B&G instrument covers and new ultrasonic speed sensors?

Stu and Lana Holmes

Hi everyone:

I am looking for replacement instrument covers for my 4 B&G analog displays. Mine are beginning to fall apart.  Maybe someone out there has a few that they are willing to part with for the right price?  They don’t have to be perfect, just serviceable.  Or any suggestions of where to buy these new?  We are in the Mediterranean currently, but will be heading to the Caribbean in December.

Also, I am looking for replacement B&G ultrasonic speed sensors.  They are difficult to come by, but I am wondering if someone out there bought some as spares, but don’t intend to use them.  I would make use of them

Thanks!
Stu Holmes,

SM 373, Oyai

Stu,

This is the number of the sensors you need:
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 8:58 AM Stu and Lana Holmes via groups.io <stulana=yahoo.ca@groups.io> wrote:

Hi everyone:

I am looking for replacement instrument covers for my 4 B&G analog displays. Mine are beginning to fall apart.  Maybe someone out there has a few that they are willing to part with for the right price?  They don’t have to be perfect, just serviceable.  Or any suggestions of where to buy these new?  We are in the Mediterranean currently, but will be heading to the Caribbean in December.

Also, I am looking for replacement B&G ultrasonic speed sensors.  They are difficult to come by, but I am wondering if someone out there bought some as spares, but don’t intend to use them.  I would make use of them

Thanks!
Stu Holmes,

SM 373, Oyai

Rink De Haan

Hi all,

Since the original sonic speed sensors are out of production, very expensive and technology from 2 decades ago, why not opt for the new airmar sonic sensors? The are also not cheap but fit in the depth sensor fitting - at least it did on my #330 hull - and you have up to date technology. Same for the old instruments. Sooner or later you will have to change to NMEA2000 or STNG.

I complete changed all instruments to new Raymarine including radar. It’s a relief when it alls works together without an issue.

Cheers
Rink

Verstuurd vanaf mijn iPhone

Op 28 jun. 2022 om 19:03 heeft CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

Bill Kinney

For older electronics (including sun covers!) check out Max Marine Electronics in Pompano Beach, Florida.  If you can't find what you want on their website or e-bay pages it is worth a phone call or email. They have warehouses of stuff that is not not all in the online inventory.  They have been a great resource for me.  There is also a first rate repair shop associated with them.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada.

Teun BAAS

Hi Stu,

If the 4 analog B&G displays are the same as those on the AMEL 54 (and I guess they are) then those sun covers are out of production. In April and May 2022 I tried ordering here in AUSTRALIA as well as checking the internet and none to be found. Through a B&G dealer friend we were able to locate 8 x the H3000 (rectangular) sun covers in the AUSTRALIA B&G inventory of which I bought 5 (I have 3 of those H3000 units on board although only 1 possibly will be in the sun ).

To solve the problem on the 4 analog old style B&G covers I decided to replace the complete units with 4 TRITON units and ordered at the same time extra sun covers. One of the considerations to replace the existing (still working) B&G units was that the cable connection @ the back is getting brittle and sooner or later they will fail.

Although the TRITONS were ordered early May, promised to be here late May and then June they still have not arrived. Now the promised date is July 11, 2022 @ the dealer. BTW this dealer has 40 TRITON on order and so far unable to get them from B&G AUSTRALIA.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

HOPE ISLAND MARINA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

July 3, 2022 15:37:47

I am looking for replacement instrument covers for my 4 B&G analog displays. Mine are beginning to fall apart.  Maybe someone out there has a few that they are willing to part with for the right price?  They don’t have to be perfect, just serviceable.  Or any suggestions of where to buy these new?  We are in the Mediterranean currently, but will be heading to the Caribbean in December.

Also, I am looking for replacement B&G ultrasonic speed sensors.  They are difficult to come by, but I am wondering if someone out there bought some as spares, but don’t intend to use them.  I would make use of them

Thanks!
Stu Holmes,

SM 373, Oyai

Teun BAAS

Stu,

Last Friday they replaced the 4 analog B&G displays with 4 B&G TRITON2s – if these old ones are indeed the same (size) on your boat then I have 2 sun covers in perfect shape and 1 with cracks. If you pay for the postage I can send them to you. Let me know and send me an Email: teun@...

Removal of the 4 original units, although all of them working perfectly, confirmed that the plastic male “screw on” connectors were all brittle and easily broke off. The actual “plug in connectors are still solid and could be secured with tape or similar but I just didn’t want to run the risk that with my (typical) luck all of the sudden the cable disconnects when the boat is “rocking & rolling” in the middle of a pitch dark stormy night.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

HOPE ISLAND MARINA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

July 17, 2022 11:40:10