Topics

Bilge pump activation switch

Thomas Kleman

As I was cleaning the terminals of my bilge pump activation switch, it disintigrated and fell into the bilge. Oops. Fortunately I had 2 spare switches with mountings so no big deal. But a question to the group. This switch is an Apem 631H with an extension mounted over the toggle for the strings which attach to the float. What exactly is that extension made of and how is it mounted (by Amel, I assume) ? It almost looks like some kind of heat shrink plastic shroud. It would be nice to have a few of these.

Thomas Kleman
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422

Thomas,

Amel made the one on SM 387 from copper tube. I could not find copper tube when I needed it, but found aluminum tube. See a snippet of a page from my Amel Book:
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 3:41 PM Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:
As I was cleaning the terminals of my bilge pump activation switch, it disintigrated and fell into the bilge. Oops. Fortunately I had 2 spare switches with mountings so no big deal. But a question to the group. This switch is an Apem 631H with an extension mounted over the toggle for the strings which attach to the float. What exactly is that extension made of and how is it mounted (by Amel, I assume) ? It almost looks like some kind of heat shrink plastic shroud. It would be nice to have a few of these.

Thomas Kleman
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422

Thomas Kleman

Once again thanks Bill. My initial research yielded some plastic toggle switch extensions (apparently popular with the motor-head crowd) but nothing durable looking. I might bring a toggle switch to Home Depot and see if I can find some kind of thin metal tubing to replicate your design.
One curiousity of my crisis last night (happy hour approaching, bilge float not working, need to use the shower).....the Amel supplied switch/mount was inexplicably slightly different in shape and orientation. I had to make new holes and rivet the replacement.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
Oahu

karkauai

I took a piece of copper tubing just big enough to fit over the switch toggle, and crimped it with a pair of pliers. I flattened the other end and drilled a hole through it to attach the float string. It has worked flawlessly for 7 years. Not pretty, but heck, it's in the bilge and it works.
Kent
SM 243
Kristy

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

rossirossix4

Edited

A related recommendation (may be helpful to others in future searches).  Our bilge pump activation switch began to fail, staying on even after the cord pulled the switch down and into the off position.  This was gradual, at first fixed by simply cycling the switch but finally just staying on.  I ordered a replacement assembly from Amel. In the meantime as a stopgap measure I shot Corrosion-X into the switch (after removing the sump tube and switch so I could work with it on the dock holding it in different positions).  I collected a great deal of black residue in paper towels and continued sprays until I had no residue.  Replacement switch came a week later but switch was working just fine so we just kept the new part as a spare.  It has now been about 5 years.  I squirt Corrosion-X into the switch periodically, including the contacts. I would encourage anyone cleaning the tube to conduct the same procedure until the residue is clear.

Bob KAIMI SM2K 429

Vice-President, Corrosion-X Consumer Advisory Council of North America
Director, Amel Institute of Low Technology

CorrosionX is a sailor's best friend! I could tell you dozens of similar stories. If you own an Amel and do not have one of these, you will spend a lot more money than those who do have one of these:
image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

A related recommendation (may be helpful to others in future searches).  Our bilge pump activation switch began to fail, staying on even after the cord pulled the switch down and into the off position.  This was gradual, at first fixed by simply cycling the switch but finally just staying on.  I ordered a replacement assembly from Amel. In the meantime as a stopgap measure I shot Corrosion-X into the switch (after removing the sump tube and switch so I could work with it on the dock holding it in different positions).  I collected a great deal of black residue in paper towels and continued sprays until I had no residue.  Replacement switch came a week later but switch was working just fine.  It has now been about 5 years.  I squirt Corrosion-X into the switch periodically, including the contacts. I would encourage anyone cleaning the tube to conduct the same procedure until the residue is clear.