Bowrhruster gear pil or grease?

Paul Osterberg

I'm serviceing/ repairing my bowrhruster. Remember a post a few years ago some one used grease instead of oil. Anyone have any experience using grease instead of oil? pros and cons? I notice that oil drops out from the lipseal when on the hard even with a new lipseal. Have now a new shaft the surface was a bit rough so smooth it with 2000 grit.
Paul on sykerpa SM 259 Lagos

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Paul,

We have not used grease in the bowthruster, but we changed the lip seal to 29x42x7 from the original 30x42x7 which is what Amel have recommended. This change has prevented any leaking whilst on the hard and also hopefully preventing salt water seeping into the oil when submerged.

Kind regards
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 3:07 pm, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

I'm serviceing/ repairing my bowrhruster. Remember a post a few years ago some one used grease instead of oil. Anyone have any experience using grease instead of oil? pros and cons? I notice that oil drops out from the lipseal when on the hard even with a new lipseal. Have now a new shaft the surface was a bit rough so smooth it with 2000 grit.
Paul on sykerpa SM 259 Lagos

Aktan Temiz

Hello Ross and Donna,
I saw from your email that you are currently in Turkey. I live in Izmir at the west side of Turkey. My wife and I will start to live in our boat (SM2K #469) from the beginning of July 2021. Our boat is waiting for us at Port Napoleon / South France. We bought her at the beginning of 2021 but couldn't see her till now because of pandemi. Most probably we can transfer her in May.
I just want you to know that if you need any help in Turkey for any purpose please do not hesitate to contact me.
Where are you located now? Do you need anything?
Hope to see you around...
Best regards,
Aktan

--
Aktan TEMiZ
+90 532 296 5599

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond via groups.io <southernadventurer=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io>, 19 Şub 2021 Cum, 15:34 tarihinde şunu yazdı:

Hi Paul,

We have not used grease in the bowthruster, but we changed the lip seal to 29x42x7 from the original 30x42x7 which is what Amel have recommended. This change has prevented any leaking whilst on the hard and also hopefully preventing salt water seeping into the oil when submerged.

Kind regards
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently in Turkey

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 3:07 pm, Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

I'm serviceing/ repairing my bowrhruster. Remember a post a few years ago some one used grease instead of oil. Anyone have any experience using grease instead of oil? pros and cons? I notice that oil drops out from the lipseal when on the hard even with a new lipseal. Have now a new shaft the surface was a bit rough so smooth it with 2000 grit.
Paul on sykerpa SM 259 Lagos

--
Aktan TEMiZ
+90 532 296 5599
aktantemiz@...

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Aktan,

Please find attached our personal email address as we would love to stay make contact:
southernadventurer@...

Kind regards

On Friday, February 19, 2021, 5:11 pm, Aktan Temiz <aktantemiz@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Kinney

Paul,

Grease is NOT appropriate for the bow thruster.  This is a high speed gear train and needs an oil bath.

Having oil leak while just sitting on the hard means the lip seal is bad--actually VERY bad. It is impossible to say from afar what can be wrong.  Being sure you have the right size is, of course, first.  Being sure it is installed straight, and even, is next.  If you are sure those are correct, the problem is likely the sealing surfaces themselves.

The shaft sealing surface does eventually wear, and needs renewing.  Any roughness, scratch, or groove deep enough to feel with your fingernail is too much. I have had excellent results using a Speedi Sleeve on this surface when it has worn enough to be an issue.

On the outside rim of the seal, where it seals on the housing, that surface can easily be scratched or gouged during the removal of the lip seal.  If there are ANY scratches there, they need to be fixed.  Sometimes this can be patched in the short run by installing the seal with a coating of RTV, but if it is damaged, it is really a machine shop job to build the surface up and machine it smooth again to the correct dimensions.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA

Paul,

I completely agree with Bill Kinney. You will find a few people who have used grease without any issue. Remember, a few successful changes or modifications prove nothing. The bow thruster design requires gear oil.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Fri, Feb 19, 2021, 11:44 AM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Paul,

I use a mix of gear oil and grease that has overcome the propensity for the lubricant to leak out at the lip seal on the bow thruster propeller shaft. The mix has to be liquid enough to work its way to the bottom. I insert it with a plastic tube thin enough to fix down beside the driveshaft attached to a squeeze bottle. Has served me well for 10 years.

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 20 February 2021 at 01:07 Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

I'm serviceing/ repairing my bowrhruster. Remember a post a few years ago some one used grease instead of oil. Anyone have any experience using grease instead of oil? pros and cons? I notice that oil drops out from the lipseal when on the hard even with a new lipseal. Have now a new shaft the surface was a bit rough so smooth it with 2000 grit.
Paul on sykerpa SM 259 Lagos

Paul Osterberg

Bill K thank you!
I have new gears, new shaft and a new lip seal, all from Amel, and it leak badly,  the new shaft surface was rather rough, I have now smooth it with 2000 grit paper, hope that will improve situation. I will install with a new lip Seal and gear oil and see how it work, else I might try Dannys on Ocean Pearl way on doing it

Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...>

Llike Paul, I used a mix as well.  I put some waterproof lithium grease on the gears then filled it with the proper amount of Gear Oil.

It is very important that the part of the shaft that touches the lip seal be as smooth as possible.  If there is a slight abrasive spot on the shaft it send the lip seal to an early grave.  If there is a nick in the shaft, like I had a few years ago, the oil will drain out within a few months.  If this happens to you, your gears will probably be OK, but the bearings will rust out.  When this happens, you won't notice anything until you try to 1) remove the lower end of the bow thruster and find it is completely rusted to the the motor, or 2) you try to use the bow thruster and it blows out everything.  I was lucky I found the problem when I did.  The bearing were just about frozen.  A few more months in the water and I would have had a $2000 to $3000 problem.  Lucky!

I take Aquarius out of the water every years, and when I do I remove the lower end of the bow thruster and check the fluid.   This is one of the reasons why I didn't put Copper Coat on Aquarius.  I plan to Take Aquarius out of the water every year to check the bottom carefully.

Most of you have seen it, but this video shows what it looks like when your seal quits sealing!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-xWzNfnWLw&t=466s

Ken Powers
Aquarius SM2K#262

eric freedman

Paul,

Did you pack the back of the lip seal with grease and install it with the edge covered in silicone sealant, with a lithe over the front edge of the seal?

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376