Has anyone been able to source a bowthruster replacement motor? I have a service kit though thinking it could be prudent to carry a spare motor.

Bryce Procter
SV Seamaster ll

Eric Freedman

HI Bryce,

What parts are included in your bowthruster service kit?

I have a spare motor after being hit by lightning years ago. I had it rewound and rebuilt. At the time it was available from Amel as well as the motor jack. It is a beast and I have it stored offshore. Except for keeping the lower bearing of the motor heavily greased  and dropping the motor once a year just enough to grease the spline. I think the motor will live forever.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

Bryce,

I have tried to find the AR-TF-15 Leroy Somer Bow Thruster 24v Motor. It is no longer produced. At some point in time, we will need to find a substitute. That time is probably now! Possibly, either Amel or one of us will figure out how to marry the SidePower Motor and Upper Unit to the Amel-made SM lower unit. Or, we will find another DC motor that we can marry to the lower unit.

Here is the information I have. You will see Jeff Warfield Electric mentioned. He had 1 or 2 of these motors. He no longer does. He has one SM owner's motor which he is completely rebuilding. That motor could not be repaired by several other shops, and I think this guy may be the best source for rebuilding an electric motor, especially if it needs more than just rewinding.
Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550