Topics

Beam IV : A55 # 9 rudder gland access

Stuart Hemingway

Hello Jorg,

Thank you very much for your reply with photograph.

We have the large Amel spanner but  no inspection plate...

Do we have to remove the quadrant and it’s connections to access the rudder gland ?

My earlier photo shows our set up

Stuart

Stuart Hemingway

E Studio@...

_._,_._,_

Stuart,

The last time I did this on a 55, I removed the quadrant because it was easier to do with the quadrant removed. I believe you might be able to do it without the removal, but that will depend on how your quadrant is installed and what exactly it is installed with. For instance, you have cable steering from the helm and Joerg has hydraulic steering from the helm. There is a significant difference in what is connected to the quadrant.

If it were me, I would remove the quadrant, then remove the locking plate circled in the picture below.

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar
cloudHQPowered by
cloudHQ

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 12:06 PM Stuart Hemingway <stuart@...> wrote:
Hello Jorg,

Thank you very much for your reply with photograph.

We have the large Amel spanner but  no inspection plate...

Do we have to remove the quadrant and it’s connections to access the rudder gland ?

My earlier photo shows our set up

Stuart

Stuart Hemingway

E Studio@...

eric freedman

Hi Stuart,

I do not know how your rudder stock is configured as Kimberlite is a 53.

If is like mine….

The nut on my quadrant is about 60 mm.

If I had a wrench on board that size it would not fit under the quadrant. That is why I made the wrench pictured in Bills post

about this subject. I have attached the photo again and a photo of the rudder quadrant removed.

I made the wrench out of 6 mm ¼ inch aluminum stock. I cut it out with a band saw and finished it with a grinding wheel.

I can tighten the nut at sea without removing anything except for the Stainless steel keeper that prevents the nut from moving.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

Thank you very much for your reply with photograph.

We have the large Amel spanner but  no inspection plate...

Do we have to remove the quadrant and it’s connections to access the rudder gland ?

My earlier photo shows our set up

Stuart

Stuart Hemingway

E Studio@...

Joerg Esdorn

Hi Stuart, on my boat you can turn the large nut with the Amel spanner without removing the quadrant.  The plate on my boat (circled in red) is just to lock the nut in place - it presses against one of the six flat sides of the large nut.  So to turn the nut, you have to remove that plate and reinstall it when you have turned the nut (by whole numbers of 1/6th of a turn) but you don't have to remove anything else.  But Bill is right - my boat has hydraulic steering so maybe on your boat you have to remove the quadrant.  I just don't know.  Sorry.  Good luck!

Joerg

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Mine has cable steering and I can tighten the nut without removing the quadrant.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada