Topics

Bowthruster motor switch

Peter Tiner

Hi

We need to put in a new bow thruster motor (Sleipner). We had a Sleipner technician looking at it and sent us a new motor. So far everything looked alright but when our technician loosened the motor and lifted it, the driveshaft came along a bit, maybe 20cm. Now he can’t get it back.

We believe the original Sleipner shaft is lengthened  just above the gearbox with a keyway (proper English word?) and now the key is somehow disorientated

Has anyone had this problem or tried switching motor without getting out of water?

\Peter sy Maiken A54 #52

Scott SV Tengah

I replaced my motor. Yes, you need to grind down the shaft a bit - not sure about 20cm though...

Also, the replacement is a newer model and they moved the solenoids to the forward (relative to your boat) side of the motor. We needed to trim the bow locker floor and also move the stairs forward. Not sure if you have the same problem?
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Peter Tiner

New Bowthruster motor
So, finally we managed to get the bowthruster apart. And for all, finding out why we couldn’t get the driveshaft down to it’s original position, ie some 20 mm lower.

We had a big issue with getting the flange loose from the driveshaft, finally we used a puller and the key was to put pressure on to the bearing and not to the driveshaft itself.

Once the flange was gone we could get the gearbox housing apart and could see why we couldn’t get the driveshaft all the way down to it’s original position.

As expected the sleeve with keyway had moved and the keys were not in place.

Hope this can help someone.

I´m attaching some pics and if someone is interested I have more.

\Peter sy Maiken A54 #52

I believe you had to do what we did when we ran into this problem.

Did you use a piece of pipe to put pressure on with the puller to press the shaft tube out of the bottom motor plate mount?

Pipe circled in green between puller and thruster tube:
image.png

Where to place pipe to use a puller to press the bow thruster shaft tube out of the bottom motor mounting plate:
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 6:06 PM Peter Tiner <peter.tiner@...> wrote:

New Bowthruster motor
So, finally we managed to get the bowthruster apart. And for all, finding out why we couldn’t get the driveshaft down to it’s original position, ie some 20 mm lower.

We had a big issue with getting the flange loose from the driveshaft, finally we used a puller and the key was to put pressure on to the bearing and not to the driveshaft itself.

Once the flange was gone we could get the gearbox housing apart and could see why we couldn’t get the driveshaft all the way down to it’s original position.

As expected the sleeve with keyway had moved and the keys were not in place.

Hope this can help someone.

I´m attaching some pics and if someone is interested I have more.

\Peter sy Maiken A54 #52

Peter Tiner

Yes you are right we did use a thick-walled pipe to put pressure onto the pipe instead of the driveshaft. Think the pipe wall thickness was something like 3mm.

Attaching pics again as I think they came in ios-format.

\Peter sy Maiken A54 #52

Peter Tiner

Thanks for your reply Scott.

Think our problem was slightly different, maybe we got hold of an older version spare part.

Thanks anyway for your info

\Peter sy Maiken A54 #52