Autopilot and other questions

Ben Levy

Happy new year to all and everyone!

I have recently purchased an Amel Maramu 1981 and I am still trying to figure out what is what, what does what and what is original and what is not.
I have a few questions I was hoping some of you would be able to help me with.

1. Regarding the steering, is it hydraulic or just cables? Anyone can enlighten me please.

2. I currently have the original NECO auto pilot, is it (easily) possible to install a 2nd more modern auto pilot with a linear drive attached to the rudder quadrant? If not, what have people with such vintage boats done?

3. I can't figure out what this is for (circled in red in the photo bellow). It is in the aft cabine, just next to the rudder. It's a hollow tube, which doesn't seem to have any fonction. The plate it is attached to on the right hand side (also circled in red) is rusty, which would make me believe it isn't original. The board numbered 1 green on the photo is not only screwed in but also finer glassed on one side, so I can't remove it to see whether the tube goes anywhere or does anything. Anyone has an idea? Can I remove it? It wold be a good location for a linear drive unit (if I can install one...)

4. I found these in the boat spare parts. They have the amel logo on them, but I can't figure out what they are and what they are being used for?

5. Same with the 2 levers circled on the photo, what are they, what do they do, what is the on and the off position?

6. What about this big piece of metal which goes from the aft (into the fibreglass), under the bed and disappear into the fibreglass next to the rudder stock? Is it linked to the SSB? Is it for grounding?

7. Can anyone confirm whether there is or there is not an access to the fuel tank? It seems unlike amel not to have thought of that and I was wondering whether underneath the wooden board which sits on top on the fuel tank there would be an access (I haven't checked for myself yet as electronics has been installed on top of it and it will turn into a mission to remove it.)

8. I was told that the chain (like a cycle chain) linking the wheel to the NECO autopilot needed to be tightened. But I can't think of anyway to do so? Is it actually doable or does it need to be entirely replaced?

Thank you all so much for your help. I have to admit being a little overwhelmed by the boat and how different it is to any other boat I know...
Cheers,
Ben

Maramu #98, KUJIRA

Courtney Gorman

Ben the very FIRST thing you should do is call Bill Rouse 1 832 380 4970 and sign up for his Amel School it will be the very best dollars you spend on your boat.  Cheers and congratulations
Courtney Gorman
scTrippin
54#101
secret Harbour Grenada

[...]

Bill Kinney

Ben,

I can answer a few of your questions, but do not have enough familiarity with the details of a Maramu to get all of them just based on the pictures. It is also difficult to be 100% sure, since many things could have been changed by previous owners...

Here goes:

1:  The steering is a rack and pinion sheathed pull/pull cable system, same as used on most larger Amels. I can see enough of things in the various photos to be sure of this.

2:  It is POSSIBLE to install a linear drive for the AP.  How easy... I am not sure.  Don't discount the chain drive system to the wheel shaft.  It is no less "modern." If it needs replacing, Raymarine makes a chain drive unit that MIGHT fit right in there.

3. Can't help with that!  You'll need another Maramu owner, or more pictures...  I have a guess (but no more than that).  It LOOKS like the original mounting point for the steering cable ends, but that seems a VERY unlikely modification, so I'll go with "I don't know."

4.  Ibid.

5.  Based on the labels, I would guess those were the battery disconnect switches, but don't take that to the bank without tracing some wires.

6.  If your boat had a factory installed SSB this was part of the grounding system for that, connecting to a ground plate on the rudder skeg.  The details of how this was integrated (or not!) into the bonding system on a Maramu, I can't help with.

7.  No help, sorry.  Maybe a photo or two?

8. I haven't done this adjustment with this brand of AP drive, but I'd bet the drive unit is bolted down through slotted holes that allow fine positioning of it relative to the driven gear.  Loosen the bolts, slide the drive unit to the right (as in the photo) and tighten it down again.  The chain should be not sloppy, but not bar tight either. No more than needed to remove ALMOST all the play from the steering wheel when the drive is engaged.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
For Lauderdale, FL

rob dillmann

Dear Ben,

Your maramu is in some respects similar to our contemporary mango:
1. It is cable steering
2. I think that might be possible, but you can also install a second one near the neco (that was done in our mango).
3. The tube with the bolts is the mechanical stop to limit rudder angles. Must be strong when you move backwards and let the rudder slip.
4. Haven’t got a clue on those. Interesting…
5. The guindeau is the anchorwinch. Has a seperate key. The other one is apparently for the disconnection of the amel bonding system. But I do not know more than that.
6. The piece of metal connects to earth plates in the skeg for the ssb set up.
7. There is acces to the fuel tanks, and they can be cleaned. Difficult to access, indeed.
8. I am not sure. We have a spanning device with shock cord that does the trick.

