Bow Thruster Travel Sensors H, B, and SP

Paul Stascavage

I am having an issue with the Bow Thruster (BT).

The other day when bringing the BT up, the buzzer did not sound however it was all the way up - in fact, it was up too much which strained the motor and caused the 10 A fuse in the control box to blow.

The BT would lower with the blown fuse, but not raise or retract.

After figuring out that it was just the fuse, I installed a new one and attempted to adjust the cable to obtain the correct height.  However, it appears that adjustment is not the issue but rather that the sensors are the problem as regardless of how much cable slack I provide, the unit attempts to raise too high

Additionally, I’m pretty sure that the other day all three sensors were lighting when moving the BT (SP & H up; SP & B down) although now only B lights when lowering the BT.

I have read all that I can in previous threads and in the Amel School book and I have looked at Duane’s wiring diagram (I can install light bulbs but not read wiring diagrams), but don’t know how to proceed.  I would like to know how to identify if the sensors are indeed bad or if they are not receiving power from the control box.  Reading about how difficult it can be to get the sensors properly positioned, I would prefer to test them in place and assume there is a way to do this by testing from the control box or at the helm station with a voltmeter.

I have attached Duane’s wiring diagram for reference and would appreciate any and all responses from those in the know.

Thank you in advance for any and all replies.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Currently Exploring Norfolk, VA

www.RitaKathryn.com

I have what you need.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 2:31 PM Paul Stascavage via groups.io <pstas2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I read that one Bill and although is is going to be extremely helpful when I get to the adjustment phase, it doesn't help me to determine if my problem with the SP & H sensors not illuminating and H not functioning is due to not receiving power or being defective.  I would like to know a way to test if the sensors are getting power by testing at the control box or at the helm wiring.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Currently Exploring Norfolk, VA

www.RitaKathryn.com

Paul,

You should speak to Mark McGovern (CC'd). As you know when Amel stopped supplying the PCB for the bow thruster Mark made some for Amel owners. Mark is intimately familiar with the PCB operation.

Also, did you notice that there was a link to a video done by Mark on the page that I posted? If not here is a direct link to it. https://www.dropbox.com/s/yrrv3ixn2rxsd2l/Bowthruster%20and%20Sensors.mp4?dl=0

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 3:59 PM Paul Stascavage via groups.io <pstas2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I read that one Bill and although is is going to be extremely helpful when I get to the adjustment phase, it doesn't help me to determine if my problem with the SP & H sensors not illuminating and H not functioning is due to not receiving power or being defective.  I would like to know a way to test if the sensors are getting power by testing at the control box or at the helm wiring.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Currently Exploring Norfolk, VA

www.RitaKathryn.com

Alan Grayson

Hi Paul, you can swap the sensors around but you have to open the control box and reposition the wires so they read correctly. I found that with a person at the helm and myself at the bow thruster we could slowly raise by activating the switch then putting the switch back at neutral thereby stopping movement. So if you switch the sensors around you can actually position the sensor halfway down the tube and select up and it should stop when it reaches the sensor.
Does that make sense.
Regards
Alan Grayson
SV Ora Pai
Ft Lauderdale

[...]

Thanks Bill.  I have spoken to Mark and he thinks it is the PC Board.  He is going to make one up for me.

Alan - nice to hear from you.  I do understand what you are saying, but 2 of my sensors are suspect so I didn’t see any benefit to swapping them around.  After reading your post, I traced the sensor wires to their respective pots and could test to see if voltage is present, but after talking to Mark I think I’m going to wait until I get the new board from him.  The unit is functional at the moment - it goes up and down.  We just have to turn off the up switch before it gets too high and pull the cables for the last bit for pinning.

I spoke to Duane Siegfri formally on Wanderer, and he seems to think it is our sensors, so I will order a couple of those from Maud unless someone knows a source here in the States?

Thank you Bill and Alan for your help.  I will follow up with my findings once I get my hands on the parts.

All the best,

Paul Stascavage
SM #466 - s/v Rita Kathryn
Currently Exploring Norfolk, VA

www.RitaKathryn.com

Mark McGovern

Paul,

The sensors can be found here:

TSII INC
https://tsii-connectors.com/
Tom Shook
tsiiinc@...

The part number is FFV-807A6X
I paid $30 for each a few years ago.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Mark ordered them here:
New Bow Thruster Sensors
Part: FFV-807A6X or
FFV-810C6X for a 54 from TSII
(https://tsii-connectors.com/)
Contact Thomas Shook
<tsiiinc@...>

Or, order from Amel:

On Wed, Oct 27, 2021, 5:27 PM Paul Stascavage via groups.io <pstas2003=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Mohammad Shirloo

Since we are on the subject of Bowthrusters, I would like to buy all necessary switch and sensor spares for our A54. Can someone please provide source and part numbers for purchase in the U.S.?

We did manage to purchase the main relay and one as spare while in Croatia. Any other bowthruster parts that are good to carry as spares?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

[...]