Topics

Bow Thruster Issue SM 292

heinz@quetzal.berlin

There was no problem on my Super maramu 2000 I did it in May

Heinz sm2000, quetzal, 292

Am 14.12.2020 um 20:01 schrieb Chris Doucette <amaroksailing@...>:

Does anyone know if you can remove an Onan Type 7MDKAV-2317 MDKAV 7 kW 50 Hz Diesel out of a later model SM without removal of the Yanmar engine?  If you have done this would love to here your experiences. 

Thanks!
Chris

Amarok SM385

--
Hello 
Since yesterday when I tried to park in a box in a marina in Auckland my bow thruster motor failed. 
If I turn the beam to the left or right the whole power supply breaks down for a moment. After that the power is back. 
I took the rudder off and it can be turned perfectly by hand. 
But the same happens with the engine. No power for a few seconds, all instruments off, no rotation of the motor. 
Does anyone know this problem. 
Does anyone know how I can find out if it's the motor or maybe a relay that doesn't work. 
Can I test the motor without a relay, maybe on the 4 cables marked D1, D2, and A1, A2?
I am grateful for a quick answer.
Heinz SY Quetzal, SM 2000, 292

Karen Smith

Heinz,

If I understand your problem, when you run the bow thruster, your instruments shut down, and the bow thruster stops after a few seconds.

It sounds like the high power draw of the bow thruster (>480 Amps) is pulling down the voltage of the batteries to the point where the instruments shut down.  My first guess is that that problem is the batteries are weak.  

It will not completely fix the problem, but a help would be to run the generator with all battery chargers whenever you are running the bow thruster.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Matt Salatino

That’s exactly what Amel suggested we do when running the bow thruster.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Dec 14, 2020, at 10:57 PM, Karen Smith via groups.io <karenharmonie@...> wrote:

Heinz,

If I understand your problem, when you run the bow thruster, your instruments shut down, and the bow thruster stops after a few seconds.

It sounds like the high power draw of the bow thruster (>480 Amps) is pulling down the voltage of the batteries to the point where the instruments shut down.  My first guess is that that problem is the batteries are weak.  

It will not completely fix the problem, but a help would be to run the generator with all battery chargers whenever you are running the bow thruster.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Agree with Bill Kinney. The very first thing I would check is the condition and SOC of the house batteries and running the generator with a battery charger is important. At the very least the generator and battery charger will add to the available current, therefore mitigating some of the heat build-up in the bow thruster motor.

Also, I didn't receive the answers to my questions. I assume the problem is resolved.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Dec 14, 2020 at 9:57 PM Karen Smith via groups.io <karenharmonie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Heinz,

It sounds like the high power draw of the bow thruster (>480 Amps) is pulling down the voltage of the batteries to the point where the instruments shut down.  My first guess is that that problem is the batteries are weak.  

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA