Bow thruster does not work in one direction

Mohammad Shirloo

Thanks to all for the quick and helpful assistance.

We did work on the Bow Thruster yesterday and it did turn out to be bad contact at the control box plug, which some CorrosionX (thank you Bill R for introducing us to CorrosionX a few years back)  and multiple plugging and unplugging, resolved, for now. Sometimes you get lucky with simply solutions.  I will have to order the control box, IPC relay, micro switches and maybe a joystick, as I believe, we may have to revisit this issues in the future.

Since we had the bow thruster cover removed, I did notice a squealing sound while the unit was being lowered and raised. It appears to be coming from the worm gear, but it is hard to tell. Has anyone  run into this and do you know if there is a way to lubricate this gearing and whether the motor for the up/down function needs maintenance?

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...>
Date: Monday, June 14, 2021 at 12:21 PM
To: "Amel group new .iso" <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

Our bow thruster stopped working on one direction. While pulling out the manuals, I would appreciate any information regarding the potential source.

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

A54 #099

<Bowthruster details SP 155 TCi.pdf>

<SP_Troubleshooting_Guide_with_IPC.pdf>

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello Thomas;

Doug informed me that he remembered seeing a post from you in this regard and Bill managed to locate and forward it. Your write up was also helpful.

Bill is great at “soaking in” the knowledge from the group, organizing and accessing it when needed. A great resource for all Amel owners.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

[...]

One method of eliminating potential sources of the problem, without any alterations or jumper installation, is to simply listen for the main solenoid activating when using the Joy Stick. If you can hear the “click” of the solenoid, when pushing the joystick to port or starboard, but the bowthruster motor does not come on, it confirms that the joystick and the control unit at the bowthruster are working and the activation signal is getting to the main relay. If the bowthruster works in one direction, then it eliminates any issues with the motor itself and only leaves the main relay as the issue.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

[...]

Update. The cleaning and service of the main solenoid was only good for a few uses. It stopped working again. I took apart again and the carbon buildup was back. I tried leveling the contacts by using a dermal abbrasive blade, but found that there was no contact left at two of the contact points. I found the Sidepower dealer in Croatia, he had two of the solenoids in stock. Installed new one 2 days later and all functioning well.

The fact that a SidePower dealer in Croatia had 2 solenoids in stock should be a sign to all SidePower owners that it is a really good thing to have one of these available to replace when the original is 8-10 years old.

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 10:54 AM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
Update. The cleaning and service of the main solenoid was only good for a few uses. It stopped working again. I took apart again and the carbon buildup was back. I tried leveling the contacts by using a dermal abbrasive blade, but found that there was no contact left at two of the contact points. I found the Sidepower dealer in Croatia, he had two of the solenoids in stock. Installed new one 2 days later and all functioning well.

Mohammad Shirloo

Agreed. Although with practice it is possible to back an Amel without a bowthruster, in tight marinas with cross wind, it is not wise. In The Med, I consider the bowthruster,  a safety item that should not be down for long.