Topics

Autopilot

Alexander Ramseyer

Dear Amelians,
I see some black dust that seems to come from the cylinder of the autopilot (see pic). How concerned should I be? Is it something serious that needs to be repaired immediately or is it just normal to have this sort of dust?
Thanks for your advice,
Alex
SY NO STRESS
Amel54#15

Arno Luijten

Alex,

From the picture it seems you are looking at the rod coming from the steering wheel. Are you sure this is the autopilot cylinder/
Depending on this it’s bad or not great, the latter being the rod.
If it were the autopilot cylinder, I would expect lots of leakage of hydraulic oil as well.

In case it’s the steering cable (the rod) you should consider replacement and for the short term lubrication with grease.

Alex & Arno AND others interested

In the early days of the 54 production, there were at least some fitted with the same Raymarine M81134 Type 2 Long Linear Drive 24 Volt units, Raymarine 7001+ control head and a Raymarine autopilot computer (plus fluxgate and rudder ref).  This, BTW, is the reason the photo of the helm in your A54 Manual shows Raymarine:
image.png

Maybe Alex has Raymarine. In that case it is normal for a Raymarine drive unit of this age to be spilling some dust. I believe the dust normally comes from brush wear on the 24 volt motor, but may also be some wear of the 12 volt clutch. The reddish brown color makes me believe it might be the clutch, but the carbon brush dust will turn a reddish color from rust. If I am correct about the Raymarine drive, it is one of those bulletproof devices from the past and you should certainly have it rebuilt, or DIY.

Bill

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 6:43 PM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:
Alex,

From the picture it seems you are looking at the rod coming from the steering wheel. Are you sure this is the autopilot cylinder/
Depending on this it’s bad or not great, the latter being the rod.
If it were the autopilot cylinder, I would expect lots of leakage of hydraulic oil as well.

In case it’s the steering cable (the rod) you should consider replacement and for the short term lubrication with grease.

Mark & Debbie Mueller

I believe Arno is correct, the original photo shows the terminal end of the steering cable.  The attached photo shows a larger perspective and where the cable end attaches to the quadrant.  The linear drive attachment is toward the top of the photo.
--
Brass Ring  A54

Yep, steering cable for sure.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019, 2:57 PM Mark & Debbie Mueller <brass.ring@...> wrote:
I believe Arno is correct, the original photo shows the terminal end of the steering cable.  The attached photo shows a larger perspective and where the cable end attaches to the quadrant.  The linear drive attachment is toward the top of the photo.
--
Brass Ring  A54

Alexander Ramseyer

thanks everybody for the input.
Yes, I have a Raymarine Autopilot as suggested by Bill (btw, it so far always worked perfect). The dust you see on the pic is located beneath the bed in the aft cabin (no electrical motors nearby). I'm just a little bit confused as you are talking about "cables", I see a metal stick coming out of that black unit. The dust seems to come out of that black unit. I see absolutely no oil anywhere. So bottom line, I sure will have this repaired sooner than later.
Does anyone know how I find the exact replacement unit?
Thanks, Alex

Alex,

The steering cables and the steering rack connected to the helm are made by Ultraflex in Genoa, Italy (http://ultraflex.ultraflexgroup.com). According to SAV at Amel, the manufacturer suddenly and without notice stopped making these parts. SAV says that they are currently working on a possible solution. You should contact SAV at Amel (SAV at Amel.fr) and let them know that you are interested in a solution. The instructions for replacement are in the newest printing of my Amel Book.

The following is verified for a SM, and probably the same for a 54, but I am not sure about that. Ask SAV.
Steering cables: M61 FT25 498
Rack: T58 Reference 33014R
Rack End Caps (need 2) (no number)

The US Distributor is: