Autopilot, rudder feedback unit

Eloi Bamberg

Hello,
I want to change my Raymarine autopilot central unit to a B&G NAC-3. Does anybody know whether I can connect the Raymarine rudder feedback unit to the B&G central or do I need to change also the rudder unit?

Eloi
SM2K 426 RedLion

Bill Kinney

Eloi,

The Raymarine rudder sensor is not compatible with the B&G system. When we installed a B&G system, we kept the Raymarine autopilot computer in place as a backup.

If you are going to keep the Raymarine linear drive (which I would recommend) be aware that the clutch on the Raymarine drive is a 12 volt clutch and takes some tweaks to work with the B&G computer which always outputs the clutch voltage the same as the drive voltage.  I don't know how long the clutch would last driven by 24Volts, but I'd bet it would be pretty short.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Eloi Bamberg

Bill,
Thank you for the information. I read your comment to put in a resistor to have 12v on the clutch. I will follow your advise.

Eloi