Black box

Patrick McAneny

I have a Volvo TMD22a and there is a black box mounted on the front side of the engine that contains relays ,etc. The box is held in place with rubber bushings , three of my bushings have broken and all need to be replaced. Does the box need to be electrically isolated from the engine ? I have found bushings online with studs on both ends ,but I don't know if the studs go through the center and is one stud or two separate studs. It would not matter if the box does not need to be isolated .
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

karkauai

Hi Pat.  You can get any style you want at McMaster-Carr. If the bolt goes all the way through the rubber bushing, it wouldn't offer much vibration dampening.
Hi to Diane
Kent & Iris
SM 243
Still in Maine, starting our hop South.

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Bill Kinney

Pat,

Those studs are for vibration isolation. They do isolate electrically, but that is incidental. Like you we replaced ours when the old ones gave up.  The studs do not connect through.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD

Patrick McAneny

Kent , They don't state if the bolts go all the way thru , my concern is or my question is , does the box need to be electrically isolated from the engine? It has been very hot and humid for weeks ,but starting today the temps are going down,next weekend I saw the high only being 68.,so it may be safe to return. Stop and drop a hook on your return ,we would love to have you and Iris up to the house for drinks & dinner.
Thanks,
Pat & Diane
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River, Md.

Hi Pat.  You can get any style you want at McMaster-Carr. If the bolt goes all the way through the rubber bushing, it wouldn't offer much vibration dampening.
Hi to Diane
Kent & Iris
SM 243
Still in Maine, starting our hop South.

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY
SM243

Patrick McAneny

Bill, So the box does not need to be isolated ,good to know. I will then order the bushings.
Thanks,
Pat

Those studs are for vibration isolation. They do isolate electrically, but that is incidental. Like you we replaced ours when the old ones gave up.  The studs do not connect through.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD

Pat,

does the box need to be electrically isolated from the engine?

No, it does not.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 8:45 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bill, You will understand my concern about isolation after my alternator fiasco .New one installed ,no neg. leak,check one off the long list.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...