Topics

Bow Thruster Service

jlm@jlmertz.fr

Hi !

I had the  same problem ... You need a lot of patience, mutch WD40 and patience, do not forcing, do not break the threads, the contact is bronze on stainless  ...

I needed 2 days ...

good luck

JLM

CottonBay

Hold time 2 or 3 days with WD40, WD40 and much

Le 28/08/2019 à 18:35, Bernd Spanner a écrit :
Hello,
I wanted to change the seal on the bow thruster today.
Unforunately after removing the 4 screws I could not get the shaft disconnected. It’s badly rusted all over. Any ideas how I can loosen it?? Already used some wd40 & caramba to get it loose.... no success
Pics attached
Best regards,
Bernd
SN 119 / Cascais, Portugal

Garanti sans virus. www.avast.com

Matt Salatino

A little heat?

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 28, 2019, at 9:44 AM, "jlm@..." <jlm@...> wrote:

[...]

Bernd,

You should be very, very careful with heat because the Bow Thruster Tube and case is made of GRP, not metal.

The contact point is Cast Iron to the GRP tube. The problem is a result of NOT replacing the lip-seal and foam donuts, and possibly leaving the bow thruster down while sailing or motoring. Saltwater has passed through the seals and has caused corrosion on the electric motor base which is made of Cast Iron. This corrosion (Iron Oxidation) has reduced the size of the opening for the tube at the base of the motor. Your photos show that this has been more than a little saltwater over a long time, possibly months/years. It is going to be very difficult to separate the tube from the motor base. You will need the tool designed by Amel, plenty of penetrating fluid and 3-4 days of constant pressure to cause separation. You can use some light tapping or vibration on the cast iron motor base intermittently while constant pressure is applied with the special tool. But take care not to strile the base too hard because it is made of cast iron.

image.png
I recommend that you closely check the lower bearing on the electric motor because I suspect it is also damaged.

In the future, replace the seals every 2 years...also replace the 0.3 liters of 80/90 Gear Oil when you replace the seals. Always use plenty of waterproof grease at the contact points of the tube and motor base.

This is the normal materials needed for service every 2 years (contact SAV"at"Amel.fr):
image.png
You will certainly get other advice, but I firmly believe that you will not get better advice.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 12:03 PM Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bill,
Would a heatgun provide enoughheat without affecting the FRP?

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 28, 2019, at 10:21 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

It depends on how much heat is applied and you can certainly damage GRP with a heat gun. This is the reason I would never say to carefully use a heat gun, nor would I say enough heat.  "Carefully" or "enough" are non-specific. For instance, enough heat to separate, might be enough heat to damage GRP.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 1:33 PM Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Good to know

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 28, 2019, at 11:45 AM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

This thread has nothing to do with the BT on your Amel 50. It is completely different and you will not have the issue being discussed here. This issue can happen on a SN or SM.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 1:53 PM Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mike Ondra

Here’s another twist on bow thruster service.

We services ours yesterday, on the hard, so no extra complications from doing it in the water. Last service less than a year ago was in the water, and we were not confident that the reinstall was completely waterproof. Indeed, it was not, and we had our share of oil and cream.

Anyway after removing the 4 bolts that hold the GRP shaft, the motor housing spun freely on the GRP, but the thruster would not drop. We surmised that the splined connection between the motor shaft and thruster drive shaft had seized. No amount of tugging from below would move it. Ultimately we lowered the bow thruster and from below lifted it a few inches and “bumped” it with a short drop, well maybe a little bit more than a short drop to get results.

Anyway, the lesson is to lubricate the splined connection when reassembling the bow thruster to prevent seizing. We used Molykote.

Mike & Tom

ALETES SM#240

Chesapeake Bay

It depends on how much heat is applied and you can certainly damage GRP with a heat gun. This is the reason I would never say to carefully use a heat gun, nor would I say enough heat.  "Carefully" or "enough" are non-specific. For instance, enough heat to separate, might be enough heat to damage GRP.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse

720 Winnie St

Galveston Island, TX 77550

+1(832) 380-4970

Image removed by sender.

[...]

James Alton

Bill is right about being careful in heating grp.  Grp can delaminate/crack and thereby destroying the strength of the material if too much heat is applied.  I used to build GRP stack sampling equipment that could barely handle 350F..not much.

James
SV Sueno
Budva,  Montenegro

Sent from Samsung tablet.

[...]

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Bill

only on SN & SM? ...not on A-54? Different as well I guess?
Haven't serviced BT on my 54 yet.

Best regards
 Ruedi
WASABI A-54-#55

On 28 Aug 2019, at 21:20, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Ruedi,

This thread was started by an owner of a Santorin. The Santorin and Super Maramu Bow Thrusters are very similar and made by Amel. The Bow Thruster on the 54 and 55 are very different and made by SidePower. The 50 Bow Thruster is smaller than the 54 and probably from SidePower, but I do not know for sure.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 3:21 PM Rudolf Waldispuehl <Rudolf@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks,
What a relief!

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 28, 2019, at 12:20 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

There is lots to learn. Because Amels last so long and because we have over 1,000 members, you will see lots of things that do not apply to the Amel 50...she is the new little sister.

Please continue reading the posts and continue participating.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 4:36 PM Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Thx, Bill, I read them all!

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Aug 28, 2019, at 4:03 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

if the 4 bolts that hold the bow thruster are out it should be easy,

Drive the bow thruster simply go down, then from the outside of the boat rotate the bow thruster, possibly by a movement rotation back and forth. Always sweet ...

JL Mertz

CottonBay

Le 28/08/2019 à 20:33, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io a écrit :
[...]

JL Mertz, CottonBay:

Yes, it should be "easy."

There are 4 Allen head bolts on most SN & SMs, but in later model SMs, 2 bolts. It is always easy if the bow thruster is serviced correctly, with seal replacement when needed, and never left DOWN while sailing.

But, if you don't follow the above, you'll be lucky if it's easy.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.YachtSchool.us
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019, 12:35 AM jlm@... <jlm@...> wrote:

[...]

Bernd, removed the 4 screws I so it is easy !
Best regards,

CottonBay

JLM

Le 29/08/2019 à 14:46, CW Bill Rouse a écrit :

[...]

JLM,

Yes, it usually is easy, but not, if it is operated incorrectly and/or NOT maintained.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 9:37 AM jlm@... <jlm@...> wrote:

[...]

Peter Buckley

Hi All,

I had an issue with the bow thruster on my Mango. I made a jacking block similar to the Amel one and tried in vain to move it. The yacht was in the water so trying to rotate from the water was difficult. I tried everything until I spent $70+ Aust on a product called Yield. I had tried every other product with no luck. 4 squirts of Yield and they released from each other. Great product……

Try that if you can source it where you are.

Regards

Peter

--
Peter Buckley

83 Twelfth Avenue
Raymond Island VIC 3880

Phone: 0428 427 786

Email: carhartt@...

From: CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 07:46:50 -0500
To: <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

[...]

And you need at least 4 liters of patience.😀

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550