Topics

BVI Fines for sailing I n BVI waters

karkauai

I have just learned of at least two cruising boats who were sttraying through BVI waters (with no intention of landing) who were stopped by BVI coast guard boats, escorted to a BVI port, and held in quarantine while charges were filed and $20,000 fines levied.  These boats were apparently detained until payment made. All in response to Covid laws prohibiting foreign vessels from entering.

I have written to the BVI to express my disgust at their draconian treatment of these people, the life's blood of the BVI.  I will not sail ir visit there again until and unless they apologize to those individuals and cruisers in general, the fines are rescinded, and their policy softened to allow for a simple warning for the first offense.

If you feel the same, I recommend that you let them know as well.

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

eric freedman

Hi Kent,

Would you please send me a copy of your letter and to whom it was addressed.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Matt Salatino

Do you have an address? I’ll happily send the same sentiment. One of those boats is a close friend of mine.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Dec 1, 2020, at 4:22 PM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Arno Luijten

They should report it to Noonsite.com, let the world know what scam they are running over there.

Arno Luijten,
SV Luna
A54-121

Miles

HI Kent,

I would also like to send a letter.  This is outrageous.  Please send the details to me also.

Regards,

Miles

S/y Ladybug  Sm 216

Justin Maguire

Ditto on sharing - I’d like to send as well.

[...]

James Watkins

I would like the address also.

Thanks

Jim Watkins

Act II Maramu 185

[...]

Jarek Zemlo

Hi

please send address. I fully support this action and think it is a good idea to inform www.noonsite.com
Jarek Zemlo
NOA BLUE

karkauai

Here is the letter I sent to 9nfo at bvitourism dot com

I am a long time sailor and cruiser who has been to the BVI many times over the last 40 years, both as a charter boat bareboat cruiser and on my own boat. I have spent my vacation money there on charter boat rentals, marinas, boat repairs, supplies, restaurants, auto rentals, taxis, tours... I am compelled to write to you regarding BVI's draconian treatment of sailors straying into BVI waters.  I have spoken to several sailing friends who feel the same.

Until I hear that the BVI has apologized to cruisers in general and those treated so rudely specifically, charges have been dropped, and rules softened to include warning only for first offense of sailing in BVI waters, I will no longer be visiting your country or supporting your economy. I understand your concerns about Corona SARs 2 virus, but that doesn't excuse treating your life's blood so poorly. You are the dog biting the hand that feeds it.

Sincerely,
Kent Robertson
SV Kristy
USCG Certificate 1073851
karkauai@...
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

karkauai

Oops

Info at bvitourism dot com
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Courtney Gorman

Nice letter
Cheers 🍻

On Dec 2, 2020, at 11:55 AM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

Oops

Info at bvitourism dot com
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Matt Salatino

Thanks for the letter and contact (I figured out “info”).
I sent my own version and also posted it on a US sailing and cruising FB page.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Dec 2, 2020, at 11:54 AM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

Thomas Peacock

I was curious about this incident, and wanted more details. It now seems that they have pled guilty, and each has been fined US $1,000. Still not pretty, but better than $20,000. Here’s the story.

It was reminiscent for me of April of this year during the height of the pandemic. We decided to leave the Caribbean, and make for home waters (USA). I procedured a slip in a marina in San Juan, Puerto Rico. However, our sailing time wold have gotten us into San Juan at night, so we anchored in the harbor of Culebra, and pushed onto San Juan in the morning. The marina insisted that we go through US Customs and Border Patrol, which we were able to do via videoconference. The US agent’s first question was whether I had been in Culebra the previous day. I told the truth. He spent the next several minutes reading me the riot act about not having checked in when arriving in Culebra (they apparently have a 24/7 phone service). There was a lot of “Yes, sir”, “I apologize, sir”, “Of course, Officer”) on my part. He informed me of the fines and penalties for what I had failed to do. Fortunately, it ended there. I can only assume that many governmental agencies monitor AIS in their waters, and compare vessel names against a list of “legal” vessels.

I have two take-aways from this:

1. COVID has pushed a lot of the these island countries into getting tough. I certainly can’t blame them.

2. Local coast guards have limited patrol capabilities. I would think that they rely mostly on radar, and, when being used, AIS. If you are in any waters where you might, just MIGHT, not supposed to be, it would be best to turn off your AIS transmitter. Better to be an unknown blip on the radar screen, than a known vessel illegally in their waters.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

[...]

Brent Cameron

I would send it to a politician rather than to the bureaucracy.  In parliamentary democracies like the BVI (or Canada), the ministers are much more likely to actually go fix issues.  I had a quick look and the politician actually responsible for cross border management, national security and ship registrations AND tourism is the Premier’s office (they only have 6 other ministries so I guess he has the catch all).  His email is premier at gov dot vgand while he won’t likely answer directly, as a politician, he will have a staff of people ensuring that those issues are well dealt with.  His name is the Honourable Andrew Fahie (a bit of sugar helps too).     I have sent one to him directly too.  This is complete silliness as they will need all the tourist dollars they can get when this COVID situation gets back to some semblance of normal.  Glad to see they dropped the fines to 5% of the initial but it is still silliness.  Good on you for tackling this Kent!

Brent

On Dec 2, 2020, 11:55 AM -0500, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...>, wrote:
Oops

Info at bvitourism dot com
--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

--
Brent Cameron

Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Canada

You might want to check this video out on the BVI Government homepage in Facebook and comment using social media.

https://fb.watch/28Wpyn_Fhn/

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie St