Boom Outhaul

Randall Walker

Hello All,

I have just completed a Solo Sail from Gibraltar to Grenada. My first Solo.
Departed 7 March arrived 10 April 3930 nm there is a few extra miles due to fussy wind and just going with the flow at night. What stopped working a few things but I will only ask today about the boom outhaul, it stopped after week number 2 so for the most part I left it out about a third and made use of the mizzen and Genoa.
What is happening? mast furler works fine. when I push in or out on the BH (boom haulout) I hear a loud click at the breaker but the motor doesn't turn. So I believe up to the motor I'm OK.
I arrived on the night of the 10th all is well I decide to just sail through the night at a slow pace and enter in the morning. I awoke just before sunup to find I need to let out some more headsail. But something looks odd the bottom of the sail has sripes. So I go out to look, it is still dark and I think why is there so much polution coming from the island? Then I look at my hands and there covered in soot. I didn't think of the volcano. When I finnaly anchored I heard the news.
They have been busy down here running suppies up and people down this way.
I am glad to hear that it is messy and dirty but all are OK.

So in another quest for knowlege about other things I need to learn.
I will get back to you.

Randall
A54#56
S/V ALBEDO

Randall,

1. Outhaul Motors Gearbox A54:
I think there are a total of 3 versions of the A54 outhaul and I have no idea the hull number introduction and cut-off dates for each. The first 54s had an identical Leroy Somer outhaul like the SM. This was later changed to a motor and gearbox that was covered and then changed to a totally different motor. To further complicate helping you, at some point, Amel added thermo-switches to the circuitry of the A54 outhaul and furler motors/

1st Version (Same as a SM):
image.png
2nd Version (same as above but an on-boom cover added)
image.png

3rd Version - without cover & with cover:
image.png
image.png

2: Thermo-switches (Possibly your Issue):

image.png
image.png
The 54 has additional overheating protection added (above right - green circle), but in an emergency, can be overridden. This compartment is in the Port Forward Berth on the 54. It is behind a panel secured by Velcro and possibly an additional screw. You can locate it by listening to the clicking sound while operating the main furler and/or outhaul.

I hope this helps you sort things out.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 12:26 PM Randall Walker <sailingalbedo@...> wrote:
[...]

Courtney Gorman

Bill I have hull number 101 with version 3 One other comment the gearbox has changed since it’s initial manufacture for this version

On Apr 13, 2021, at 3:10 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that.

On Tue, Apr 13, 2021 at 2:18 PM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Randal I would say your problem is almost certainly stuck brushes in the motor. I have had the same thing on my SM several times. It is caused by an accumulation of carbon dust from wear of the brushes. The sm has a method to mechanically replace the out haul motor system.

Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

On 14 April 2021 at 05:26 Randall Walker <sailingalbedo@...> wrote:

Hello All,. An easy fix on the original SM motor which had easy access to the brushes. Some morors hae to be dismantled to access the brushes.

Regards

Danny

[...]

Ian Park

Agree with Danny! I had the boom outhaul and the Genoa motor stick when out in Antigua. Usually a couple of taps on the motor with a rubber mallet would get them working again. But removing the brush covers on the motors revealed a lot of carbon dust (don't let this get left on your deck!). Also releasing the spring and a light rub with fine wet and dry paper on the sides of the brushes ensured they moved easily in their cages. Problem solved.I
A tip I copied - tie an old umbrella upside down from your pulpit when working on the genoa motor. It makes a great catch- all!

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96 UK(Wales)

Dominique Sery

In 2017, when I bought my boat, the boom motor failed.
The engine was running and moving the empty cart but not unfurling the sail.
I took it apart and found that the yellow crown (brass? Bronze?) was completely worn out. The stainless steel worm was in perfect condition.
I couldn't find a workshop to make a custom crown, so I bought an angle gear from Amel (very expensive).
Easy enough to change by yourself.
Conclusion, be careful not to use force to unfurl the sail in a strong wind (release the sheet from the boom before tucking in the sail unfurling line to avoid wearing the crown with the worm screw)

Dominique
A54#16

Bob Grey

This is a common problem I have experienced with the outhaul rope getting salt saturated and tightening up and causing the thermal cutouts to stop the outhaul, as the rope is too tight, just loosen the rope. There is a small 4 mm rope that connects the 12 mm outhaul rope to the track car, this needs to retied.

the same problem occurs if the Vang is over tightened.

Bob Grey
Renaissance 3
Amel 55 # 25