Topics

Anchor sizing


Bryce Procter
 

Hi Tuen,

Price for 100m Cromox Grade 60 10mm short link $8690 AUD ($6332 USD). 
This is from Bridco Qld Australia, I am also checking to see if it is available in Malaysia which is where my boat is currently moored.
I have a container being shipped from here to Malaysia next month so freight from here won't be an issue if I need to buy here.

Cheers

Bryce
SM 2K #467


James Alton
 

Hello,. I was wondering if anyone could comment on the expected service life of the Cromox chain?  Also, has anyone had any failures or corrosion issues with this grade of chain.  This would certainly be a big expenditure but perhaps worthy of consideration given the mess that traditional steel chains can cause.

James Alton
SV Sueno
Karamu #220

On Sep 14, 2020 3:27 AM, "Bryce Procter via groups.io" <Balibryce@...> wrote:
Hi Tuen,

Price for 100m Cromox Grade 60 10mm short link $8690 AUD ($6332 USD). 
This is from Bridco Qld Australia, I am also checking to see if it is available in Malaysia which is where my boat is currently moored.
I have a container being shipped from here to Malaysia next month so freight from here won't be an issue if I need to buy here.

Cheers

Bryce
SM 2K #467



Teun BAAS
 

Morning Bryce,

 

Thanks for the info; this is indeed cheaper while still in QLD.

I see that BURLEIGH HEADS is 38 KM south of COOMERA – I can surely buy from them and pick up; especially since TBWY makes cars and little pick up trucks available for free to the boats staying in their marina/yard.

 

You just saved me AU$1,310 😊 When I ever make it back and you are around I buy you dinner.

 

Thanks.

 

Best Regards Teun

A 54, 2009 #128

September 14, 2020 09:53:32

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bryce Procter via groups.io
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2020 00:28
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Anchor sizing

 

Hi Tuen,

 

Price for 100m Cromox Grade 60 10mm short link $8690 AUD ($6332 USD). 

This is from Bridco Qld Australia, I am also checking to see if it is available in Malaysia which is where my boat is currently moored.

I have a container being shipped from here to Malaysia next month so freight from here won't be an issue if I need to buy here.

 

Cheers

 

Bryce

SM 2K #467


Wolfgang Weber
 

If you use your anchor and chain in saltwater with 25 deg.Celcius I would recommend galvanised anchor chain, otherwise your chain will look nice but will have pinhole damages and will break with obvious outside good looking. Spare the money for stainless steal and buy some jewellery for your wife/friend,
Wolfgang Weber(Germany) SY Elise Amel 54#162(Fort Lauderdale) 






Bryce Procter
 

Hi Tuen,

If you purchase the chain within 60 days of departure you should also be able to claim back the 10% GST.

Cheers

Bryce


Sheriffdep
 

From mostly what I have read the Mantus actors are one of the best and a solid choice in any anchoring conditions. Not heard a negative thing about them. Delos put a "80lb" or thereabout one on and it fit the SM2k bow. I have also heard the Mantus swivels are the swivels of choice. Not cheap for any of it but that is one area where I will not go cheap to save a buck. Peace of mind so to speak. Hope this helps


Craig Briggs
 

Love my Mantus and would never switch (unless a new new thing comes out), but one time it was so solidly set that the shank bent about 30° while retrieving it in the morning after an overnight current and wind shift. It was so well set that the windlass couldn't break it out and I had to motor directly over it and needed some substantial rpms to break it free. So even at a 1:1 scope it was still holding like crazy. (No rocks - just hard mud in the ICW off Mar-A-Lago.) They sent me a new shank at no cost. They are a super anchor, but nothing's bullet proof. The Mantus T-shirt rocks, though.
Cheers, Craig -- SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL


Courtney Gorman
 

FYI delos did modify their anchor roller to accept the Mantus


-----Original Message-----
From: Sheriffdep via groups.io <velocitybts@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Mon, Sep 14, 2020 8:12 pm
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Anchor sizing

From mostly what I have read the Mantus actors are one of the best and a solid choice in any anchoring conditions. Not heard a negative thing about them. Delos put a "80lb" or thereabout one on and it fit the SM2k bow. I have also heard the Mantus swivels are the swivels of choice. Not cheap for any of it but that is one area where I will not go cheap to save a buck. Peace of mind so to speak. Hope this helps


Dominique Sery
 

Hello,
 
With my 54 I had several failures with the supplied original Wasi 30 kg anchor which I consider undersized and decided to change the size and brand.
After a long hesitation, I installed a Rocna of 55 kg 3 years ago.
I sail in Greece and I often have sudden gusts of wind.
Now, since this change, the anchor has never failed (even with 50 knots of wind at anchor).
No regrets and the anchor goes very well in the davit.
 
Dominique
Irko 1 A54-16


Teun BAAS
 

Hi Bryce,

 

Yeah I am aware of the 60 days refund but my intention is to sail AUSTRALIAN waters for the season (or maybe 2 seasons) 😊 I hear the WHITSUNDAYS are magnificent.

 

I could postpone buying the chain until I am ready to leave.

 

Best Regards Teun

 

A54 2009 #128

September 16, 2020 12:26:40

 

 

 

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bryce Procter via groups.io
Sent: Monday, September 14, 2020 16:47
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Anchor sizing

 

Hi Tuen,

 

If you purchase the chain within 60 days of departure you should also be able to claim back the 10% GST.

 

Cheers

 

Bryce


Rob Hughes
 

Did you need to change the bow roller to the ultra style or did your stock super maramu one work with the new anchor?


Jose Venegas
 

The Ultra 35kg fit well on my SM #278

Also, check this one out


Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM 278


VICTOR MOLERO
 

This is a very enriching thread. Thank you all for such valuable information. I am also about to change my 30 kg. Wasi for either a Mantus 48 kg. or an Ultra in my SM. But I see no one talking about the size of the chain (not the length). Do you recommend 10 mm or 12 mm. My first idea was going for a 12 mm. but I fear it might be too heavy on the bow. The other option is to keep my current 70 m. 10 mm. Inox chain with a 30 meters line.
Any comments about this will be more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Victor 
Alendoy SM#314


Dominique Sery
 

Hello Victor,
 
I changed the anchor but not the chain.
Because I have 100 meters (10 mm) stainless steel.
The locker can not store 100 m 12 mm or 14 mm and in Greece sometimes you have to drop the anchor in 20 m deep water.
But I think that 10 mm is too small, the chain is not heavy enough and the boat swings.
For the weight on the bow, I removed the second anchor and its chain, which I never used.
 
Dominique
Irko 1 A54-16


Heinz Stutenbaeumer
 

When I asked the manufacturer for information about my schiffstyes and the weight of my Sm 2000, he recommended the 8mm chain. I decided to use the 10mm chain. Never had a problem. Runs very clean and without noise. 
100 meters CROMOX - stainless steel - anchor chains G6, dimensions according to DIN 766, Dim. 8 x 24 mm (CXA 8), material 1.4462 (Duplex), electropolished, seawater resistant up to approx. 34,5°C, PRE - value 35, breaking strength 66 kN, weight 1,35 kg / m, own production - Made in Germany

Cheers 
Heinz , sy quetzal, Sm2000, 292


Am 18.09.2020 um 12:13 schrieb Dominique Sery <dominiquesery@...>:


Hello Victor,
 
I changed the anchor but not the chain.
Because I have 100 meters (10 mm) stainless steel.
The locker can not store 100 m 12 mm or 14 mm and in Greece sometimes you have to drop the anchor in 20 m deep water.
But I think that 10 mm is too small, the chain is not heavy enough and the boat swings.
For the weight on the bow, I removed the second anchor and its chain, which I never used.
 
Dominique
Irko 1 A54-16


VICTOR MOLERO
 

Thank you Doniniqie and Heinz.
I only have 70 m. I would like to go for 100, but for the moment I'm using the combination of chain and rope because the last 30 m. very seldom use them.
Victor 


Germain Jean-Pierre
 

Hello Victor,

As you own an SM, a 10 mm chain is vastly sufficient.. even a G70 grade 8 mm chain is overkill.

