Topics

Bowthruster works only one way

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Hi all,

After coming back to our boat having left it unused for 6 months I fin that the bowthruster works to port but not to starboard. I’ve had a look at the terminals and can’t see anything obvious. Any suggestions as to where to look would be most welcome.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul

Ian

Paul
Not the bow thruster but I did have failure in one direction only of the furling motors while in the Caribbean. Both times it was the contacts on the switches which needed cleaning up. Worth a check.

Best wishes

Ian

‘Ocean Hobo’ SN96

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Paul,

For starters:

I would check the connections at the lever by the helm to make sure they are good. It could be a poor contact there.

Then with one person at the helm control and another in the forward locker check the switches. You can should hear a click when thrusting and figure out which one is which.

I had an intermittent fault with the up down control. Turned out to be one of the four relay switches. Sometimes it was good sometimes not. Replaced it, and no problems since.

Nick

S/Y Amelia AML 54
Kilada Greece

On 28 Nov 2019, at 18:24, Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:

Paul
Not the bow thruster but I did have failure in one direction only of the furling motors while in the Caribbean. Both times it was the contacts on the switches which needed cleaning up. Worth a check.

Best wishes

Ian

‘Ocean Hobo’ SN96

Mark & Debbie Mueller

I am assuming that the bow thruster extends and retracts OK.  We had a similar problem that turned out to be the solenoid pack mounted on the side of the bow thruster motor.  It had corroded and would operate in only on direction.  I have attached the trouble shooting guide from Side Power.  Some have rebuilt the solenoid(s) - I was not able to and replaced the solenoid pack.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Mark,

That’s a useful document as it looks like it tells me exactly how to troubleshoot my problem. However, before I got a chance to use it properly the problem disappeared which, fortunate as it may seem, is also unfortunate in that I now don’t know the cause was!

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

I am assuming that the bow thruster extends and retracts OK.  We had a similar problem that turned out to be the solenoid pack mounted on the side of the bow thruster motor.  It had corroded and would operate in only on direction.  I have attached the trouble shooting guide from Side Power.  Some have rebuilt the solenoid(s) - I was not able to and replaced the solenoid pack.
--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Peter Forbes

Hi Mark,

Could you send me that trouble shooting guide to A 54 bowthruster - I have never really understood properly how it functions with the relays?

Peter Forbes
The Old Rectory
Farnham
Blandford