Topics

Any data on B&G displays

Stefan and Anne Deerberg

Hi together!

We have on our SM from 2002 the original B&G Hydra 2000 system.
This morning, I switched it on and all 4 displays on the helmstaition showing nothing at all. But down at the navstation the Hydra 2000 FFD shows all except the wind informations.
 I’m not very experienced in electronics but my suggestion is the processor could be the problem.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

Thank you

Stefan
SM OYA, 373
Tobago Cays, Grenadines

It is likely that it is the B&G Hydra 2000 Processor. You should consider it at end-of-life at 18 years old.

You are in a beautiful spot. There is a place in England (https://www.aandtinstruments.com/) that might be able to repair the processor, but while it is removed, you will have nothing including no depth. Also, was the wind working on the digital display before this happened? When was the last time the wind was working? There are technicians on Grenada and Trinidad, but if it is the processor, they probably will not be able to help. There is a good B&G tech and shop in Nanny Cay Yard, Tortola, BVI.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 4:05 PM Stefan and Anne Deerberg <stefan.deerberg@...> wrote:
Hi together!

We have on our SM from 2002 the original B&G Hydra 2000 system.
This morning, I switched it on and all 4 displays on the helmstaition showing nothing at all. But down at the navstation the Hydra 2000 FFD shows all except the wind informations.
 I’m not very experienced in electronics but my suggestion is the processor could be the problem.

Has anyone ever had this problem?

Thank you

Stefan
SM OYA, 373
Tobago Cays, Grenadines

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

He Stefan last week i have the same problem , i maild and fone some houers with B&g on the end is the processor takes the data in give it to the digital unit but not to the analog units . The think like bill the processor is after 22 jaers on the end .
I make a post in the facebook groop , i am lucky and one menber sell me his old one compleat sythem
Try it also

Best Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Stefan and Anne Deerberg

Hi Elja!

That feels good. I’m not alone with this lovely old traditional clocks.
I like them very much. They made from very good aircraft Aluminium quality.
I’ll try to find a used processor,  but they will probably also be almost  20 years old.
In Martinique there is a really friendly perfectionist. Jacques is the owner from “Diginav” in Le Marin  and he loves to repair the old devices.
For my opinion it’s one of the most experienced marine electronic workshops I’ve ever seen.

Thank you for your ideas

Stefan

SM 373, OYA
Tobago Cays
( I suggest the  tobago cays will never be so empty again, like in theses Corona times. Just a handful  lonesome sailors)

Stefan Deerberg

Geschäftsführer
Deerberg GmbH
Unternehmer/ Entrepreneur

Velgen 35
29582 Hanstedt
Germany

Mobil: +49 172 7757444
stefan.deerberg@...
www.deerberg.de

On 18. Jul 2020, at 09:40, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

He Stefan last week i have the same problem , i maild and fone some houers  with B&g  on the end is the processor takes the data in give it to the digital unit but not to the analog units . The think like bill the processor is after 22 jaers on the end .
I make a post in the facebook groop , i am lucky and one menber sell me his old one compleat sythem
Try it also

Best Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Stefan and Anne Deerberg

Hi Elja!

Today we checked the processor Blackbox. There we found a 50 cent blowing out fuse.
That’s it.
The system is working probably and we placed a spare fuse for the next failure with tape outside on the processor box.
If you got some of these problems with your new old system again, just check the fuse. After 18 years they are allowed to blow away sometimes.

Good luck

Stefan

SM OYA,
373, lonesome in the Tobago Cays

Mobil: +49 172 7757444
stefan.deerberg@...

On 18. Jul 2020, at 09:40, Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222 <Bijorka@...> wrote:

He Stefan last week i have the same problem , i maild and fone some houers  with B&g  on the end is the processor takes the data in give it to the digital unit but not to the analog units . The think like bill the processor is after 22 jaers on the end .
I make a post in the facebook groop , i am lucky and one menber sell me his old one compleat sythem
Try it also

Best Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Stephan,

Can you take a photo of the fuse location?

On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 4:01 PM Stefan and Anne Deerberg <stefan.deerberg@...> wrote:
[...]

Sorry Bill,
everything is already reassembled but I think about to take photos next time.
I opened  the processor box, wich is right behind the B&G Hydra 2000 MFD, with the 4 screws and there you can see the little 1 amp glass fuse easily. This fuse protects all 4 display devices and the masthead unit as well.

Stefan

Mobil: +49 172 7757444
stefan.deerberg@...

On 20. Jul 2020, at 18:17, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Can you tell me what model B&G Hydra you have i.e. Hercules, Hydra, Hydra 2000, etc? Or what year? The reason I ask is the technical information I have on the Hydra 2000 does not show a fuse.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 7:42 AM Stefan and Anne Deerberg <stefan.deerberg@...> wrote:
[...]

Bill,
It’s the Hydra 2000 from 2002.
I have also missed the fuse in my technical data.

Stefan

Mobil: +49 172 7757444
stefan.deerberg@...
www.deerberg.de

On 21. Jul 2020, at 09:34, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Perfect. If you ever are able to take a photo, I really need one for my book.

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 10:19 AM Stefan and Anne Deerberg <stefan.deerberg@...> wrote:
[...]

I had it all this time but had forgotten about the fuse & the battery on the mainboard in the Hydra 2000. I suspect something similar in the H3000.

Does this look like what you saw?

image.png

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 3:40 PM CW Bill Rouse via groups.io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Hi Bill,