I hope this helps!
Best regards,
Rob Dillmann
Mango 43

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 6 jan. 2022 om 19:26 heeft Ben Levy <benjamin.levy@...> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

Giorgio Ardrizzi

Hi Ben

4) It is a tool for fixing the table in the cockpit.  It attaches to the wheelhouse seat and locks the table.
At least on my Sharki, but I think it's the same on the Maramu.

Greetings

Giorgio Ardrizzi
sy Saudade III - Sharki #1
currently in Guadalupe

Gerhard Mueller

Hi Giorgio
Thank you. I have the same tool (4) but finally now after many years I know what it is for.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60

Bill Kinney

I see Rob has already beat me to the update I have…

#3:  the empty metal pipe holds the rudder stops.  I was just helping someone with an Amel Sharki, and the system was the same there. A bit easier to figure out in person than with a photo!

Ben Levy

Thank you for your reply.
3. That's interesting. If I understand properly, originally there would have been 2 cables running from the 2 bolts to the rudder quadrant, right? Which must have been removed, then.
6. Yes the boat came with an SSB radio, so you must be right about that.
7. I'll take a few photos once on the boat later this week
8. That was also my first thought but I had a quick look at it and I couldn't see any slotted holes. I'll have another look.

cheers,
Ben

Ben Levy

Thank you for your reply.
2. Would you be able to send me a few photos of your 2nd auto pilot installation, I would be really interested to see where/how it can be fitted next to the NECO!
3. Does it mean that I should reattache cables between the bolts and the rudder? or is the rubber quadrant "banging" on the bolts? is that how it work?
7. So the fuel access is located on top of the tank, right? Do you have any idea how big it is?

Cheers,
Ben

Giorgio Ardrizzi

Hi Ben
Question 3: that's right, the only function of the pipe is to stop the rudder quadrant. The bolts allow you to adjust the stroke end on both sides of the blade.  Nothing else.

Giorgio Ardrizzi
Sharki #1 Saudade III
Currently in Guadeloupe

Il Sab 8 Gen 2022, 19:20 Ben Levy <benjamin.levy@...> ha scritto:
Thank you for your reply.
2. Would you be able to send me a few photos of your 2nd auto pilot installation, I would be really interested to see where/how it can be fitted next to the NECO!
3. Does it mean that I should reattache cables between the bolts and the rudder? or is the rubber quadrant "banging" on the bolts? is that how it work?
7. So the fuel access is located on top of the tank, right? Do you have any idea how big it is?

Cheers,
Ben

rob dillmann

Dear Ben,
2. That will take some time..I will be on the boat at the end of April…
3. You don’t need cables.  It is just an adjustable stop (the bolts stop the quadrant).
7. Yes, they are on top of the tanks, around 15-20 cms in diameter. The starboard tank is under the berth in the passage (in the mango it is) and you need to remove the bottom of that to get access. We have had both tanks cleaned via that.
Best regards,
Rob
Westwind Mango 43

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 9 jan. 2022 om 00:20 heeft Ben Levy <benjamin.levy@...> het volgende geschreven:

Thank you for your reply.
2. Would you be able to send me a few photos of your 2nd auto pilot installation, I would be really interested to see where/how it can be fitted next to the NECO!
3. Does it mean that I should reattache cables between the bolts and the rudder? or is the rubber quadrant "banging" on the bolts? is that how it work?
7. So the fuel access is located on top of the tank, right? Do you have any idea how big it is?

Cheers,
Ben

Thomas Wink

Hi Ben,

7. On my 1979 Maramu I had to make the access points myself. The tanks has 4 dividers, so I had to make 4 access points. I consider it a possibility that the tank is not original though..

On Thu, 6 Jan 2022, 19:26 Ben Levy, <benjamin.levy@...> wrote:
[...]

Dirk Hazenoot Maramu Huli 171

Hi Ben,

We are also proud owners of an Amel Maramu hull 171. We are preparing the boat for our world trip. We were also looking for a backup autopilot. I think there is not enough room on the back of the rudder for a linear drive. We have decided to install a Hydrovane so that we immediately have an emergency rudder and can also have our boat steered when our electrical systems are out, for example due to a lightning strike.

If I can help you with anything and if you want to exchange experiences, my email address is dekoer@....

We are doing a complete refit and are on the boat every day. If you have any questions let us know.

Chris Warren

Hi,
I have an L and S hydraulic linear drive (can't remember which model) which has a remote pump in my Maramu#69. It is mounted under the rudder stops. I do not have any better pictures but it can be done!
Chris
Maramu #69
kaleula@...