Topics

B&G issues

Paul Brown

Hello all,

im inquiring if someone can assist, my B&G H3000 has an issue with regards to displaying the TWS as the AWS and the AWA as the AWS so both are the same, with no displaying of the TWS. Also the boat speed is not displaying despite the paddle wheel being operable.

if I run the engine the displaying of the TWS and AWS and boat speed functions as normal but then when the engine is off and we are sailing the issue continues.

any assistance would be appreciated 

thank you Paul Brown 55#17

Gerhard Mueller

There is not sufficient current when your engine doesn't run perhaps?
When your engine is running and everything is OK as expected the B&G H3000 seems to have no problems.
So a low electricity current might be the reason for that.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60
Currently Kalamata, Greece

tony wells

Hi Paul

If you’re unable to solve the problem via the forum then Sarah at A&T (formerly Tinley Electronics) in Lymington, UK maybe able to help. Bill Rouse introduced me to them. They’ve built a business servicing B&G but also now provide their own processors and other kit which fully integrates with B&G but has the advantage of being fully serviceable. I plan to replace all my Nav electronics this winter and will explore A&T as the ‘hub’. My H3000 keeps ‘freezing’ - unnerving! 

Sarah is highly knowledgeable and helpful - Tel +44 1590 610071 or sarah@...

I’ve attached their product info. 

Best of luck. 

Tony Wells
A54 #102 Balthazar 
Anchored at Keri, Zakynthos Greece

On 27 Jul 2019, at 11:37, Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:

Hello all,

im inquiring if someone can assist, my B&G H3000 has an issue with regards to displaying the TWS as the AWS and the AWA as the AWS so both are the same, with no displaying of the TWS. Also the boat speed is not displaying despite the paddle wheel being operable.

if I run the engine the displaying of the TWS and AWS and boat speed functions as normal but then when the engine is off and we are sailing the issue continues.

Paul Brown

Thank you Gerhard,

Today the issue was still apparent underway using the motor, which is indicting it may not be a low power issue, although the other day I was underway using the motor for several hours and issue rectified its self so perhaps a power issue.

Thanks again 

Regards Paul 55#17

On 27 Jul 2019, at 1:08 pm, Gerhard Mueller via Groups.Io <carcode@...> wrote:

There is not sufficient current when your engine doesn't run perhaps?
When your engine is running and everything is OK as expected the B&G H3000 seems to have no problems.
So a low electricity current might be the reason for that.
--
Gerhard Mueller
Amel Sharki #60
Currently Kalamata, Greece

Paul Brown

Thank you Tony, I will certainly contact Sarah on Monday, I’ve found the H3000 to be working ok except for this recent issue which I’m hoping it’s a simple fix like a low power or setup problem.

Thanks again and much appreciated

Paul 55#17

On 27 Jul 2019, at 1:12 pm, tony wells via Groups.Io <tony.wells@...> wrote:

Hi Paul

If you’re unable to solve the problem via the forum then Sarah at A&T (formerly Tinley Electronics) in Lymington, UK maybe able to help. Bill Rouse introduced me to them. They’ve built a business servicing B&G but also now provide their own processors and other kit which fully integrates with B&G but has the advantage of being fully serviceable. I plan to replace all my Nav electronics this winter and will explore A&T as the ‘hub’. My H3000 keeps ‘freezing’ - unnerving! 

Sarah is highly knowledgeable and helpful - Tel +44 1590 610071 or sarah@...

I’ve attached their product info. 

Best of luck. 

Tony Wells
A54 #102 Balthazar 
Anchored at Keri, Zakynthos Greece

On 27 Jul 2019, at 11:37, Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:

Hello all,

<attachment 1.pdf>
<attachment 1.pdf>

TWS and TWA are mathematically calculated by the H3000 processor and the calculation requires accurate  SOW input. 

You mentioned that you have no SOW. My guess is either your Sonic Speed or Paddlewheel transducers are not working properly, or a defective H3000 processor.  

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019, 3:37 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Hello all,

Paul Brown

Thank you Bill for the help, I have recently replaced the paddle wheel and as mentioned under motor the other day the issues seemed to rectify for the rest of that journey, with accurate wind and speed through the water, so I am now suspecting an intermittent issue as a possibility also.

I will be visiting Palma Mallorca early in the week so hopefully get a good B&G technician aboard 

Kind regards Paul 

On 27 Jul 2019, at 2:54 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

TWS and TWA are mathematically calculated by the H3000 processor and the calculation requires accurate  SOW input. 

