Topics

Bonding Strap

Patrick McAneny

I would like to purchase a copper strap to replace the original bonding strap. I looked in the files but could not find the original size used by Amel. Could someone provide me the width ,thickness and length of the strap.
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Mark McGovern

Edited

Pat,

I think the picture that you are looking for is in the Photos section of the forum, not the Files section.  Look in the folder called "Bonding System - Bilge Ground Strap"  and you will find the pictures that Judy Rouse uploaded years ago including the one with the dimensions.  Here is a direct link to that album:  https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/album?id=84439 

Make sure you have some long extensions and a 30mm socket to undo the top nut on the keel bolt that secure the strap. 

I made my replacement strap from a 2" wide x 1/8" thick x 48" long piece of copper.  You can get the copper at www.onlinemetals.com or www.speedymetals.com.

Mark

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Patrick McAneny

Mark, That is just what I needed ,I did not think to look in the photo section. 
Much Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

-----Original Message-----
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Jun 2, 2020 8:35 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bonding Strap

Pat,

I think the picture that you are looking for is in the Photos section of the forum, not the Files section.  Look in the folder called "Bonding System - Bilge Ground Strap"  and you will find the pictures that Judy Rouse uploaded years ago including the one with the dimensions.  Here is a direct link to that album:  https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/album?id=84439 

Make sure you have some long extensions and a 30mm socket to undo the top nut on the keel bolt that secure the strap. 

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello, 

It might be better to oversize the new strap.

A flattened 1" plumming copper pipe will do the job.

I would also install the upper end where you fix the bonding cables 10" higher so that they are less likly touched by any water. 

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54#39 
Martinique 

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020, 07:00 Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would like to purchase a copper strap to replace the original bonding strap. I looked in the files but could not find the original size used by Amel. Could someone provide me the width ,thickness and length of the strap.
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Patrick McAneny

Oliver, I found a 2" x 1./8"  X 60 " long flat copper bar at McMaster Carr for like $85 ,which should do the job nicely.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

From: Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Jun 2, 2020 9:14 am

Hello, 

I would also install the upper end where you fix the bonding cables 10" higher so that they are less likly touched by any water. 

Martinique 

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020, 07:00 Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

eric freedman

If you search back in the archives about 15 years ago there was a post of the measurements and bends of the strap. The thicker the better for that strap.
I cut off the top of the corroded strap with wires connected and soldered and bolted the top of the old strap to the new one. It has been good now for 15 years.
It is easiest to use blue tape to connect the extension bars for the socket wrench and also tape the nut of the keel bolt to the 30 mm socket.
Eric SM Kimberlite

On June 2, 2020 at 10:12 AM "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Oliver, I found a 2" x 1./8"  X 60 " long flat copper bar at McMaster Carr for like $85 ,which should do the job nicely.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Hello, 

Martinique 

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020, 07:00 Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32= aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

eric freedman

On June 2, 2020 at 11:02 AM eric <kimberlite@...> wrote:

If you search back in the archives about 15 years ago there was a post of the measurements and bends of the strap. The thicker the better for that strap.
I cut off the top of the corroded strap with wires connected and soldered and bolted the top of the old strap to the new one. It has been good now for 15 years.
It is easiest to use blue tape to connect the extension bars for the socket wrench and also tape the nut of the keel bolt to the 30 mm socket.
Eric SM Kimberlite

On June 2, 2020 at 10:12 AM "Patrick McAneny via groups.io" <sailw32@...> wrote:

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Hello, 

Martinique 

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020, 07:00 Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32= aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigans