Bow thruster does not work in one direction

Mohammad Shirloo

Thanks to all for the quick and helpful assistance.

We did work on the Bow Thruster yesterday and it did turn out to be bad contact at the control box plug, which some CorrosionX (thank you Bill R for introducing us to CorrosionX a few years back)  and multiple plugging and unplugging, resolved, for now. Sometimes you get lucky with simply solutions.  I will have to order the control box, IPC relay, micro switches and maybe a joystick, as I believe, we may have to revisit this issues in the future.

Since we had the bow thruster cover removed, I did notice a squealing sound while the unit was being lowered and raised. It appears to be coming from the worm gear, but it is hard to tell. Has anyone  run into this and do you know if there is a way to lubricate this gearing and whether the motor for the up/down function needs maintenance?

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of antonio scipioni via groups.io
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2021 11:07 AM
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bow thruster does not work in one direvtion

I had the same problem last year and Was the joystick failure in cockpit. 

Br

Antonio

Sn108 Vagabundo in rome now 

Inviato da iPhone

Il giorno 14 giu 2021, alle ore 19:08, Doug Smith via groups.io <dugsmith98@...> ha scritto:

Mohammad, I went through a similar issue last year with mine.  It ended up being the IPC relay, which I was able to diagnose using the SP_troubleshooting guide.  I also showed the steps used in my details of bow thruster details PDF.  It is picture 11,page 7.  You will use a jumper wire on the solenoid, to see where the problem is.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

White Point Marina, Kinsale VA USA

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...>
Reply-To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Monday, June 14, 2021 at 12:21 PM
To: "Amel group new .iso" <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Bow thruster does not work in one direvtion

Our bow thruster stopped working on one direction. While pulling out the manuals, I would appreciate any information regarding the potential source. 

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo 

A54 #099

<Bowthruster details SP 155 TCi.pdf>

<SP_Troubleshooting_Guide_with_IPC.pdf>

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello Thomas;

Doug informed me that he remembered seeing a post from you in this regard and Bill managed to locate and forward it. Your write up was also helpful.

Bill is great at “soaking in” the knowledge from the group, organizing and accessing it when needed. A great resource for all Amel owners.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sv Garulfo via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, July 7, 2021 11:31 AM
To: Amel Yacht owners Group <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

Hi all,

That issue happened to us 3 years ago and we reported on the solution here (06/06/18   #40108 ). 

I would suggest carrying a spare relay as it happened to us again just recently. Note that we don’t use our thruster much, I don’t know if that helped delay the reoccurrence or instead accelerated it. 

In our bow thruster, the oem relay is by Albright (sales@...) in the UK (they could only provide model SW202-317 equivalent to SW202-260 installed).

An equivalent relay is available at evdrives.com  in the USA.

Hope that will help,

Best, 

Thomas

GARULFO 

A54-122

Tahiti

On 7 Jul 2021, at 03:00, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

I am glad it worked out and thanks for the photos. I was aware that this solution worked on at least two cases, but did not have the benefit of such exacting photos.

I am thinking that the life of this relay is probably about 10 - 12 years and if an owner has one in this age range disconnection from the motor, cleaning, and inspection is probably in order.

How many hours did it take?

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 2:13 AM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Our first solution of just cleaning the control box, turned out to be a coincidental repair. The Bow Thruster did work for a few days and then stopped working in one direction again. After some research and assistance from the group, especially Doug Smith of Aventura and Bill Rouse, we narrowed down the issue to the main bowthruster relay. Yesterday we opened it up for inspection. The exterior of the relay was pristine, but found what is shown in the attached pictures. Some material has been physically transferred, from a process similar to welding, from some of the contacts in the relay, to the opposing contact in the relay. After a thorough cleaning of the buildup on th econtacts and other surfaces using wire brushers and application of CorrosionX to the springs, we have a fully operational Bowthruster. Now need to order a new one, as I don't believe we have as good a connection when the relay activates, due to the uneven surfaces of the contacts created by the arching that has been going on for a while. Thanks for all the shared knowledge.

william reynolds

The first line of checking for bow thruster problems should be the connections at the back of the control switches at the helm. There are numerous push on connectors that are prone to corrosion. Note that the water run-off from the upper helm area dumps on the port side right on to the bow thruster switches..Most of  my problems with my bow thruster were solved by removing all the push on connectors, cleaning both sides to shiny metal, reconnect and spray with T-9  or CRC  (not WD-40) . Then check for voltage coming out of each switch. There may be other problems down the line but this will eliminate problems with activation.
Bill Reynolds
Cloudstreet SM2K 331

Thanks, Mohammad. 