You mentioned that you have no SOW. My guess is either your Sonic Speed or Paddlewheel transducers are not working properly, or a defective H3000 processor.  

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hello all,

Paul Brown

Thank you very much Bill, I just found the issue, you lead me to the SOW being the reference for wind and the SOG was not referenced or switched on in the H3000 set up so now it’s activated alls working. I must have switched it off along the way or there’s a gremlin lurking 

Thanks to all for the community support its a great help

Kind regards Paul 55#17

On 27 Jul 2019, at 4:37 pm, Paul Brown via Groups.Io <feeder.brown@...> wrote:

Thank you Bill for the help, I have recently replaced the paddle wheel and as mentioned under motor the other day the issues seemed to rectify for the rest of that journey, with accurate wind and speed through the water, so I am now suspecting an intermittent issue as a possibility also.

I will be visiting Palma Mallorca early in the week so hopefully get a good B&G technician aboard 

Kind regards Paul 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hello all,

Paul,

You are welcome. Some things are very difficult to sort out. Also, it is difficult to diagnose via email, but I am usually luckier than wrong.😀😀

To take this a step further. There are more than a few Amel owners who have lost SOW mostly because of faulty B&G Sonic Speed Sensors. A significant number of those do nothing because they say they have SOG on GPS. Without SOW, TWA and TWS are not accurate. Because I am not a smart sailor, I wanted and used TWA and TWS all of the time. TWA and TWS can be calculated using SOG, but you have to use a black box from A&T Electronics to convert the SOG data to SOW data before it is read by the B&G processor.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 11:21 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Thank you very much Bill, I just found the issue, you lead me to the SOW being the reference for wind and the SOG was not referenced or switched on in the H3000 set up so now it’s activated alls working. I must have switched it off along the way or there’s a gremlin lurking 

Kind regards Paul 55#17

Kind regards Paul 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hello all,

Paul Brown

That’s interesting Bill, I too am not a smart sailor but want to be and learn every step of the way I hope. I will look into the black box as I am appreciating more  that all elements need to be calculated and calibrated correctly but I have relied on technicians to set things over many years but should learn to do these tests independently.

I was under the impression that SOG or STW is a reference for the wind and current but obviously there is more two it,, back to study

Thank you again for the great leads and your kind contributions and knowledge, again a great help, very appreciated 

Regards Paul 

On 27 Jul 2019, at 7:13 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Paul,

You are welcome. Some things are very difficult to sort out. Also, it is difficult to diagnose via email, but I am usually luckier than wrong.😀😀

To take this a step further. There are more than a few Amel owners who have lost SOW mostly because of faulty B&G Sonic Speed Sensors. A significant number of those do nothing because they say they have SOG on GPS. Without SOW, TWA and TWS are not accurate. Because I am not a smart sailor, I wanted and used TWA and TWS all of the time. TWA and TWS can be calculated using SOG, but you have to use a black box from A&T Electronics to convert the SOG data to SOW data before it is read by the B&G processor.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Sat, Jul 27, 2019 at 11:21 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:

Kind regards Paul 55#17

Kind regards Paul 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hello all,

Joerg Esdorn

Paul, i, too, have had a failure of the sonic speed transducer but the new one - a much revised model Airmar I’m told - has been working flawlessly for 2 years.  If you do not have a BSP reading, you should check what the source of BSP is in the Settings Menu, likely under „system“  If it is the Airmar transducer, you should switch it to the paddle wheel (which is part of the depth and sea temp transducer, which is likely a dst200) and see whether you have BSP.   If you do, replace the sonic speed.  I would contact Stéphane at Pochon for this.  He may be able to get you a new one for free because the old one had known problems, but at least he will be able to tell you which type to get.  I’m not on the boat but can give you that info in late August if you still need it.   If you don’t see BSP with the paddle wheel either, you should check the other settings. Again, I can help in late August. 

You need BSP (or better yet, the drift corrected STW) to calculate the true wind direction and speed that you are seeing on the water - ie the wind speed and direction you need to make decisions whether to tack or gybe, for example, or to calibrate your wind instruments.  You could use SOG, but then you are calculating the TWD and TWS without any current effect and since the boat is sailing in the current, this will give you wrong info.    Even in the Med, current can make a significant difference.  

Joerg Esdorn 
A55 #53
Kincsem

Paul Brown

Thanks Joerg 

I have found the issue, the SOG was not activated in the H3000 set up. All is ok now, but it will improve more once I calabrate all parameters 

Thanks Paul 

On 28 Jul 2019, at 10:19 am, Joerg Esdorn via Groups.Io <jhe1313@...> wrote:

Paul, i, too, have had a failure of the sonic speed transducer but the new one - a much revised model Airmar I’m told - has been working flawlessly for 2 years.  If you do not have a BSP reading, you should check what the source of BSP is in the Settings Menu, likely under „system“  If it is the Airmar transducer, you should switch it to the paddle wheel (which is part of the depth and sea temp transducer, which is likely a dst200) and see whether you have BSP.   If you do, replace the sonic speed.  I would contact Stéphane at Pochon for this.  He may be able to get you a new one for free because the old one had known problems, but at least he will be able to tell you which type to get.  I’m not on the boat but can give you that info in late August if you still need it.   If you don’t see BSP with the paddle wheel either, you should check the other settings. Again, I can help in late August. 

You need BSP (or better yet, the drift corrected STW) to calculate the true wind direction and speed that you are seeing on the water - ie the wind speed and direction you need to make decisions whether to tack or gybe, for example, or to calibrate your wind instruments.  You could use SOG, but then you are calculating the TWD and TWS without any current effect and since the boat is sailing in the current, this will give you wrong info.    Even in the Med, current can make a significant difference.  

Joerg Esdorn 
A55 #53
Kincsem

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

I got 2 issues with my B&G H2000:
1. The magnified Wind shows wrong values. It comes from extension processor. We replaced the instrument but still the same.

2. We stored on land for 12 month and did a refit.
When we launched the boat the boat speed through water does not show anything anymore.

Any help apreciated.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54 #39
Portugal

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] B&G issues
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
CC:

Thanks Joerg 

I have found the issue, the SOG was not activated in the H3000 set up. All is ok now, but it will improve more once I calabrate all parameters 

Thanks Paul 

Joerg Esdorn 
A55 #53
Kincsem

Paul Brown

Have you tried entering into Menu and then setup and then calibrate and the entering a source? I’d had the same issue I think and found a source was not assigned such as SOG or similar 

Regards Paul- Fortuna II 55#17

On 13 Aug 2019, at 1:23 pm, Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:

Hello,

1. The magnified Wind shows wrong values. It comes from extension processor. We replaced the instrument but still the same.

When we launched the boat the boat speed through water does not show anything anymore.

Any help apreciated.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54 #39
Portugal

CC:

Thanks Joerg 

Thanks Paul 

Joerg Esdorn 
A55 #53
Kincsem

As you may know, there are only a few values displayed on the B&G Hydra (2000-5000) that are actual. They are AWS, AWA, SOW, and Depth. All of the other values, like True Wind Angle, are calculated by the Hydra, usually using all of the actual values.

If your Speed Over Water (sonic speed or paddlewheel speed) is not working...or any of the other values, the calculated values will not be accurate.

Your issue is that the Sonic Speed is NOT working and the SOW value is not present in the calculation. You need to repair Sonic Speed, which is likely caused by sensors over 10 years old, add a B&G paddlewheel thru-hull, or something else. Check with a B&G rep for all of your options.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 7:14 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Have you tried entering into Menu and then setup and then calibrate and the entering a source? I’d had the same issue I think and found a source was not assigned such as SOG or similar 

On 13 Aug 2019, at 1:23 pm, Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:

Hello,

Any help apreciated.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54 #39
Portugal

CC:

Thanks Joerg 

Thanks Paul 

Paul, i, too, have had a failure of the sonic speed transducer but the new one - a much revised model Airmar I’m told - has been working flawlessly for 2 years.  If you do not have a BSP reading, you should check what the source of BSP is in the Settings Menu, likely under „system“  If it is the Airmar transducer, you should switch it to the paddle wheel (which is part of the depth and sea temp transducer, which is likely a dst200) and see whether you have BSP.   If you do, replace the sonic speed.  I would contact Stéphane at Pochon for this.  He may be able to get you a new one for free because the old one had known problems, but at least he will be able to tell you which type to get.  I’m not on the boat but can give you that info in late August if you still need it.   If you don’t see BSP with the paddle wheel either, you should check the other settings. Again, I can help in late August. 

You need BSP (or better yet, the drift corrected STW) to calculate the true wind direction and speed that you are seeing on the water - ie the wind speed and direction you need to make decisions whether to tack or gybe, for example, or to calibrate your wind instruments.  You could use SOG, but then you are calculating the TWD and TWS without any current effect and since the boat is sailing in the current, this will give you wrong info.    Even in the Med, current can make a significant difference.  

