Topics

Another secret question...

Porter McRoberts

There exists a secret spot for hiding all that you don’t want found. I think it’s in the same spot on most Amels. My question is can anyone think of a time when it was found or breached?  How secure is this spot?  It’s it known among any customs folks?  

Many thanks!!

Porter McRoberts 
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Mar 30, 2021, at 10:41 AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar via groups.io <uster@...> wrote:

Look on the other side, mine was on the starvoard side.  I have seen some on the port side (when you open the hatch for the auto-pilot);\

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 02:59:04 PM CDT, Jeff Williams <jeff99williams@...> wrote:

Is this on all SMs?    I can’t see it on my boat.  
Jeff
S/V Spruzzo SM#379

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 9:44 PM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Its a kill switch flip it then no one can steel your boat.

Only issue is if you forget to turn it back on then need to start your engine in a hurry
Ceers
Courtney
svTrippin
54#101
St thomas

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Mar 30, 2021 3:23 pm
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] unknown switch

Hi,
Working on the electric circuit today, I found a switch behind the box of the 220v panel. Does anybody know what it is for?
<switch2.jpg>
<switch1.jpg>

regards,

Eloi
SM2K 426 Red Lion

<switch1.jpg>
<switch2.jpg>

As far as I know, it is still a secret, but we should not discuss where it is.🙈🙊🐒
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 4:46 PM Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
There exists a secret spot for hiding all that you don’t want found. I think it’s in the same spot on most Amels. My question is can anyone think of a time when it was found or breached?  How secure is this spot?  It’s it known among any customs folks?  

Many thanks!!

Porter McRoberts 
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206

On Mar 30, 2021, at 10:41 AM, Alexandre Uster von Baar via groups.io <uster=rocketmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

Look on the other side, mine was on the starvoard side.  I have seen some on the port side (when you open the hatch for the auto-pilot);\

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 02:59:04 PM CDT, Jeff Williams <jeff99williams@...> wrote:

Is this on all SMs?    I can’t see it on my boat.  
Jeff
S/V Spruzzo SM#379

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 9:44 PM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Its a kill switch flip it then no one can steel your boat.

Only issue is if you forget to turn it back on then need to start your engine in a hurry
Ceers
Courtney
svTrippin
54#101
St thomas

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Mar 30, 2021 3:23 pm
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] unknown switch

Hi,
Working on the electric circuit today, I found a switch behind the box of the 220v panel. Does anybody know what it is for?
<switch2.jpg>
<switch1.jpg>

regards,

Eloi
SM2K 426 Red Lion

<switch1.jpg>
<switch2.jpg>

Arno Luijten

Well, I found it without any help from outside. So given time anyone can find it. But your average thief will not spend enough time in the boat to find it.
But the strongbox under the bed is also a big delay for anyone that want to steal stuff.

Regards,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Davi Rozgonyi

Would any one mind emailing me the answer please??! Where is the secret spot?

davi.rozgonyi@...

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Hi Davi,

where are you from and are you a regular Amel owner, so please give us your boat signature below. THX.
Forum rules are asking your hull number and type of your Amel boat are very appreciated?

We should not, as Bill already recommends, not discuss about such essential issues in semi-public? Right?
Or, are you interested to guide the way on interested people. This is a very secret Amel detail, I believe really unique. and should be so further.

Best
Ulrich
„Soleil Bleu“ A54#088

<>
Am 31.03.2021 um 07:26 schrieb Davi Rozgonyi <davi.rozgonyi@...>:

Would any one mind emailing me the answer please??! Where is the secret spot?

davi.rozgonyi@...

Davi Rozgonyi

Hey hey, good looking out, but yes, full time liveaboard past 3 years, SM Hull 56, Wake. 

CARINA HAMMARLUND

Hi all,
Can you please share this information with us too by sending me an email?
Really appreciate this secret information.
syultimo@...

Many thanks and wish you all a happy eastern!
--
Carina
SV Ultimo
Amel 54 No 165

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Hi, I’d be interested in this too.

Paul.dowd@...

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Slavko Despotovic

Hello, I am aware of secret switch for engine, but not aware of secret space. If there is one I would be grateful for info on my email slavko@....

Thank you.
--
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

Mark & Debbie Mueller

After a scientifically designed poll and an equally well executed analysis thieves in the southern hemisphere were only slightly more interested in the Secret Spot than the northern hemisphere.  Thieves preferred the hundreds of dollars of kit available in the cockpit plus the easily available goodies in the cabin.  Customs Inspectors were interested but rather nonchalant; the prevailing comment was “we have dogs & saws – we will find the Secret Spot if necessary.

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Porter McRoberts

Best answer yet Mark!  I probably should have rephrased my question thus: 
As folks have sailed around the world and encountered the myriad cultures and attitudes of customs officials, did any display the level of interest and fortitude to apply the amount of time and effort required to find a secret spot?  This is the kind of chat that gets bantered about late at night in anchorages.  In Cuba for example, we were thoroughly searched. Dogs etc. In the interior of the boat. Not one exterior lazarette was considered.  Surely we couldn’t fit a Cuban in the aft lazarette!  Or sail locker!  And that’s true around the world thus far. Or the engine room.   Etc etc etc.   Just asking, as we’re looking into starting an import export business!!  

PM
S/V “AISBROKE”

On Apr 1, 2021, at 3:27 AM, Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:

After a scientifically designed poll and an equally well executed analysis thieves in the southern hemisphere were only slightly more interested in the Secret Spot than the northern hemisphere.  Thieves preferred the hundreds of dollars of kit available in the cockpit plus the easily available goodies in the cabin.  Customs Inspectors were interested but rather nonchalant; the prevailing comment was “we have dogs & saws – we will find the Secret Spot if necessary.

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Mark Garver

Great answer Mark! The USCG was doing an inspection on our boat and they asked :)

Mark Garver
S/V It’s Good
SM #105

On Apr 1, 2021, at 9:27 AM, Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Eloi Bamberg

Hi,

Being rather new to Amel, i am also interested to know were this could be: eloi.bamberg@...

thanks,
Eloi
SM2K 426 Red Lion 

Stephan Regulinski

I should be working on the rudder packing gland . . . but . . .

Instead, I made a list of over two dozen places to hide objects which could then only be found by a dog or an experienced Amel owner, but can be retrieved by the person who knows where to look in under a minute.

My list doesn’t include hiding things in plane sight, like slipping an iPad between books on a shelf, or putting spare cash in the trash can under the plastic liner.

I am with Mark on the question of theft. Thieves want an easy kill, so leave a couple of twenties on the chart table, and stow the “valuables” out of sight. The thief will have more cash in pocket than he’ll get from pawning your used stuff, and you’ll be spared the much greater expense of replacing it (think: cell phone, iPad, binoculars, or VHF radio).

Just a thought . . . Now everyone back to work . . . And would someone please look at my questions on the rudder packing gland?

Thanks,

Stephan G. Regulinski 
S/V Hanalei SM266

scentstone

Haha ! 1 rtw including an extensive survey by Aussies customs and biosecurity with a dentist's mirror and I still don't know where it is ;-)

Thank you for emailing at scentstone@...
Fair winds

Fred

S/V ScentStone  SM2K #375

[Note] If I has sthg to hide (but I don't because Mark Z. already knows everything about me) I would use the space under the aft shower…

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Given the number of times I search for something I put away safely I don't think I need a secret place. The options are multitudinous.

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 02 April 2021 at 08:16 scentstone <scentstone@...> wrote:

Haha ! 1 rtw including an extensive survey by Aussies customs and biosecurity with a dentist's mirror and I still don't know where it is ;-)

Thank you for emailing at scentstone@...
Fair winds

Fred

S/V ScentStone  SM2K #375

[Note] If I has sthg to hide (but I don't because Mark Z. already knows everything about me) I would use the space under the aft shower…

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Hi Stephan,
Sorry for interrupting at the rudder packing again….

then you put a lot of brain and craft into finding so many hiding places. Hats off! 
It's like Easter here in Germany: you hide chocolate eggs in the garden, then the children can look for them and eat them.
Can you share your recommendations with us here in the forum? We do not want to trade drugs, weapons or ammunition. But we don't want to leave a good watch or iPad lying around on the NavTable either.
Thanks for your support. Or do any other members here on the forum have any other tips?

THX and best wishes. stay safe and Happy Easter. 

Ulrich
„Soleil Bleu“ A54#088
<>

Am 01.04.2021 um 20:44 schrieb Stephan Regulinski via groups.io <stephreg@...>:

Instead, I made a list of over two dozen places to hide objects which could then only be found by a dog or an experienced Amel owner, but can be retrieved by the person who knows where to look in under a minute.

My list doesn’t include hiding things in plane sight, like slipping an iPad between books on a shelf, or putting spare cash in the trash can under the plastic liner.

I am with Mark on the question of theft. Thieves want an easy kill, so leave a couple of twenties on the chart table, and stow the “valuables” out of sight. The thief will have more cash in pocket than he’ll get from pawning your used stuff, and you’ll be spared the much greater expense of replacing it (think: cell phone, iPad, binoculars, or VHF radio).

Just a thought . . . Now everyone back to work . . . And would someone please look at my questions on the rudder packing gland?

Thanks,

Stephan G. Regulinski 
S/V Hanalei SM266

Ann-Sofie

I thought that we after 15 years owner ship, knew all places on our SM, but obviously not. Or we know of the place but don’t consider it as a secret spot. 

Some places are super to stove away things in. It can take years before you find the stuff again.

But as I am a curious person, can someone e-mail me about this secret place? 

Regards
Ann-Sofie@...
SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

01/04/2021 kl. 21:15 skrev Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer <ulrich.dangelmeyer@...>:

Hi Stephan,

then you put a lot of brain and craft into finding so many hiding places. Hats off! 
It's like Easter here in Germany: you hide chocolate eggs in the garden, then the children can look for them and eat them.
Can you share your recommendations with us here in the forum? We do not want to trade drugs, weapons or ammunition. But we don't want to leave a good watch or iPad lying around on the NavTable either.
Thanks for your support. Or do any other members here on the forum have any other tips?

Ulrich
„Soleil Bleu“ A54#088
<>

Thanks,

Stephan G. Regulinski 
S/V Hanalei SM266

Grant Starling

Keen to know too please:

grantstarling@...

Grant
’Allonzee’ SN#42

Mark Pitt

Please let me know too.

Mark Pitt, Sabbatical III, SM#419
  Mark_Pitt@...

On 4/1/2021 11:35 PM, Ann-Sofie wrote:
I thought that we after 15 years owner ship, knew all places on our SM, but obviously not. Or we know of the place but don’t consider it as a secret spot. 

Some places are super to stove away things in. It can take years before you find the stuff again.

But as I am a curious person, can someone e-mail me about this secret place? 

Regards
SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

01/04/2021 kl. 21:15 skrev Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer <ulrich.dangelmeyer@...>:

Hi Stephan,

Ulrich
„Soleil Bleu“ A54#088
<>

Thanks,

Stephan G. Regulinski 
S/V Hanalei SM266