coming off on the door as it slides up and down.

Kent

SM243

Kristy

On Oct 20, 2018, at 10:31 AM, bazgrayson@... [amelyachtowners] <amelyachtowners@...> wrote:

Hi Mike, I'm about to purchase this seal from Rockauto but have a few questions first.

Do you have any material left?
It looks like the metal piece is raised above the level of the fixed piece of wood that is on the outside of the door. Did you ever bend that down flush or have you left it raised, i tend to put my foot on the door sometimes.
I wish i had looked at it while at the rendezvous
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai SM 406
Ft Lauderdale

Mike Ondra

RockAuto has many shapes of “belt weatherstrip” or “beltline” that can be used to seal the companionway sliding hatch.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/body,weatherstrip,belt+weatherstrip+/+window+scraper+seal,12406

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD

Op 20 okt. 2018 22:37 schreef "Kent Robertson karkauai@... [amelyachtowners]" <amelyachtowners@...>:

[...]

karkauai

That is where I bought the seal.  It was designed for the outside seal on an automobile side window.  I’m guessing that they have it but under a different number now.

Kent
S/V Kristy
SM243

[...]

Hi Alan,

What was the part number of the seal you bought from Rockauto?

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM#351 KAVANGA

Mike Ondra

Willem,

Below is a copy of my order for part number 13714X2 that seems to work fine. (I am not sure if pasted graphics come through on the Bulletin Board.) Rock Auto has several profiles for what they call Belt Weatherstrip that can work if you want to explore a bit.

Mike

ALETES SM#240 St. Augustine, FL

What was the part number of the seal you bought from Rockauto?

Best regards,

Willem Kroes

SM#351 KAVANGA

Willem Kroes