An Introduction

Stu and Lana Holmes

Hi everyone:

We are the new owners of “Oyai”, a SM2K, hull 373 and are thrilled to become part of this wonderful community that we have been following for the past few months.  Already, we have met many of you and are continually amazed at how knowledgeable and welcoming this group of people is.  A special thanks to Bill Rouse for being our guide in this process!

We had the ambitious plan of buying an Amel in the Caribbean (with a tight timeline) and sailing her across the Atlantic so we could experience the Mediterranean for the summer months. I’m happy to report that the boat and her crew made a successful crossing with a minimal amount of drama.  Oyai was very well kept by her previous owners Stefan and Anne Deerberg, and for that, we are very grateful. For the offshore passage, I hired a professional skipper to take us to the Azores as my offshore experience needed some bolstering. Xander Oldaker was quintessentially calm and experienced (and knows Amels, if you are in need of delivery services).  From the Azores, I led the crew to Gibraltar where I am completing a few boat tasks and eagerly await my family’s arrival so we can begin our tour of the Med.

We are joining the ARC in November to cross back to the Caribbean as a family. Having confidence in our boat is such a nice feeling and the west to east Atlantic crossing definitely helped with that.  We have two pre-teen daughters who are always eager and helpful crew.

We look forward to meeting many of you out and about in Europe or the Caribbean. If you see “Oyai”, please come over and say “hi”.

Stu, Lana, Aria & Micah

Wonderful accomplishment! Congratulations!

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022, 15:39 Stu and Lana Holmes via groups.io <stulana=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Jeffrey Buchanan

you are living my 3-5 year plan. can you give the group Xander contact information. Enjoy your time in the Mediterranean

On Mon, Jun 20, 2022 at 4:39 PM Stu and Lana Holmes via groups.io <stulana=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Kimberly Bunch

Hi Stu and Lana,

We are also joining the ARC this year in our Maramu 46. It's called Kujira (AKA whale) We'll look out for your boat on AIS 👍
We're looking forward to meeting you and your family and wish you all the best for your sailing adventures around the Med. What an exciting adventure you have planned!

Kimberly and Ben
SV Kujira

tony wells

Hi Stu and Lana

Congrats on your purchase and passage!

We used to have an Amel 54 but will be joining you on the Arc this November on our new Lagoon 42 (long story!). Anyway, looking forward to meeting you in Gran Canaria or before. And Kimberly and Ben, SV Kujira too.

Enjoy the Med meanwhile!

Tony & Lel

Ps PM me if any Med tips would be helpful (we’ve just spent 2 months looping from Gib to Barcelona, around the Balearics and back to Motril, east of Malaga) and love the more eastern Med too

On 20 Jun 2022, at 21:39, Stu and Lana Holmes via groups.io <stulana@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks so much Kimberley,

We will definitely keep an eye out for you out on the water!

Stu

Kimberly Bunch

We look forward to meeting you on the ARC too Tony and Lel.a lagoon must be very comfortable 👍
Kimberly SV Kujira Maramu #98