Topics

Bilge pump

Alexis LETELLIER

Hi all,
a bilge pump question on SM8 as our pump has been showing signs of weakness twice in one month. It keeps on pumping but nothing comes out. I've dismounted it but nothing looked wrong or obstructed. Then it worked again for 3 weeks, then failed again. I suspect an air leak, as the pump gasket looks a bit worn. Unfortunately, the safety manual pump doesn't work either.
So, if I have to change this pump, my questions are :
- do you recommend any upgrade or any model? (this one is a 25lt/min // A:4,5 // Rpm:25 // W90 // Serv. S2 // IP22 // I.CI.B// from 2012)
- I've seen an interesting set-up in a Contest Yacht with 2 bilge pumps (in a row?), so that you still have an electric one on if the first one has problems. Have you install this kind of set-up?
- about the manual safety pump, any idea what can be the problem? (i think it has quite never been used, and it may be dry and with an air leak as as well?)
Thank you !
Regards,
Alex

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Alex,

I have had this happen twice to the auto bilge pump when the hose drained whilst in the yard for an extended stay. The resolution was to allow the hose to fill with water from the fridges by temporarily closing the seacock. Once the pump was primed as such it worked fine. I do keep a spare rubber flap for the pump but have not needed to replace it yet.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

--
Cheers
Paul

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Alex, the pump is not self priming so if the foot valve on the bottom of the suction pipe is not holding the water in column in the pipe the pump will act but not suck. If you grasp the suction pipe in the middle (having first detached any securing system) and pull it back and forth vigorously with he pump running you are likely to prime the pump and away you go. The movement up and down of the suction pipe acts like a pump forcing water up until the pump takes over. Obviously a replacement foot valve would be a longer term solution. Another thing that can cause the same effect as a leaking foot valve is a small leak in the suction pipe. Be sure all joints are well made and the pipe is in good order.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

Mangonui

New Zealand

On 31 August 2020 at 19:51 Alexis LETELLIER <alexis.letellier@...> wrote:

[...]

Arno Luijten

Hi Alexis,

If your pump is anything like the one on a A54 then the main weak-spot of this pump are the valves. These are flat flappy discs with one straight edge where it is clamped to the body. These things loose their shape and as a result becoming bad at closing off the hole the are  supposed to close off. Replacing is the best thing to do but depending on the circumstances they will loose shape at some point again.
Because of this I did add an additional bilge pump in the bilge using its own sensor that activates if the level gets about 15 cm above the level that triggers the primary pump.

Replacing the valves is not hard, just messy.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Alexis LETELLIER

Thx Paul. this said, it sounds like a different issue as my pump was working well for many days and suddenly stopped. But maybe your procedure would solve it the same way.
What do you mean filling from the fridge? You close the seacock from the outside?
cheers

Alexis LETELLIER

Thanks a lot Danny, interesting way to solve it, will keep that in mind. I just remember the hose was really hard to move and manipulate, not very flexible.

Alexis LETELLIER

Indeed Arno, this flap is not in a proper shape anymore, and is likely to create an air leak.
About your second pump, you connected the out hose to the primary one with something like a T junction? No risk to go down back to the bildge through the primary out hose/pump?
thx

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Yes that’s right, close the seacock for a while with the fridge running, so it fills the manifold. Careful not to keep it closed too long though.

Paul Dowd

Managing Director
FGPS International DWC LLC
UAE: +971 (0)567 841 061

UK: +44 (0)7710 466619

skype: pauldowd
www.fgps.com

This e-mail (including attachments) may contain sensitive and/or confidential information. If received in error, its use by you is not authorised and may be unlawful. Please notify the sender and delete all copies immediately. E-mails may be subject to error, interference and virus and no liability is accepted for loss or damage however it arises and whether direct or indirect.

Thx Paul. this said, it sounds like a different issue as my pump was working well for many days and suddenly stopped. But maybe your procedure would solve it the same way.
What do you mean filling from the fridge? You close the seacock from the outside?
cheers

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Arno Luijten

Alexis,

I'm not sure how the routing is for the SM but in the 54 the drain pipe for the primary pump goes in a curve up and then down to the central drain-hose that also connects the manual bilgepump, the drain for the fridges and the brine output of the watermaker. So I connected the drain of the second pump AFTER the curve to this drain hose using a T-piece. I've tested it and it works fine. I can even run both pumps together to evacuate the water at super-speed. The second bilgepump has a double one-way valve in the output so no water goes back via either pump.
Bill Rouse made a page in his book about this if I'm not mistaken.

Kind regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A44-121

Alexis LETELLIER

ok many thanks Arno

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

If you grab it in the middle you will find it moves enough to cause the entry to go up and down with the vigorous movement, creating a pump action.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl