Topics

Bulkhead Thickness & Screw length

Richie Whyte

Hi Folks,

I’m a recent SM purchaser and as part of my boat registration procedure I need to attach a stainless steel plate (10cm x15cm) etched with the registration details to the bulkhead under the mast. On a Super Maramu - sight unseen I’m figuring the best location for ease of access and minimal visual impact is above the door from the front cabin to the saloon - on the front cabin side.

I can't access the boat at the moment to take measurements as she is in Greece and I'm in Ireland (coronavirus..no flights) but I have a local who is willing to attach the plate for me if I send him all the parts & fixings.

I have a simple question but I would really appreciate an answer.

What length stainless steel wood screws should I use to attach the 1mm thick plate securely without causing damage from bulging/poking through the bulkhead?

Kind regards

R.

Richie Whyte

Why Knot

SM2K#261

eric freedman

Hi,

In what country is the boat being registered?

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Hi Eric
She is being registered in Ireland. She was previously registered in the UK but with the UK leaving the EU we wanted to protect her EU VAT paid status and we couldn't get a straight answer from anyone so it made sense to move the registration.

Richie

Richie Whyte
Why Knot
SM2K#261

Ryan Meador

Hi Richie,

The location you selected would not be my first choice, as (at least on our boat) that side of the bulkhead is covered in the same vinyl material as the headliner.  No doubt you could drill through it, but it makes more sense to me to mount it directly to wood.  If you want to go ahead with this plan, that bulkhead appears to be about 25mm thick.
IMG_20200514_094644.jpg
There's a large wooden beam directly under the mainmast, which I assume hides the compression post.  It's 17 cm wide, with a bit of a radius at the corner.  A 15 cm plate might just fit on the flat part.  I'd see if you can put it there, tucked up close to the bottom of the electrical panel (to the right of our fire extinguisher in the photo).  I can't hazard a guess as to how thick the wood is.

Another likely spot is forward of the head door, directly under the hatch.  That bulkhead is about 15 mm thick.
IMG_20200514_094701.jpg

Yet another option might be the shelf above the forward hanging locker.  It's pretty far outboard, so I'm not sure if it meets the requirement of "directly under the mast".  There's enough space for the plate in between the two doors on our boat.  If you want to hide it behind the door to the saloon, it will fit there too.  The front face of the shelf is about 18 mm thick.
IMG_20200514_095542.jpg

I hope this is helpful, and I also hope the dimensions on your boat are the same as ours.  This was a fun little diversion while I'm on conference calls.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Boston, MA, USA

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 6:04 AM Richie Whyte <richiewhyte@...> wrote:
Hi Eric
She is being registered in Ireland. She was previously registered in the UK but with the UK leaving the EU we wanted to protect her EU VAT paid status and we couldn't get a straight answer from anyone so it made sense to move the registration.

Richie

Richie Whyte
Why Knot
SM2K#261

Brent Cameron

Hello Richie. Congratulations on your new Super Maramu (Why Knot, formerly Guma) and welcome to the Amel Owner’s group!  There is an Amel Owner’s Registry used by owners to contact each other. It is only found from within the Amel Owner’s Forum and we don’t post links to it outside of that - it is really only used so that owners can contact each other and owners can decide how much information (or if at all) they would like published in it. For your convenience, I have attached the link to the Registry (https://tinyurl.com/AmelRegistry) and the update form (https://tinyurl.com/AmelRegistryUpdate).   If you would like your new boat on this list, use the later link and I will add it according to your preferences. Thanks and welcome to the Registry!

Brent

--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

Trevor Lusty

Hi Richie,
               Fair winds with your new boat. I registered my SM in Drogheda, they happily accepted the plate screwed onto the wooden frame beneath the floor locker.
Be aware that Irish registration of a foreign flagged vessel lying overseas is a very complex process and difficult to achieve ,as the department of the marine require a survey from someone nominated on their list, most of whom will have no interest in travelling anywhere as there isn't enough money in it for them.
You can get her registered in Ireland if one of the official  ports of entry will accept her on their list providing you give them proof that she actually exists, is VAT paid and you own the majority of the 64 shares.
It took me nine months back in 2007 and lots of patience and time.
If I can help you at all ping me  @ gmail.
Good luck.
Trevor Lusty
Former owner
Seafever of Cuan
SM425
Cork
Ireland

eric freedman

Hi Richie,

Amel mounted my registration in the back of the hanging locker against the hull.

I don’t know if that is legal in Ireland.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376