C-Drive drain plug

Patrick McAneny

I ordered a bunch of parts from Maude ,including an O ring for the C-Drive drain plug. It came in a pouch with a crush washer ,the O ring was to large for some reason ,but my question is. Is there supposed to be a crush washer on the drain plug? There never has been since I bought the boat.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Pat, yes, but in my experience, 100% of the sealing is done by the O Ring. I believe that whether or not you need a washer depends on the vertical alignment of the V notch bolt.

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 7:36 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I ordered a bunch of parts from Maude ,including an O ring for the C-Drive drain plug. It came in a pouch with a crush washer ,the O ring was to large for some reason ,but my question is. Is there supposed to be a crush washer on the drain plug? There never has been since I bought the boat.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Patrick McAneny

Bill, I don't have the V notch plug , maybe that plug is a larger diameter ,which explains the oversized O ring. I have had little to no seepage of oil and I put a little grease on the o-ring,so should be fine.
[...]

My mistake, but the drain bolt also came with a washer

+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 7:36 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I ordered a bunch of parts from Maude ,including an O ring for the C-Drive drain plug. It came in a pouch with a crush washer ,the O ring was to large for some reason ,but my question is. Is there supposed to be a crush washer on the drain plug? There never has been since I bought the boat.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Ian Townsend

Same experience with us. I used grease and a smaller o-ring. No leakage after 6 months.

Ian & Margaret
Loca Lola II
SM153

On Mar 31, 2021, at 10:35 AM, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill, You are forgiven, I once thought I made a mistake, but I was mistaken !
Thanks Again,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Pat, yes, but in my experience, 100% of the sealing is done by the O Ring. I believe that whether or not you need a washer depends on the vertical alignment of the V notch bolt.

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Mar 31, 2021 at 7:36 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I ordered a bunch of parts from Maude ,including an O ring for the C-Drive drain plug. It came in a pouch with a crush washer ,the O ring was to large for some reason ,but my question is. Is there supposed to be a crush washer on the drain plug? There never has been since I bought the boat.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Ryan Meador

We also just did our C drive maintenance yesterday and discovered that the crush washer (we have one) and O-ring that Maud sent us are too big for our drain plug.  I contacted her earlier today about this, will let you know what she says.  Two years ago when we did this, we just reused the old washer and O-ring because we didn't have spares.  No leaks -- our oil level never changed, and the stuff that came out yesterday looked so pure I was tempted to put it back in again.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA