Topics

[Amel Yacht Owners] Super maramu questions

Anne-Sophie Schmitt <nearlynothing@...>

A few thoughts:(see below, to each question)
--- asm283 <no_reply@...> wrote:
Hello

I finally spend a few weeks cruising my SM2000 # 283
in a variety of
conditions. I would like to ask some questions.

1- Sails: The standard genoa that comes with the
boat did not roller
reef well. Has anyone replaced this sail and what
did you have made.
Have you added to the sail inventory and if you did
what did you add. It doesn't roller reef well. Have
it re-cut and a foam pad added at the luff and it
will. I had North do it and it's fine now. Also added
a sun cover so I don't have to use that intolerable
and very fragile "sock".

2-Dodger windows: When taking significant spray and
going into the
sun you are almost blind. Has anyone used anything
on these windows
to improve visibility such as rainX? Also, the
helmsman window
leaked is this normal and is there a way to seal it
better. Not really. If you're interested I am
significantly modifying the dodger, very
professionally and aesthetically, at Lyman-Morse
Boatbuilding this winter. 1. Raising it 50 mm so you
have a line of sight out from the helm; 2. replacing
the windows both sides with glass, dividing each in
two, outboard windows open, inboard window in front of
helm with wiper.

3-Anchors: So far the standard anchor has worked
well I also have a
40lb danford. What other anchors are being carried
out there. Same: anchor OK.

4- Davits: I am torn on this one. I dont like the
look of them but I
think the convenience may sway me to add them. Any
suggestions or
recomendations. If you carry a RIB it's easier of
course. Alternative is to tow the RIB where
practicable, or strap on aft deck for passages. Or
Zodiac Futura "Fast Roller" which has an air floor and
deflates/rolls completely. Good tender.

5-Communications: SSB? Satellite phone? E-Mail? I
would like to hear
what works and what does not. Inmarsat Mini-M has
worked very well. But there are so many choices now
and many more coming. I think Globalstar and Iridium
have better data capability. The Mini-M has been
utterly reliable with good quality communications.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Vito Ciaravino
Regards, Claude Roessiger

Otherwise she was a confortable and fast yacht on my
recent trip.

http://autos.yahoo.com