Topics

Bow Thruster Amel 54

Doug Smith

I have spent the last couple of days trying to debug the side-power bow thruster on my boat, and the up/down 4 relay system.  My motor for up/down had a bad bearing and was blowing a fuse.  It appears to also have cooked a relay or two.

In my efforts at fixing, I redrew some of the electrical diagrams to make them a bit easier to follow, and thought it might help some of the others who have a similar problem.

Mine has the magnetic switches, instead of the pushbutton stop switches, and importantly, they are ‘normally closed’ switches, that open when the thruster is in the required position.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Deltaville, VA USA

Porter McRoberts

Doug.
Very helpful. A great addition. Thank you

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Sep 23, 2020, at 7:43 AM, Doug Smith via groups.io <dugsmith98@...> wrote:

I have spent the last couple of days trying to debug the side-power bow thruster on my boat, and the up/down 4 relay system.  My motor for up/down had a bad bearing and was blowing a fuse.  It appears to also have cooked a relay or two.

In my efforts at fixing, I redrew some of the electrical diagrams to make them a bit easier to follow, and thought it might help some of the others who have a similar problem.

Mine has the magnetic switches, instead of the pushbutton stop switches, and importantly, they are ‘normally closed’ switches, that open when the thruster is in the required position.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Deltaville, VA USA

<Bow Thruster electrical diagram.pdf>

Doug,

Thanks.

The A-54 bow thruster controls went through several changes during the production of the 54. This is great information for some 54 owners. Thanks again!

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sep 23, 2020, at 7:43 AM, Doug Smith via groups.io <dugsmith98=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I have spent the last couple of days trying to debug the side-power bow thruster on my boat, and the up/down 4 relay system.  My motor for up/down had a bad bearing and was blowing a fuse.  It appears to also have cooked a relay or two.

In my efforts at fixing, I redrew some of the electrical diagrams to make them a bit easier to follow, and thought it might help some of the others who have a similar problem.

Mine has the magnetic switches, instead of the pushbutton stop switches, and importantly, they are ‘normally closed’ switches, that open when the thruster is in the required position.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Deltaville, VA USA

<Bow Thruster electrical diagram.pdf>

Doug Smith

I wanted to add to the information available for the bow thrusters for Amel 54’s.  Mine wasn’t going up or down, and when it was down, it wasn’t going to starboard.  If you are having difficulty with your thruster or just want to understand it better, these files might help.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Deltaville, VA USA

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Doug,  - your post is great and helpful information. Thank you!

I have a question for the Group; - how can I change the seals of the Sidepower-BT?
Do I need to dismount the complete device to replace the Donut foam seals at the bottom?

Does anyone have a handbook how to proceed to change the seals including the lip-seals?

Thanks and best
Ruedi Waldispühl
WASABI A54-#55

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Doug Smith via groups.io" <dugsmith98@...>
Datum: Montag, 2. November 2020 um 19:48
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bow Thruster Amel 54

I wanted to add to the information available for the bow thrusters for Amel 54’s.  Mine wasn’t going up or down, and when it was down, it wasn’t going to starboard.  If you are having difficulty with your thruster or just want to understand it better, these files might help.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Deltaville, VA USA

Hi Rudi, yes, you need to decouple the lower unit from the motor. In my experience, this will be difficult if it has not been decoupled in a few years. It will very likely require some heavy-duty mechanical pullers. It is likely that you will need to replace the soft coupling when doing this job.

There is an Amel procedure for decoupling the SidePower Bow Truster, but it is not very complete and probably will not help much. There is a SidePower publication as well. I wrote a procedure including some photos I took, my personal experience in doing this job, SidePower's information and the Amel procedure. It is in my Amel Book. However, you should be able to do this without my book, if you use the Amel procedure: (https://amelyachtowners.groups.io/g/main/files/Bow%20Thruster%20maintenance%20A54/A54_Bowthruster%20flex%20coupling%20replacement.pdf).

If it is stuck, like I believe you will find, you will likely need the help of a machine shop and mechanical pullers.

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Doug Smith via groups.io" <dugsmith98@...>
Datum: Montag, 2. November 2020 um 19:48
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

I wanted to add to the information available for the bow thrusters for Amel 54’s.  Mine wasn’t going up or down, and when it was down, it wasn’t going to starboard.  If you are having difficulty with your thruster or just want to understand it better, these files might help.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Deltaville, VA USA

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Great as always. Thank you very much Bill.
Regards Ruedi