AML 54 fridge cooling

Nick Newington

I put Amelia ashore in November which involved flushing all the systems with fresh water including the fridge raw water circuit.
I launched on 27th April. Everything running nicely until yesterday 30th April the three fridges packed up.
The circulating pump for the sea water cooling was hot hot.
I decided to connect a hose pipe to blast the cooling circuit but water would not flow. The first port of call were the connectors at each compressor. The first was fine but the second was jammed with barnacle shells, as shown in the photo. These connectors are a bottleneck.
Anyhow cleaned it out and we are back up and running.
No big deal, but clearly running sea water at 6 litres a minute is a perfect environment for shell fish.
Inevitably the whole circuit will get shelled up. This means the sea chest, the manifolds and the pipe work.
That fresh water tank option looking more attractive….

Happy sailing
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019
Serce Limani Turkey

Nick ,
Try Rydlyme next time you flush . Wonderful stuff . We do our whole seawater pipes/ hoses every 2-3 years

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302, Kilada , Greece (  launched yesterday )

[...]

Bill Kinney

Ryudlyme, Barnacle Buster, and several other Phosphoric Acid based cleaners on the market work well for this.

With as much trouble as the refrigeration circuit gives in this context, do not forget that if you are running the air conditioners at a high duty cycle, they will also clog up with growth.  That circuit has bigger pipes, so takes longer to clog, but it will go the same way, so having this capability onboard is important.

Worse (by far!) than barnacles are zebra mussels.  You won’t run into them too often, they are confined to either fresh water, or water with very low salt content, but just two weeks in places where they live can clog everything.  The shells are also much more resistant to acid removal than barnacles..  An hour or more of recirculating acid are needed.  https://fetchinketch.net/2018/09/06/russia-invades/

All of this is a bit easier to do on an older SM where all the seawater discharge hoses come back to the engine room which makes it simpler to plumb up a recirculating system.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Culebra, Puerto Rico

David Crisp

Ian, Judy,
I'm suspecting my refrigeration cooling circuit needs a clean out.  Can you buy Rydlyme in Greece?  I'm currently in Preveza.
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace

Vladan SV PAME

Hi David,

you can buy Barnacle Buster in Greece. https://www.superyachtchandlery.gr/product-page/barnacle-buster-1-gallon

Best Regards,
--
Vladan

A54 #157
SV PAME

David Crisp

Many thanks Vladan

--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace

You might be interested in the above from Amel Book Supplements:

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Sat, May 7, 2022, 09:44 David Crisp <david@...> wrote:
Many thanks Vladan

--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace

David Crisp

Many thanks Bill
--
David Crisp
SV Wilna Grace

Laurens Vos

Edited

Does anyone knows where to buy in other parts of Europe ?
ii’ve search everywhere on the internet but could not find any dealer or chandlery which has Barnacle Buster.
Or is it under a different name in Europe on the market ?

Laurens
Fun@Sea
La Rochelle

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Hi Laurens
I’m currently in the Aegean/ Greece and the Marina’s chandlery have this stuff in stock, just only 1 Ltr bottles. The main distributors here are all in Athens(>Nautilus). May it’s possible to send it within Europe to France.
But: there is also a French product that eliminates salt and such residues on marine engines and boats, recommend for conservation.
The name is StopSel(fr.= stop salt). Ask for, I believe this company is LaRochelle located.
I use it after season, flushing the engines first with freshwater, than topping up a50% mix through the main seawater chest, same way with Barnacle Buster recommended here. Have closer view on it, it’s not such aggressive acid.
Our ACs we flush with white vinegar for 24 hours, then flush with freshwater too. Works fine and pushs a lot of white debris out. Visible success.

Best and good luck.
Ulrich
S/Y „Soleil Bleu“, A54#088

[Edited Message Follows]