Topics

Bow thruster seal for SM

Hi all,

 Our bow thruster was gently losing oil. Though we rarely use it, as we like to anchor everywhere, it is 20 years old and I suspect that there is a shallow groove where the seal sits on the shaft. I have now switched from a 30mm inside diameter to a 29mm so this may do the trick.
 Neil, a mechanic in this   part of the world ( Kilada, Greece ) has pointed out that if the 29mm still leaks I should try a particular SKF seal which  ( in Europe) is only available from SKF in Scotland  and which has twin seals, the idea being that each of the two seals will sit just to the side of the groove. I will try that if the leak continues before fitting the new shaft which we have on board.

On a separate note, Neil built his own steel 42 ft boat 20 years ago. He tried to sell pre-Covid. During lockdown he had about 3 hits a day to his very detailed website. On 17th July the UK allowed flights to Greece. The hits on his website immediately went to 600 ( that's not a typo ! ) per day and he sold for the asking price, sight unseen to a guy who is now thrilled with it.

It seems that Covid might be doing wonders for boat sales.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada ( waiting to launch, but they are predicting gusts of 50+ for Friday night so....)

[...]

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Hello Ian and Judy,

I rebuilt my bow thruster twice.  The first time was in Trinidad, and the second time was in New Zealand 18 months ago.  I made a video about the bow thruster https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-xWzNfnWLw

The previous owner of Aquarius had left a spare shaft from Amel on the the boat, so in New Zealand I replaced the shaft and the seal.  Just replacing the seal with a smaller diameter inner measurement will probably not give you the proper fit.  I would have the shaft machined down to the point it's smooth and get the proper sized seal for the final measurement after the shaft is completely smooth.  I replaced mine, but one of these days I will have the old shaft machined and purchase some properly sized seals so that I have a spare shaft.  After seeing what happened to JP's boat, completely rebuilding his bow thruster in New Zealand as well.  I decided to purchase the entire gear, shaft and bearing set from Maud.  I now have this as a spare on Aquarius.  Thus, I can rebuild the bottom end of the bow thruster in an afternoon with the parts on Aquarius.  No machine shop required.

Paul also did a rebuild video of the bow thruster bottom end.  https://youtu.be/6zRPHvzMvtg
And he had the kit from Maud which he shows in the video.  And he did his at anchor.

After I replaced the shaft in New Zealand, I have had no leakage.  I am now on the hard in Thailand, and everything still looks great after 18 months and going from New Zealand to Thailand.

All the best,

Ken Powers
Aquarius SM2K #262
On the hard in Krabi Boat Lagoon

Hi Ken,,

 Thanks for the tips. Thanks also for the video which is really helpful. We do have the rebuild kit on board in case we have to fit it.
 Vamos a ver.

Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada ( launching tomorrow, winds permitting )