BOW THRUSTER .Replacement cover does not align

PAOLO CUNEO

I am currently replacing the damaged gears of  the bow thruster (broken bearing), using the original Amel kit (incidentally,  out of stock at my normal suppliers, Amel Hyères– had to apply directly to la Rochelle).
The shop doing the job for me (I am currently  COVID bound) reports a misalignment of the holes of the replacement black plastic cap  (two align, two do not). They say they will easily solve the problem  drilling new holes in the cap as appropiate. So far as I can remember, this same issue was already reported in this forum, but I attach the photos the shop sent me as they are very clear and possibly of interest for some Amelian Fellow
For a complete reference. Whisper was build late 2004, launched and registered 2005.
Bests
Paolo Cuneo
SM 454 WHISPER

I am not sure why there have been some fitting issues with these parts, but there have been.

Whatever you do, DO NOT USE THE OLD COVER. The old cover will appear to work but will misalign the new gears.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550

On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 3:10 PM PAOLO CUNEO <pc43ge@...> wrote:
I am currently replacing the damaged gears of  the bow thruster (broken bearing), using the original Amel kit (incidentally,  out of stock at my normal suppliers, Amel Hyères– had to apply directly to la Rochelle).
The shop doing the job for me (I am currently  COVID bound) reports a misalignment of the holes of the replacement black plastic cap  (two align, two do not). They say they will easily solve the problem  drilling new holes in the cap as appropiate. So far as I can remember, this same issue was already reported in this forum, but I attach the photos the shop sent me as they are very clear and possibly of interest for some Amelian Fellow
For a complete reference. Whisper was build late 2004, launched and registered 2005.
Bests
Paolo Cuneo
SM 454 WHISPER

Bill Kinney

If you have this problem with fitment of the new cover, it is actually VERY easy to fix.  The screws do NOT thread into the cover, the only threads are in the housing.  The threads are ground off the end of the screws.  If you rotate the new back cover, you can easily drill 4 new holes that line up without a fuss.  Don't drill through the back plate, otherwise oil will leak out.  Just deep enough for the pin ends on the screws.

I'll repeat Bill R's comment. Amel changed the length of the propeller shaft, and the new shaft requires a new back cover.  Do not mix and match these!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Le Marin, Martinique

PAOLO CUNEO

Thanks Bill,
Certainly , I had already instructed the shop to use only the new parts in the kit (after all I am an attentive reader of your recommendations). With the exception of the plastic cover all the rest, according to the shop, was impeccable.
One point I forgot: some posts in the forum reported difficulties with the small steel dovel engaging the vertical shaft to the gear. I my case, the shop tells me that it was a very tight fit but, on end, a vigorous cleaning of the groove was sufficient.

Paolo Cuneo
SM 454 WHISPER

Inviato da iPad

--
Paolo Cuneo
SM 454 Whisper

PAOLO CUNEO

A late answer to Bill Kinney: unfortunately your wise recommendation (never drill through holes in the back plastic cap)  came in too late: I phoned immediately the shop but they were already beyond the no return point. However they point out that a) they reproduced exactly the drilling depth of the old cap and b) there is no trace of oil leaks - new o-ring and appropriate sealant. It is now 4 days I observe the assembly and everything seems ok, but certainly this is not a guarantee for the future.
Short: I do not know if the old cap ( and drillings) was still the original  or there has been a wrong intervention by the previous owner.
Little I can do now, only time will tell
Bests
Paolo Cuneo
SM 454 Whisper

Inviato da iPad

--
Paolo Cuneo
SM 454 Whisper

Paolo,

The reason to only use the new cover that comes with the new gears and the prop shaft is that the new cover will correctly align the prop shaft gear to the vertical shaft gear. Mixing new and old will misalign things resulting in severe damage after only about 10 minutes of operation.
image.png
image.png

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 3:26 PM PAOLO CUNEO <pc43ge@...> wrote:
[...]

This is what I did. I’ll be out on sea trials over the weekend and see what happens. Cross fingers
Bests
Paolo
SM 454 Whisper

Inviato da iPad