Many people think that my book is comprised of my first-hand experiences. It is not. About 20% of the book consists of things that I have learned from others' experiences. In fact, when Thomas first solved this issue, a notation went into my Amel Book. When Doug submitted his bow thruster PDF, it had a perfect photo to go with Thomas's description of the wires. When you posted the photo of the burned contact point, it was added to the same page allowing Thomas's original description to come alive with 2 photos.

The result is here, which I will share with everyone:
The only credit due me is that I put all 3 things together, modifying that page 2 times as more information came to light.

Bill

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 1:21 AM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hello Thomas;

Doug informed me that he remembered seeing a post from you in this regard and Bill managed to locate and forward it. Your write up was also helpful.

Bill is great at “soaking in” the knowledge from the group, organizing and accessing it when needed. A great resource for all Amel owners.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sv Garulfo via groups.io

Hi all,

That issue happened to us 3 years ago and we reported on the solution here (06/06/18   #40108 ). 

I would suggest carrying a spare relay as it happened to us again just recently. Note that we don’t use our thruster much, I don’t know if that helped delay the reoccurrence or instead accelerated it. 

In our bow thruster, the oem relay is by Albright (sales@...) in the UK (they could only provide model SW202-317 equivalent to SW202-260 installed).

Hope that will help,

Best, 

Thomas

GARULFO 

A54-122

Tahiti

I am glad it worked out and thanks for the photos. I was aware that this solution worked on at least two cases, but did not have the benefit of such exacting photos.

I am thinking that the life of this relay is probably about 10 - 12 years and if an owner has one in this age range disconnection from the motor, cleaning, and inspection is probably in order.

Bill

Our first solution of just cleaning the control box, turned out to be a coincidental repair. The Bow Thruster did work for a few days and then stopped working in one direction again. After some research and assistance from the group, especially Doug Smith of Aventura and Bill Rouse, we narrowed down the issue to the main bowthruster relay. Yesterday we opened it up for inspection. The exterior of the relay was pristine, but found what is shown in the attached pictures. Some material has been physically transferred, from a process similar to welding, from some of the contacts in the relay, to the opposing contact in the relay. After a thorough cleaning of the buildup on th econtacts and other surfaces using wire brushers and application of CorrosionX to the springs, we have a fully operational Bowthruster. Now need to order a new one, as I don't believe we have as good a connection when the relay activates, due to the uneven surfaces of the contacts created by the arching that has been going on for a while. Thanks for all the shared knowledge.

Randall Walker

Hello Mohammed, Doug, Thomas and Bill

I have just began the task of fixing my one way bow thruster, port works fine. The topic has come up many times and I had just filed the knowledge, knowing sooner or later I would need it. Well it is now later for me.
The first thing I know. This is not the first time for my 54 as I have a troubleshooting guide in with the owners manual from the previous owner. I have seen the pictures from Mohammed and the ones in the guide. My unit looked different from the one pictured disassembled, but is in fact a Sleipner/Sidepower unit made by Albright. They are similar but slightly different also I found my unit on the Vetus website.
Thanks to the legwork of group I will now remove and take apart my solenoid and hopefully I can repair and use it again. I can have one shipped into Grenada but hope this will work. I will Order one for the spares collection.

First I believed it was the relay but did more checking after the latest round of bow thruster talk. So I jumped the negative to the grey wire and the port direction was fine, but when jumping the blue nothing starboard happened.
I will take pictures of my unit disassembled. The inside should be similar. The two units below are the two deferent units my unit has 4 top studs also included is the part tag on my unit. The 3 stud unit I believe is the one in your manual and disassembled unit from Mohammed.

Randall
SV ALBEDO
A54#56
Grenada 

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 02:21 Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

Hello Thomas;

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

Hi all,

Hope that will help,

Best, 

Thomas

GARULFO 

A54-122

Tahiti

Bill

Doug Smith

Randall, If you are not getting a Starboard movement with the jumper, than the problem is Very likely in the solenoid you have pictured.  By using the jumper you are bypassing the delay circuit that is inside the control module and most of the other variables.  As Mohammad found, it is likely corrosion of the contacts inside the solenoid.  And as Bill preaches, liberal corrosion X serves as a good dielectric coating to help prevent corrosion and ensure good contacts.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

White Point Marina, Kinsale VA USA

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Randall Walker <sailingalbedo@...>
Reply-To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Friday, July 9, 2021 at 10:32 AM
To: <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Bow thruster does not work in one direction

I have just began the task of fixing my one way bow thruster, port works fine. The topic has come up many times and I had just filed the knowledge, knowing sooner or later I would need it. Well it is now later for me.

The first thing I know. This is not the first time for my 54 as I have a troubleshooting guide in with the owners manual from the previous owner. I have seen the pictures from Mohammed and the ones in the guide. My unit looked different from the one pictured disassembled, but is in fact a Sleipner/Sidepower unit made by Albright. They are similar but slightly different also I found my unit on the Vetus website.

Thanks to the legwork of group I will now remove and take apart my solenoid and hopefully I can repair and use it again. I can have one shipped into Grenada but hope this will work. I will Order one for the spares collection.

First I believed it was the relay but did more checking after the latest round of bow thruster talk. So I jumped the negative to the grey wire and the port direction was fine, but when jumping the blue nothing starboard happened.

I will take pictures of my unit disassembled. The inside should be similar. The two units below are the two deferent units my unit has 4 top studs also included is the part tag on my unit. The 3 stud unit I believe is the one in your manual and disassembled unit from Mohammed.

Randall

SV ALBEDO

A54#56

Grenada 

Hello Thomas;

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

Hi all,

Hope that will help,

Best, 

Thomas

GARULFO 

A54-122

Tahiti

Bill

Mohammad Shirloo

One method of eliminating potential sources of the problem, without any alterations or jumper installation, is to simply listen for the main solenoid activating when using the Joy Stick. If you can hear the “click” of the solenoid, when pushing the joystick to port or starboard, but the bowthruster motor does not come on, it confirms that the joystick and the control unit at the bowthruster are working and the activation signal is getting to the main relay. If the bowthruster works in one direction, then it eliminates any issues with the motor itself and only leaves the main relay as the issue.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randall Walker via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 9, 2021 7:32 AM

Randall

SV ALBEDO

A54#56

Grenada 

Hello Thomas;

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

Hi all,

Hope that will help,

Best, 

Thomas

GARULFO 

A54-122

Tahiti

Bill

Mohammad Shirloo

Update. The cleaning and service of the main solenoid was only good for a few uses. It stopped working again. I took apart again and the carbon buildup was back. I tried leveling the contacts by using a dermal abbrasive blade, but found that there was no contact left at two of the contact points. I found the Sidepower dealer in Croatia, he had two of the solenoids in stock. Installed new one 2 days later and all functioning well.

The fact that a SidePower dealer in Croatia had 2 solenoids in stock should be a sign to all SidePower owners that it is a really good thing to have one of these available to replace when the original is 8-10 years old.

Bill

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 10:54 AM Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
Update. The cleaning and service of the main solenoid was only good for a few uses. It stopped working again. I took apart again and the carbon buildup was back. I tried leveling the contacts by using a dermal abbrasive blade, but found that there was no contact left at two of the contact points. I found the Sidepower dealer in Croatia, he had two of the solenoids in stock. Installed new one 2 days later and all functioning well.

Mohammad Shirloo

Agreed. Although with practice it is possible to back an Amel without a bowthruster, in tight marinas with cross wind, it is not wise. In The Med, I consider the bowthruster,  a safety item that should not be down for long.

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of CW Bill Rouse via groups.io <brouse@...>
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 6:03:32 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

The fact that a SidePower dealer in Croatia had 2 solenoids in stock should be a sign to all SidePower owners that it is a really good thing to have one of these available to replace when the original is 8-10 years old.

Bill

Randall Walker

Well that’s not good for me as they definitely won’t have one here in Grenada. So I have my unit ready to resemble and had but one question.
The contacts, did you put any dielectric grease to aid contact. Or would that be a no no.
Mine are not as far gone as yours were?
I did learn a lot from the tear down though. Hope my rebuild will work.

Randall
A54#56
Grenada

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 12:10 Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
Agreed. Although with practice it is possible to back an Amel without a bowthruster, in tight marinas with cross wind, it is not wise. In The Med, I consider the bowthruster,  a safety item that should not be down for long.

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of CW Bill Rouse via groups.io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

Bill

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Randall;

Your solenoid is quite different than ours and the contact points on yours are larger. I’m unsure if dielectric grease would be wise without really knowing how it will behave under the conditions that these solenoids operate. If you did not observe any, when you disassembled, my inclination would be not to add any.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randall Walker via groups.io
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2021 5:46 PM

Well that’s not good for me as they definitely won’t have one here in Grenada. So I have my unit ready to resemble and had but one question.

The contacts, did you put any dielectric grease to aid contact. Or would that be a no no.

Mine are not as far gone as yours were?

I did learn a lot from the tear down though. Hope my rebuild will work.

Randall

A54#56

Grenada

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 12:10 Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of CW Bill Rouse via groups.io <brouse=gmail.com@groups.io>

Bill