There are 3 grades of chain G30 (lowest grade), G40 and G70.  G40  is the grade installed by Amel.  As a suggestion, we have a 35KG Ultra with 100 meters of G40 grade 10 MM chain.  (We have been aboard 24/7 since July 15 and it never dragged. There is an additional 50 meters of 3/4 inch nylon line attached to the chain.  In the Pacific, you will encounter anchorages where the water is 35 meters....

Weight is also a factor in the choice.  Good luck and enjoy your Amel.

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, Opua, NZ




On 18 Sep 2020, at 21:50, VICTOR MOLERO <victor.moleroxx@...> wrote:


This is a very enriching thread. Thank you all for such valuable information. I am also about to change my 30 kg. Wasi for either a Mantus 48 kg. or an Ultra in my SM. But I see no one talking about the size of the chain (not the length). Do you recommend 10 mm or 12 mm. My first idea was going for a 12 mm. but I fear it might be too heavy on the bow. The other option is to keep my current 70 m. 10 mm. Inox chain with a 30 meters line.
Any comments about this will be more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Victor 
Alendoy SM#314


ngtnewington Newington
 

There is an old rule of thumb. For every 9 to 10 ft of boat you need 1/8 inch of chain. So for a 53 ft boat that suggests say 5/8 of an inch chain. 

That rule of thumb was based on the old grade 30 chain. So it would be equivalent to 1/2 inch grade 40. This is the correct size grade 40 chain for a 53 ft sailing yacht. 

The MBL of 12mm galvanised grade 40 chain is 9.6 metric tons. 

The problem is we all want close to 100m of chain in the the locker and at least on my 54 it would not fit, it would also be pretty heavy in the bow. Just where you do not want it.

So most Amels cruise quite happily with 10mm chain, grade 40. This chain has a MBL of 6.7T. This is of course adequate and acceptable, but it certainly is not over engineering!!! It is what Amel specified.


I have chosen to upgrade to 10mm Grade 70 chain with a MBL of 11 Tons. It is slightly more expensive than grade 40 but twice as strong.

When thinking about the possible forces exerted on a yacht at anchor, it is not just the windage which is the surface area exposed to the wind and of course the square of the wind speed, but

there are sheering and snubbing shock loads to consider and also the action of waves. 

In addition we are all quite rightly moving towards these super high holding power anchors like the Ultra and the Spade, Mantus, Rocna etc. These anchors when well set do not budge even with several tons of load.

If anyone is interested there is a great web site coxeng.co.uk which is full of really useful technical information including tests of chain and connectors and shackles….formulas etc.

All the best 

Nick
S/Y Amelia AML 54-019

On 19 Sep 2020, at 01:28, Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:

Hello Victor,

As you own an SM, a 10 mm chain is vastly sufficient.. even a G70 grade 8 mm chain is overkill.

There are 3 grades of chain G30 (lowest grade), G40 and G70.  G40  is the grade installed by Amel.  As a suggestion, we have a 35KG Ultra with 100 meters of G40 grade 10 MM chain.  (We have been aboard 24/7 since July 15 and it never dragged. There is an additional 50 meters of 3/4 inch nylon line attached to the chain.  In the Pacific, you will encounter anchorages where the water is 35 meters....

Weight is also a factor in the choice.  Good luck and enjoy your Amel.

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, Opua, NZ




On 18 Sep 2020, at 21:50, VICTOR MOLERO <victor.moleroxx@...> wrote:


This is a very enriching thread. Thank you all for such valuable information. I am also about to change my 30 kg. Wasi for either a Mantus 48 kg. or an Ultra in my SM. But I see no one talking about the size of the chain (not the length). Do you recommend 10 mm or 12 mm. My first idea was going for a 12 mm. but I fear it might be too heavy on the bow. The other option is to keep my current 70 m. 10 mm. Inox chain with a 30 meters line.
Any comments about this will be more than welcome.
Thanks in advance.
Victor 
Alendoy SM#314


VICTOR MOLERO
 

Thank you so much, Nick and Jean Pierre. Your messages are really clarifying. I very much appreciate the valuable information. 
I'll request a quotation to Ultra and Cromox, and see if I survive the impact :-).
Best
Victor