Joerg Esdorn 
A55 #53
Kincsem

Paul Brown

Hi Bill, my issue was similar except my paddle wheel and sensor was ok accept the parameter associated to the sow was not activated in the H300 display, this then gave me SOW and correct TW and AW

Regards Paul 55#17

On 13 Aug 2019, at 3:34 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

As you may know, there are only a few values displayed on the B&G Hydra (2000-5000) that are actual. They are AWS, AWA, SOW, and Depth. All of the other values, like True Wind Angle, are calculated by the Hydra, usually using all of the actual values.

If your Speed Over Water (sonic speed or paddlewheel speed) is not working...or any of the other values, the calculated values will not be accurate.

Your issue is that the Sonic Speed is NOT working and the SOW value is not present in the calculation. You need to repair Sonic Speed, which is likely caused by sensors over 10 years old, add a B&G paddlewheel thru-hull, or something else. Check with a B&G rep for all of your options.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hello,

Any help apreciated.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54 #39
Portugal

CC:

Thanks Joerg 

Thanks Paul 

Paul, i, too, have had a failure of the sonic speed transducer but the new one - a much revised model Airmar I’m told - has been working flawlessly for 2 years.  If you do not have a BSP reading, you should check what the source of BSP is in the Settings Menu, likely under „system“  If it is the Airmar transducer, you should switch it to the paddle wheel (which is part of the depth and sea temp transducer, which is likely a dst200) and see whether you have BSP.   If you do, replace the sonic speed.  I would contact Stéphane at Pochon for this.  He may be able to get you a new one for free because the old one had known problems, but at least he will be able to tell you which type to get.  I’m not on the boat but can give you that info in late August if you still need it.   If you don’t see BSP with the paddle wheel either, you should check the other settings. Again, I can help in late August. 

You need BSP (or better yet, the drift corrected STW) to calculate the true wind direction and speed that you are seeing on the water - ie the wind speed and direction you need to make decisions whether to tack or gybe, for example, or to calibrate your wind instruments.  You could use SOG, but then you are calculating the TWD and TWS without any current effect and since the boat is sailing in the current, this will give you wrong info.    Even in the Med, current can make a significant difference.  

Joerg Esdorn 
A55 #53
Kincsem

Paul,

Your 54 didn't come with a Paddlewheel. Probably when it was added, parameters were not set...my guess.

Your 54 came with Sonic Speed. 

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019, 8:56 AM Paul Brown <feeder.brown@...> wrote:
Hi Bill, my issue was similar except my paddle wheel and sensor was ok accept the parameter associated to the sow was not activated in the H300 display, this then gave me SOW and correct TW and AW

Regards Paul 55#17

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hello,

Any help apreciated.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54 #39
Portugal

CC:

Thanks Joerg 

Thanks Paul 

Joerg Esdorn 
A55 #53
Kincsem

Hi,

I got a sonic speed sensor and it was working before.
Magnified Wind did not work since I got the boat.

Where do I find a manual for sensor setup in Menue to verify the setup?

Hot to test a sonic speed sensor?

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54#39
Portugal

CC:

Paul,

Your 54 didn't come with a Paddlewheel. Probably when it was added, parameters were not set...my guess.

Regards Paul 55#17

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hello,

Any help apreciated.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54 #39
Portugal

CC:

Thanks Joerg 

Thanks Paul 

Joerg Esdorn 
A55 #53
Kincsem

Paul Brown

Bill, it worked fine all last season but when i commenced sailing this season the paddle wheel was not functioning due to barnacles so I replaced it and it stated STW off, then you pointed me to calibration and then I found SOG was switched off, I switched it on on STW and TW and AW all worked fine.

Regards Paul 

On 13 Aug 2019, at 4:02 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Paul,

Regards Paul 55#17

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hello,

Any help apreciated.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54 #39
Portugal

CC:

Thanks Joerg 

Thanks Paul 

Joerg Esdorn 
A55 #53
Kincsem

Paul,

Where to find the manual for this sensor setup?

Oliver A54#39

CC:

Bill, it worked fine all last season but when i commenced sailing this season the paddle wheel was not functioning due to barnacles so I replaced it and it stated STW off, then you pointed me to calibration and then I found SOG was switched off, I switched it on on STW and TW and AW all worked fine.

Regards Paul 

On 13 Aug 2019, at 4:02 pm, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Paul,

Regards Paul 55#17

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
+1(832) 380-4970

Hello,

Any help apreciated.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54 #39
Portugal

CC:

Thanks Joerg 

Thanks Paul 

Joerg Esdorn 
A55 #53
Kincsem