Topics

B&G H3000 & B&G H5000 Amel 54 and Amel 55

Amel 54 and Amel 55 owners with B&G H3000 or H5000:
Did you know that if your B&G Sonic Speed fails, there is a user-programmable setting in the H3000 & H5000 processor to use SOG from your GPS instead of SOW from your Sonic Speed Sensors and Processor? And, GPS speed is already wired to the B&G processor.
This will mean that Boat Speed will display on all instruments as SOG. If a current exists, True Wind Angle and True Wind Speed will be slightly off, but since you are not a racer, this minor variance should not bother you.
B&G H2000 and earlier models do not have this feature.
H3000 turn to page 48 in your B&G Manual
H5000 turn to page 53 in your B&G Manual

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Bill,

As I understand, B&G no longer support the Sonic Speed, and neither do A+T Instruments. This being the case, is there a recommended alternative system? I did hear of a combined forward looking sonar / speed, but have no further info. I’ve been using SOG in the Hydra for a couple of years now, but its nice to have the correct info, e.g. to know how much current there is when at anchor before jumping in!

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

--
Cheers
Paul

Paul,

As recently as 4 months ago a member of this group purchased new Sonic Speed sensors. I believe what happened is that B&G stopped producing them about 5 or 6 years ago, then somehow, a supply hit the market about 2 years ago. There still may be some available.

There is not a universal answer to your question, other than to say that you will need to either replace the sonic speed sensors (if you can find them) or replace the sonic speed sensors with another source of SOW. The H3000 and H5000 will take one type of sensor and the H2000 a different type. Most sensors available are made by Airmar. I would check with a B&G rep or A+T for compatibility, but it is safe to say that if you want SOW rather than SOG reported to the processor, you will likely need to drill another hole in your hull. You may wind up chasing the idea that a multi-sensor including Depth and SOW will eliminate another hole. This can be true, depending on your processor, but in every case, that I have seen it requires enlarging the current Depth sensor hole to 51mm.

In my opinion, you do not need SOW when you can substitute SOG. In fact, SOG is what really counts in determining what gets you there and when. One last comment: I sailed most of the world with SOG substituted for SOW. I did this because I felt that SOG was preferential to another hole drilled in the hull. In my case with the H2000, I had to buy a black box from A+T to accomplish this.

I am fairly sure of accuracy of what I have written above, but like many things, what is available changes. Be sure to do your own research.