Anchor regalvanized

Mike Ondra

During the haul out for purchase survey, we saw clearly that a portion of the anchor had rusted away.

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 6:08 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] FA50 Silent mode on A54?

Hi Chris,

I am pretty sure my silent switch if fitted would be on the white wire on our FA50.

Would need to check this however.

Regards

Ross and Donna

SM2K #356

Currently in Turkey

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, October 28, 2021, 1:04 PM, Chris Likins <likinsca@...> wrote:

So I went to install the physical switch as mentioned above, however the purple and gray wires simply don’t exist on my FA50. Also, in the menu screen on the chart plotter, the “silent” option is also non existent.

It appears there might be a few different versions? The US manual specifies you can add a switch between the purple and gray wires, and it also specifies how to access silent mode through the menu screens.

The French manual however, omits the purple and gray wires on the wiring diagram and it makes no mention of a silent mode in the menu descriptions... it appears mine matches the French version??

Or is it possible I need to update firmware to access the silent menu? I have my doubts though since the physical wires for a silent switch don’t exist on mine...

--
Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond
SV Intrepid Kiwi

Mike Ondra

During the haul out for purchase survey, we saw clearly that a portion of the anchor had rusted away. Could see the sky through the hole!  Repaired it for the new owner.

After cutting out and replacing the rusted flat steel and regalvanizing, looks new. Cost a lot less than a new anchor!

Mike Ondra

Former owner of Aletes SM#240

[...]

Hi Mike,

As a matter of interest, do you know where you bought this anchor? It looks like a Spade but not exactly like one. I got to know the inventor, Alain Poireaud , quite well. I bought his very first stainless Spade, a 33kg which is a great anchor. He died a few years back but was really fed up with cheap imitations of his anchors flooding the market ( regardless of his patents ). Made in China, perhaps needless to say. An article in Cruising World by ( from memory ) the anchor buyer for West Marine about ten years ago pointed out the dangers of buying these rip offs, as even small changes to the design and materials can adversely affect performance. They found this in a number of anchor tests.
 In this case, it does make you wonder about the quality of the steel involved. I have never seen damage like that shown in your pictures.

Thankfully, genuine Spades, Rocnas, Ultras and others are readily available , but it's always  worth checking and paying the extra price involved for the real thing.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada, Greece

[...]

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Regarding Spade anchors, they come with life time replacement.

Mine was corroded, technically Spade wanted me to send it back, but since I was in Puerto Rico, they did not and they sent me a new one for free, only had to pay for the shipping, they also sent me a regalvanizing kit.

Sincerely, Alexandre

On Thursday, October 28, 2021, 12:11:11 PM AST, ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:

[...]

Ian,

Not sure where this “spade” anchor came from. We were the 3rd owners of Aletes and it came with our purchase. So probably 20 years in service, so far.

Anybody ever consider filling the voids that rusted out with non-shrink grout to add weight to the point and reduce the retention of water? Better yet, fill with lead.

Mike

Former owner Aletes SM#240

[...]

Eric Freedman

What kind of anchor was rusted away?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Hi,

I believe I had the same anchor.

The connecting bolt was stainless and for some reason there was galvanic action between the stainless and the galvanized steel.

Did your anchor have lead in the square box above the bolt?

Mine did and I had to have an old-time plumber fill it again as is dissolved when the anchor was galvanized.

[...]

Hi Eric. I’m not sure if our bolt was stainless nor if the area behind it was filled in by lead. In any case it looks solid and the bolt is now galvanized.

Mike

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Explore. Dream. Discover.

- Mark Twain