Autopilot drive on a Amel Maramu 46ft

Dirk Hazenoot Maramu Huli 171

Dear Amel friends,

We want to place a 2nd autopilot on our Maramu. Can you tell me which Drive fits best on an Amel Maramu 46ft? I will be very grateful if you can send me a picture of your drive installation. My email address is dekoer@...

Have fun sailing and it is so nice to be an Amelowner.

@Bill maybe you have a good tip for us?

Sincerely,

Dirk and Stephanie

Volker

Dirk,
we do have a Sharki snd did install the second autpilot in the aft compartment as a complete independent drive from our old 6000 system.
The second system is a Raymarine with a Jefa drive. We are very pleased with its performance.

Volker
Mickmoon, Sharki hull 176

Dirk Hazenoot Maramu Huli 171

Dear Volker,

Thank you for your comment. I've seen your setup. Looks nice. I also checked the Jefa site and saw that a Maramu is too heavy for the direct drive autopilot drive unit type I (30' to 45'). When I want to use Jefa I have to install the direct drive autopilot drive unit type II (40' to 55'). The drive unit type II is 252 mm high and I cannot store that height in the hatch at the quadrant. Too bad because I think I would also be very satisfied with a Jefa drive. Thanks again

Yours sincerely
Dirk Hazenoot

Dirk Hazenoot Maramu Huli 171

Can someone tell me which drive unit fits on the quadrant in an Amel Maramu?

Warren Traill

Thanks for that info Volker.
I also have a Sharki. Hull#15.
Could you give me the model # of the Raymarine unit you use with the Jefa drive?
And any photo of the set up in the compartment above the sink would be really helpful also.
I have no autopilot at all.
Thanks,
Warren
Manon2

Sent from Android device

On 17 Oct 2021 12:39 am, Volker <Puchta@...> wrote:
Dirk,
we do have a Sharki snd did install the second autpilot in the aft compartment as a complete independent drive from our old 6000 system.
The second system is a Raymarine with a Jefa drive. We are very pleased with its performance.

Volker
Mickmoon, Sharki hull 176

Volker

Hi Warren,

we installed the Raymarine Evolution 200 autopilot together with the Jefa DD 1 drive unit. The Evolution unit box is located near to the Jefa drive in the aft (see picture). The heading sensor is installed inside the  big cabin table, where bar is located. All is connected to a Axiom multi navigation display at the nav station.

Volker Puchta
Michmoon, Sharki hull 176