Topics

B&G autopilot installation

Arlo

Hello all. I have a 1985 Amel Mango hull # 46. I am installing a new B&G autopilot using the B&G T2 marine linear actuator. The space is tight but It will fit fine. I unfortunately need to cut some of the original plywood top where the starboard mattress rest on for access to the compartment where I plan to have a stainless steel support bracket made to support the torque generated forward and aft and side to side when actuated. Also the Ram will not fit down in the space unless I remove some of the mattress support temporarily. I made sure I have clearance for all hard over rudder angles. I also verified my rudder feedback mechanism will fit.

So having said all of that before I start cutting (which I hate doing) has anyone else installed a similiar or same setup in your Amel? Any challenges or issues I need to be aware of? I attached a few pictures as well and will follow up with more pics once the project is completed. The ram is sitting on top of the mattress support but will be under it once installation is completed.

Thanks
Arlo

Karen Smith

Edited

Ario,

I think you are on the right track.  The key will be having a good robust way of transferring the thrust forces from the ram to the hull so the design of the bracket is important. Remember: Nothing too strong ever breaks!

it is normally considered best practice to have the autopilot drive attach to the rudder shaft with a tiller arm separate from the normal steering system. Thus is done for two reasons.  It avoids needing to add a hole in the existing structure and thereby weakening it, and in the highly unlike event the existing quadrant was to fail or come loose, the autopilot is a completely redundant system.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA

Volker

Hi Arlo,

we did a similar project on our Sharki. But I we have choosen a more compact drive from JEFA, which is mounted to a stainless L shaped steel profile, bolted to the stringer.

Regards,
Volker
SV Mickmoon; Sharki hull 176

I really like the install in your Sharki. I think it is perfect and gets rid of the chain-drive noise. That looks like the Jefa 150 KgM autopilot direct drive unit type I. I think a Mango or SM will need a Jefa 3600 Nm (375 KgM) autopilot direct drive unit type DD2 (12 or 24 volts).

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, Jan 16, 2021 at 11:30 AM Volker <Puchta@...> wrote:
Hi Arlo,

we did a similar project on our Sharki. But I we have choosen a more compact drive from JEFA, which is mounted to a stainless L shaped steel profile, bolted to the stringer.

Regards,
Volker
SV Mickmoon; Sharki hull 176

Arlo

Edited

Nice installation for sure. I will give them a call.